Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Olympics 2012 Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Boo! Hope Maria gets revenge for Wimbledon. Although I'm nervous about it, Sabine is a Wimbledon grass GOAT. (she is still playing doubles too though, so maybe she'll be too tired to bring her A game)

Shouting against Sabine how very dare you haha :D

Ha just kidding should be a great game. Ya watchin Tsonga? WIll it end before the final on Sunday :-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Lleyton Hewitt got the better of Marin Cilic today! Beat him 6-4 7-5. Great win for the Aussie!!! Kind of surprised by the result but it's Lleyton...the man is a fighter.

Djokovic made very short work of Roddick- 6-1, 6-2. Serb looked in fantastic form; players in the bottom half of the draw beware!!! Think he plays Hewitt next; ITF tennis site is down so can't check.

Tough one between Tsonga and Raonic. 24-23 in 3rd set. Canadian serving. Neither player giving an inch.

AFAIK, Wawrinka-Federer doubles match has been postponed til tomorrow.

MP Jo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,111 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Tsonga should close out this epic now.

What a point to finish the match!!!!:D

GO JO!!! Hard luck Milos!!!

• Advertisement

Get in Tsonga! Delighted.

Delighted for Hewitt not surprised to see him win myself the man is a different animal playing for his country!

Heather Watson up now. Hopefully she can advance

Ferrer on centre. Going with serve early in the first

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Jo and Milos are two of the nicest guys on the tour, such a shame they had to meet so early. Lovely smiles and hug between them at the end. Jo rolls on. Milos will be happy to get back on the hard courts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Get in Tsonga! Delighted.

Delighted for Hewitt not surprised to see him win myself the man is a different animal playing for his country!

Heather Watson up now. Hopefully she can advance

Ferrer on centre. Going with serve early in the first

Great stuff by Hewitt.

That Tsonga game was the Olympics answer to Isner-Mahut!! Good to see Tsonga get thru tho, bet whoever he plays next is pretty happy all the same!

Watson as much as I like her, she is playing Kirilenko who is as big favourite of mine, so would prefer to see Maria go thru.

Just as we get our breath back after cracking games today (stand up Mr Tsonga and Raonic), we have some more beauties in store tomorrow.

Centre court games are assured to go ahead with this dodgy weather and first up is hot favourite Serena Williams who should make light work of the woman she conquered in the Wimbledon 2010 final Vera Zvonoreva.

Next up will be crowd favourite LLeyton Hewitt (rocking the green and gold and that mohawk :D) versus the in form Novak Djokovic. The Serb will obviously be expected to coast through but Hewitt has been rolling back the years. He always gives it everything representing his country and you know he might just take this to 3 sets tomorrow!

Next up is home hero Andy Murray who'll be hoping Baghdatis isn't as tenacious as he was in that history making game at Wimbledon. I'd fancy the determined Scot to come through in 2 like today.

Finally Wosniacki gets ANOTHER gig at centre court. Daniela Hentechova (sp?) is rolling back the years somehwat and will be tough to account for. I'll go for the Slovak in 3!

Other games of note:
    Some Federer fella is up first on court one and ya know what I think he might win!

Match of the day on this court is the repeat of the Wimbledon round of 16 clash between my friend Sabine and TickleMeElmo's friend Masha! Let's hope for a repeat of sw19! :D

Venus Williams and Kerber on court 2 will be good too, I'd fancy the rejuvenated American in 2. Delpo plays Frenchman Simon also, the Argentine should come through.

The two WIlliams' should also breeze through in doubles versus team Italy featuring the grass-phobic Sara Errani.

Tomorrow also sees the beginning of the mixed doubles. Germany (Lisicki/Kas), America (Huber/Bryan) and Australia (Hewitt/Stosur) are all on duty!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

Just as we get our breath back after cracking games today (stand up Mr Tsonga and Raonic), we have some more beauties in store tomorrow.

A link to the schedule for later today here:

http://2012.itftennis.com/olympics/schedule/daily-schedule.aspx

A total of 32 matches :eek: - Brilliant! Looking forward to some lovely tennis,well only if the weather permits.

