Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Olympics 2012 Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

RosyLily wrote: »
    If Serena doesn't win gold in singles & doubles I'd probably die of shock!!!

Great match between Lisicki/Kas & Huber/Bryan! German pair came through 7-6, 6-7, 1-0. Hardly anything between the two teams. Fairly surprised that Bryan & Huber lost considering they're so experienced and probably know each other's games backwards. But delighted for Lisicki!:)

Murray vs. Djokovic. I've high hopes for this match!! If Murray wins the crowd will go ape. But I think Nole might sneak this match in 3 sets.

Federer vs. Del Potro. Both players in good form, Federer more so. It's gonna be a tough match. Federer in 2 sets, maybe in tie-breakers.

Bryan was originally supposed to play with Venus, but she decided to focus on singles and women's doubles. She then lost singles the day after the cut off to sign up for mixed. Shame. I'd quite like Lisicki to win a medal, even if it is mixed.

I want Djokovic vs Delpo in the final. Then Murray to beat Fed for bronze.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Bryan was originally supposed to play with Venus, but she decided to focus on singles and women's doubles. She then lost singles the day after the cut off to sign up for mixed. Shame. I'd quite like Lisicki to win a medal, even if it is mixed.

I want Djokovic vs Delpo in the final. Then Murray to beat Fed for bronze.

Ah I see! I'd like to see Lisicki get a medal too. Fun to watch and a lovely demeanour on court.

I'd say a Federer-Djokovic final & Serena-Maria final. Surprised that Kirilenko has gotten this far, but happy. She's having a really good year.

I'd say a Federer-Djokovic final & Serena-Maria final. Surprised that Kirilenko has gotten this far, but happy. She's having a really good year.

She was very nearly in the SF at Wimbledon this year. The Olympics being on grass has suited some players a lot, and others have hated it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

If Serena doesn't win gold in singles & doubles I'd probably die of shock!!!

Lol- Surely, she would get a medal in both singles and doubles but I won't be over optimistic that she will have gold in both. I'd say she will probably exert power over Azarenka but Sharapova is just as good and determined as her. Sharapova is not playing doubles so better energy level overall-well I think.

You could be right but I would not be surprised if she gets a Silver in the singles which would make her mad to destroy any opposition in the Doubles.

I know Serena has been playing really well lately but she hasn't really had to face anyone of any real worth yet. Look at the US Open last year. She got to the final playing mediocre tennis but because she's Serena Williams most competitors have given up before they even play her. She lost that final too because Sam Stosur wasn't worried about her and played really good tennis.

That said, I'm not sure I'd bet against her.

She also said that she wouldn't trade her gold with Venus for a singles gold. That said she'd probably be happy to take both. I hope Sharapova gets to the final anyway. If she's in he bronze medal match I know she'll stuff it up and get nothing!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Guys, guys, guys. Serena is far and away the best female player out there. If anyone takes her to 3 sets from here I'd be amazed!

And about Lisicki. She's just about the nicest girl on the tour. Always has a smile on her face would love her to win a medal.

C'mon Andy though tomorrow. What a chance to prove you can beat the best. Rather Djok than Fed if I'm honest. Damn I didn't think I'd ever say such a thing even 2 months ago!!!

Go on I'll call a Murray/Fed final and Serena to walk the women's with Masha winning silver!

If Serena/Venus turn up they'll claim doubles. The Bryan's should too bar a shock! Rooting for GB in mixed, but I'd LOVE Sabine to win something. Roll on tomorrow :)

Exciting match between Federer & Delpo!! I feel sick watching it! Del Potro won the first set 6-3. Fed has had to dig deep at times to one up the Tower from Tandil. The Swiss just claimed the 2nd set in the tie break. 3rd set going on serve.

Bob & Mike Bryan are through to their first gold medal match after defeating the French pair of Julien Benneteau & Richard Gasquet, 6-4 6-4. Delighted for them, surprised this is their first chance at gold. Their final opponents will be either Llodra/Tsonga or Ferrer/Lopez. That SF will take place later on Court 1.

The Marias are on court now. Sharapova will serve first. I'd favour her against Kirilenko but it's not going to be easy.

Lisicki/Kas are playing Vinci/Bracciali on Court 2 in the Mixed QFs. The match is currently going on serve with the German pair leading 3-2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

On the edge of my seat watching the Federer/Del Potro match. Hard to predict an outcome to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

this is a nail bitter alright, advantage back to del potro after breaking to love...

This is hilarious. Some wonderful tennis from both of them, then some awful tennis from both of them. How Federer choked that away when serving for the match, I do not know.

Meanwhile.... Big Masha is serving for the match against Little Masha.

EDIT: Big Masha wins it, comfortably enough. Will go for a golden slam against either Azarenka or Serena. Tough ask, but she's guaranteed a silver at least. :)
    Hope Kiri gets the bronze, or the doubles gold.

• Advertisement

Ugh, I feel sick watching this match!! Awful tennis and amazing tennis all rolled into one!

Congrats to Big Maria! Golden Slam- impressive stuff! Extra special if Serena gets to the final. Both players aiming for a Golden Slam- so rare! Hasn't been done since 1988.

Lisicki and Kas are through to the Mixed SFs!!!:) Came through in 3 sets 4-6, 7-6, 10-7. They'll play either Hewitt/Stosur or Murray/Robson next.

Delpo lost :( So annoyed. Now someone I want to have a medal won't get one and Fed will get at least silver. Gutted.