• Advertisement

There's been a lot of shoddy organisation by the ITF with this Olympic tennis (Wozniacki gets CC 3 matches in a row!!!) but I have to say I am really enjoying the rowdy crowds!
    Don't get me wrong, US Open crowds annoy the hell out of me, they never shut up, and the RG crowd are rude as hell, but it's the one thing about all the tradition and rules at Wimbledon that I think could be better. Maybe it's just because players are representing their countries more during the Olympics but the atmosphere seems amazing for most of these matches.

INSANE match between Sharapova and Lisicki happening. I might be sick.

INSANE match between Sharapova and Lisicki happening. I might be sick.

Great game. Fair play to Masha in the end. Sabine will be back! :D

Serena looks absolutely unstoppable though and really barring a miracle at this stage she'll claim gold.

Surprised Woz has gotten so far. Silver and bronze wide open you'd imagine. Great to see Kim playing so well and I'm sad to see Venus gone.

Well done to Lleyton Hewitt today gave Djokovic a real fright! Andy Murray showed great character too to oust the resilient Cypriot Marcos Baghdatis. No problems for Fed and Jo Willy will be relieved that he accounted for feliciano Lopez in reasonable time :D Big John Isner, Nicolas ALmagro and JM Del Potro also advance. David Ferrer is still going. He has just claimed the second set but lost the first one 6-0!

The doubles has been really exciting. Some atmosphere at these games. Switzerland the holders are gone. A real determined and gritty Israeli outfit beat them. Incredible support for the Israeli's. The French will not stop singing on court 4 for Tsonga and Llodra's tussle with India! Lovely to see such atmosphere and colour on show. The game is still ongoing however.

There was better luck for lleyton Hewitt in the mixed him and Stosur advanced comfortably!

Serena is looking so ominous!! You just know she badly wants that elusive singles gold medal! Wozniacki up next for her; she should brush her aside.

Looking forward to Azarenka-Kerber. That could be a good one! Hard to call it.

Great to see Clijsters into the QFs! I would love to see her get a medal. She plays Maria Sharapova next, looking forward to that one!:)

I don't know about ye but I'm delighted to see the big guns in the latter stages. grand the odd upset but I think you need the big guns battling it out to make it as interesting as possible.

I aged about 20 years watching that match today. Intense is not the word for it. Just goes to show how much the Olympics mean to the tennis players, despite all the talk that it doesn't.

Quarter finals day in the singles tomorrow. Can't wait!

Centre
    First up is Azarenka versus Kerber which with respect will be completely overshadowed by the Murray game on court one. Hard to call I'll go for the gritty Belarussian in 3.

Undoubtedly the pick of the matches is up next. Jo Tsonga had match points v Djokovic at RG and will be gunning for revenge here. He'll take heart in the fact that Novak showed vulnerability against 31 year-old Hewitt today. Sit tight folks this could well go the distance. I'll go Nole... just... in 3.

The Fed express will be in full flow next up and Rog should see off Isner in 2. The world number one did lose at this stage at the Beijing games to an American but it would take something miraculous for him to go out here.

Clijsters has been impressive in her final year as a tennis pro. Masha is the opponent who should probably have a bit too much for the popular Belgian.

Court One

First up is the ever consistent Andy Murray who saw off a very gritty Baghdatis today. He faces Almagro. Murray should be way too good you'd hope.

Next up Serena will demolish Woz no need to elaborate here.

Delpo will be expected to come through against David Ferrer's shock conqueror Kei.

Last up on court one is Murray/Robson team GB in the mixed doubles. Should be a good crowd out to support.

On court 2 Petra Kvitova and the Bryan's will be looking to progress. The Williams probably only have to turn up!

Roll on tomorrow!!

Devo that Tsonga and Djokovic are playing each other again, and not in a medal match. I was in emotional turmoil for the whole of their RG match and it was only when it was over and Jo was crying that I realised who I had actually wanted to win it. I'm rooting for Jo tomorrow, but if he looses Djokovic better win gold.