Felt so sorry for Delpo! He's one of my favourites. Both players gave it everything. I hope Delpo gets the bronze and medals in the Mixed Doubles. He's a fantastic player. I'd love to see him get gold in Rio.

He's supposed to play Mixed now...surely they'll postpone it for a hour??

Serena out on court doing what she does best- make the No.1 in the world look like the No.133. Took the first set 6-1. Vika doesn't know what to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,770 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Delpo lost :( So annoyed. Now someone I want to have a medal won't get one and Fed will get at least silver. Gutted.

Federer made hard work of that last set .
    He was serving for the match and lost his serve to 0.He was 40-0 and 30-0 up on Del Potros serve in two games and didnt win another point in either game ,making alot of errors.
    He even made hard work of holding his serve to win the final game ,very nervy on important points .
    He converted only two of 13 break-point chances, the second coming in the next-to-last game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Great to see Fed thru to final, only caught the end of it and it was so exciting. Hope he wins the gold now, a gold medal added to Wimbledon title wudn't be a bad way to spend a few weeks in London :)

As for womens, as expected Sharapova beat Kirilenko easily enough. But Kiri is playing well, and be amazing to see her pick up the bronze.

Serena destroyed Vika a few mins ago, really enjoyed that as Azarenka is very very difficult to like. This loss will hurt her badly i'd say/hope!

In final can only see a Gold for Serena, she is playing way too well right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,770 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Stevecw wrote: »
    In final can only see a Gold for Serena, she is playing way too well right now.

It will be a procession ,Sharapova's one dimensional game is meat and drink to Serena.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭bing3

Anyone watching Spain V France in the mens doubles. Absolute cracker of a match!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Some win for Murray v Djokovic!! 7-5, 7-5. Def can only see Fed win gold.

Fair play to Murray to at least get a silver, impressive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Djokovic 2.0 is officially dead.

I'm not happy with the men's results. Mainly because it means Djokovic or Delpo won't get a medal. I don't mind Murray beating Djokovic as such, but he damn well better beat Federer now!

I'm delighted for Tsonga to be guaranteed a medal in doubles, but Llodra is a knob, can't cheer for him at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Stevecw wrote: »
    Some win for Murray v Djokovic!! 7-5, 7-5. Def can only see Fed win gold.

Fair play to Murray to at least get a silver, impressive.
    Who gets bronze?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Murray was excellent, for once his mental game was actually on a par with one of the "big 3", and he ends up winning in straight sets. Maybe a new Murray emerging, although I worry for him in a best-of-5 final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

Who gets bronze?

Del Potro and Djokovic play for it.

Murray really impressed me! Mentally and physically tough, he was rock solid throughout the match. It was a nice change to see him so happy and smiley at the end of a win. Just shows people that he's not a cranky ol' so-and-so.:) He has a mixed doubles match tomorrow, and possibly another if all goes well. Hopefully, he'll be fresh for the Medal Match on Sunday.

Is this the end of Djokovic 2012? Possibly!

First on CC tomorrow, Robson/Murray vs. Stosur/Hewitt. I think the Aussies might take this one. Next, Mens Doubles gold medal match, Bryan Bros vs. Llodra/Tsonga. Both really great teams and fun to watch. Not really sure how this will go; it's both teams' first time in this situation. Just gonna sit back and enjoy this one. After, Serena Williams vs. Maria Sharapova battle it out for the gold medal. Interesting one since both have the chance to get the Golden Slam. You'd have to favour Serena. She's been dominating the field so far. I hope Maria can put up a good fight. Nothing worse than an anti-climax!

On Court 1, Victoria Azarenka vs. Maria Kirilenko are in the bronze medal match. Not sure if Vika will be hurt by the Williams whooping and under-perform or whether she'll come out guns blazing. Would like to see Little Maria win; it would be a lovely surprise!:) Benneteau/Gasquet vs. Ferrer/Lopez in the doubles bronze match- this could go either way. Lastly, Lisicki/Kas await the winners of the first match on Centre. Hope the Germans get through.

Other matches to be played are Azarenka/Mirnyi vs. Mirza/Paes in the Mixed QF, Kirilenko/Petrova vs. Williams/Williams in the Womens Doubles and Raymond/Bryan will play the winners of the Mirnyi match in the Mixed SF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

GET IN ANDY!! Was racing so missed it :( delighted for him though. he'll do Fed too I reckon.

The women's will be a demolition job by Serena. No need to elaborate. Roll on tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

Maria has to do something drastic to change the way this match is turning out. She is being battered by Serena at the moment, but you can just sense things might change.

Silver is probably a better colour for Maria anyway, with her fair complexion...... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭bing3

Jesus this is embarassing for Sharapova. Could be a double bagel. Serena showing no mercy at all.

Damn, that was brutal to watch.

The all looked so happy on the podium though, and genuinely happy, not just pretend happy like when you lose a Slam final.

US flag fell off the thing that lifts them up during the anthem. Maria found it particularly funny.

• Advertisement

Not so much a match as a demolition derby. Career golden slam for Serena, almost as good as Steffi Graf!:p

Gasquet & Benneteau claimed the bronze in Men's Doubles after defeating Ferrer & Lopez 7-6, 6-2. Good doubles for the French. A bronze and a silver or gold to follow.

Bryan/Bryan have won the first set 6-4 in their final against Tsonga/Llodra.

Advertisement