Kerber vs Vika should be a great match. Kerber has a nervous breakdown almost between every point, She had 5 match points at 5-3 in the Eastbourne final and ended up losing it, so Vika should come through that one, but it will be very tight. That said, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Kerber was to win it, the Olympics do strange things to a player.

Clijsters has annoyed me this year. She's half arsed it. She's fit enough to play now, so why isn't she playing anything between now and the US Open, and why is she ending her season there, when the WTA season doesn't end until October. I always cheer for Maria over everyone else, but I hope she has enough in her after today's match. Clijsters had a fairly routine win over Ivanovic, so she'll be the fresher of the two, but Maria was like a woman possessed today, so I hope she keeps going. I want her to get an Olympic medal. I know Serena will be hard to stop, but if they do meet it will be in the final, so she'd still get a silver, which I'd probably accept too :)

Almagro has had a great year, he could very well upset Murray, but the crowd support will work for Murray and Nico can get cranky at times so I'd say Murray will win, but again, it could be a close one.

Woz beat Serena in Miami earlier this year, she played out of her skin to do it though, and Serena has looked like a different player since her R1 exit from RG. So it's a tough ask for Woz. I never cheer for Woz, but I will tomorrow. Loudly.

p.s. I think it was badly done making Ferrer and Nishikori move court at 5-4 in the 3rd with Ferrer about to serve to stay in it. Playing one more game wouldn't have been that hard to do. Then move them if he tied it at 6-6.

I aged about 20 years watching that match today. Intense is not the word for it. Just goes to show how much the Olympics mean to the tennis players, despite all the talk that it doesn't.

AGree completely. I think this week proved what rubbish that is! Some of the players are honestly playing like they're in Wimbledon finals. They are playing with such passion it is insane. So many bruising encounters already and what's more the top players in both are all still around bar Ferrer and Aga. The battle for medals will be intense. Saying that the big 3 in the mens should take them however the order will be interesting. Fed is guaranteed silver really.

Serena will clean up in the women's most likely, interesting to see who gets silver and bronze!

I am completely rooting for tsonga/LLodra in the doubles!

Saying that the big 3 in the mens should take them however the order will be interesting. Fed is guaranteed silver really.

Serena will clean up in the women's most likely, interesting to see who gets silver and bronze!

I am completely rooting for tsonga/LLodra in the doubles!

I don't know about Fed being guaranteed sliver. Isner is notoriously hard to break and has beaten Federer this year already when playing for his country, so you never know. Federer being out of the doubles is probably a blessing for him, gives him one thing to focus on.

I hate that the French tennis federation paired Tsonga with Llodra. After his rant at Indian Wells about Chinese people, and then how he dealt with the fallout from it, I just can't cheer for the guy.

• Advertisement

Pretty good match between Azarenka-Kerber. Belarussian took the first set 6-4, and it's going on serve in the second. Some quality rallies so far. Would like to see it go to 3.

Andy Murray came through his match with Nicolas Almagro pretty comfortably, 6-4, 6-1. He'll play either Tsonga or Djokovic next...and hoping those 2 wear each other out later. I gotta say Andy is looking really good. Even though he hasn't be challenged by a top guy like Ferrer, Tsonga etc, there could be a gold or silver medal around his neck on Sunday.

Serena & Caroline are warming up on Court 1 atm. I'd be quite surprised if this went to 3 sets. No offence to Wozi but Serena is in awesome form.

TickleMeElmo you were right about Almagro getting cranky anyway! Murray was awesome though. Superb ace count. He is looking brilliant. Such consistency ANOTHER semi final.

Nole Tsonga be a cracker now.

TickleMeElmo you were right about Almagro getting cranky anyway! Murray was awesome though. Superb ace count. He is looking brilliant. Such consistency ANOTHER semi final.

Nole Tsonga be a cracker now.

Murray probably would have won anyway, but Almagro had a shoulder problem. That second set was basically just him letting Murray get the win and not a walkover.

Murray probably would have won anyway, but Almagro had a shoulder problem. That second set was basically just him letting Murray get the win and not a walkover.

Made zero difference he was non-stop moaning yet in the first set it didn't affect his serve one bit. His attitude is quite poor tbh.

That was the best serving performance I've seen from Murray in a while. He'll be very, very hard beat. The semi will be a belter regardless who comes through

Will Wozniacki win a game? Lol.

Serena is outstanding of course but from the, what is it, 7th best player in the world (?) that is simply woeful

So tomorrow sees the semi finals. ALready! No waiting around great stuff.

Mens Singles

Djokovic beat a disappointing Tsonga in straight sets on centre court. After a woeful start the Frenchman took the first 3 games of the second set but Nole found a break and never looked back.

He'll face his good pal Murray in what'll be a cracker. Andy had an easy time of it today. Genuinely cannot call a winner all I'll say is it'll very likely go the distance. Come on Andy!

Rog Fed had a battle today with big serving John Isner. The Swiss won the match in a tie-break in the second with the luckiest score you'll see. He'll be hot favourite to account for 2009 US open champ Del Potro (who beat the resilient Kei today). It won't be easy for Rog but I fancy him to come through in 3.

Women's Singles

Will anyone get close to Serena? She blew away Wozniacki today and faces Azarenka tomorrow. Barring something very special she'll get through this in 2. saying that Vika is probably the second best player in the world right now.

Masha and Kirilenko will be relieved to avoid the American and it is a great chance for both to get at least silver. The Russians had a mighty Beijing in the women's singles and they've continued that here with a chance of getting 2 medals. I fancy Maria in 2. She got through well today against Clijsters with a tough crowd at times near the end. Kirilenko was impressive to beat Wdon 11 champ Kvitova.

Doubles

The Williams' just dropped two games today. If they do not win gold it'll be absolutely miraculous.

In the mens the semis will be interesting with two French teams involved. The Bryan's will still be favourites to win though, although don't discount the Spanish pairing of Ferrer/Lopez.

In the Mixed Murray/Robson have just got through to play Stosur/Hewitt. happy for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

Very interesting set up for the Semis tomorrow.

The men's Semis would be quite tough but I predict Federrer/Djokovic victories. Murray has been playing quite well but I dont think he has enough to beat Novak. The other semi would be more interesting and tight; Del Potro has beaten Roger in big games and he went two sets ahead at the FO before Roger came back to win in 5, however I think Roger wants this title badly and will play the game of his life to secure victory.

In the Women's category, I can't anything beyond a Serena/ Masha final but we never can tell, both Azarenka and Kirilenko are dangerous customers and the former is current Number 1 but I will still my money on a Williams/ Sharapova final.

Masha and Kirilenko will be relieved to avoid the American and it is a great chance for both to get at least silver. The Russians had a mighty Beijing in the women's singles and they've continued that here with a chance of getting 2 medals. I fancy Maria in 2. She got through well today against Clijsters with a tough crowd at times near the end. Kirilenko was impressive to beat Wdon 11 champ Kvitova.

Which Maria? :D

They had a tough match at IW this year. Kiri was banging her racquet like a hockey stick in the middle of it. Hilarious. She's in the doubles SF too. Sharapova should win it, but I wouldn't count Kiri out. Russia guaranteed at least a silver though, so good for them.

Which Maria? :D

They had a tough match at IW this year. Kiri was banging her racquet like a hockey stick in the middle of it. Hilarious. She's in the doubles SF too. Sharapova should win it, but I wouldn't count Kiri out. Russia guaranteed at least a silver though, so good for them.

THE Maria :D Na Sharapova to set up a cracking final

• Advertisement

If Serena doesn't win gold in singles & doubles I'd probably die of shock!!!

Great match between Lisicki/Kas & Huber/Bryan! German pair came through 7-6, 6-7, 1-0. Hardly anything between the two teams. Fairly surprised that Bryan & Huber lost considering they're so experienced and probably know each other's games backwards. But delighted for Lisicki!:)

Murray vs. Djokovic. I've high hopes for this match!! If Murray wins the crowd will go ape. But I think Nole might sneak this match in 3 sets.

Federer vs. Del Potro. Both players in good form, Federer more so. It's gonna be a tough match. Federer in 2 sets, maybe in tie-breakers.

Advertisement