Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Olympics 2012 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

looking forward to great mens final..there should be great atmosphere..

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

Yes this should be a good final. Weird over the past couple of weeks seeing all the lovely colours of gear at Wimbledon compared to the championships!

On a side note why in gods name is squash not included in the Olympics? Surely it's one of the most if not the most aerobic racquet sports with skill and agility more akin to athletics in general?
    Is it because it doesn't attract the crowds/sponsors/money that synchronised swimming does? :rolleyes::(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Simon201 wrote: »
    Yes this should be a good final. Weird over the past couple of weeks seeing all the lovely colours of gear at Wimbledon compared to the championships!

On a side note why in gods name is squash not included in the Olympics? Surely it's one of the most if not the most aerobic racquet sports with skill and agility more akin to athletics in general?
    Is it because it doesn't attract the crowds/sponsors/money that synchronised swimming does? :rolleyes::(

I don't know why it's not there, but how would it work as a spectator sport? I know you're kind of mocking synchronised swimming there, but it's in the aquatic centre and they can potentially get a few thousand people in there to watch it. I'm not sure how you'd get that many people into a good viewing position around a squash court?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

Good point , squash should be in there ....

Tennis
    Serena has to be doped , has to be bageling and bread sticking sharapova !
    Come on , she is doped or she is a he .... Oh wait maybe it's that.

And this final , I presume it's best of 5 ?

jcf wrote: »

Tennis

And this final , I presume it's best of 5 ?

Serena always beats Sharapova. She's in her head. Sharapova beat her at Wimbledon in 2004 when she wasn't supposed to and again at the YEC in 2004 and that is it. Serena has beaten her all 7 times they've played since then. Not at all surprising.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

COME ON ANDY!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,770 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

jcf wrote: »

Tennis

I think Squash was up for consideration for 2016 but Golf and 7 a side Rugby got the nod instead.
    It should definitely be an Olympic sport .
    I don't know why it's not there, but how would it work as a spectator sport? I know you're kind of mocking synchronised swimming there, but it's in the aquatic centre and they can potentially get a few thousand people in there to watch it. I'm not sure how you'd get that many people into a good viewing position around a squash court?
    They play in a large glass box so you can get a big audience,at least 5-6 thousand.
    Not really ,she is just physically stronger than all of the other female players.
    The female game is very one dimensional ,its all about baseline hitting so the harder hitter nearly always wins.
    Sharapova's power game is no match for Serena ,Sharapova is one of the most one dimensional players around and doesnt have the speed or footwork to keep the ball in play .

Not really ,she is just physically stronger than all of the other female players.
    The female game is very one dimensional ,its all about baseline hitting so the harder hitter nearly always wins.
    Sharapova's power game is no match for Serena ,Sharapova is one of the most one dimensional players around and doesnt have the speed or footwork to keep the ball in play .

Sharapova has some great shots in her arsenal. When her serve is on it's very tough to break her. She gets some great angles on her shots and her cross court backhand is a thing of wonder. However, Serena is unlike the rest of the tour in that she feeds of the power. Most of the women can't deal with the power of the likes of Sharapova or Kvitiova but Serena sends it straight back to them. You need to play a much cleverer match against Serena to beat her.

Federer is having a mare out there so far.
    His baseline shots are feeble,most of them are landing in the service box .
    This could be over in three sets unless he wakes up ,he is playing rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

ANdy is incredibly determined to get gold. Played the shot of the match just there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

Sorry for even saying this, But is Roger throwing the match?

This is nothing like his usual play

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

looking good for Judy Murray..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Not panicking yet. It's best of five sets. Federer has come back from the brink before.

Some excellent tennis from Andy!! Why can't he play like that all the time?

In the bronze medal match, Delpo is serving for the match against Djokovic. He's 7-5, 5-4 up.

Murray is playing brilliantly, as he has been all week. He usually takes a few matches to get going, and drops sets here and there but he has been 100% focused all week and he still is. Just hope it can last for another set and not give Fed the chance to get back into it.
    Federer is always shanking his shots like he is today. Difference is he usually gets the opportunity to recover himself and the points, but Murray isn't letting him.

8 games in a row for Murray .
    He started the Wimbledon final well and really should have been two sets up bar some miraculous play by Federer at the end of the second set to sneak it.

Federer looks tired and out of sorts ,I fear he is goosed.
    His back could be sore ,his serving is poor.
    53% first serve % in the second set and winning a pathetic 22% of points on his second serve,thats brutal.

We will never hear the end of it if Murray wins.
    Arise Sir Murray.

Congrats to Juan Martin del Potro!! He beat Djokovic in straight sets 7-5, 6-4 to take the bronze medal.

Emotional scenes from Delpo on Court 1. Delighted for him!!:D

Hope the rain stays away. A break and the roof on could change this around completely.

8 games in a row for Murray .
    He started the Wimbledon final well and really should have been two sets up bar some miraculous play by Federer at the end of the second set to sneak it.

Federer looks tired and out of sorts ,I fear he is goosed.
    His back could be sore ,his serving is poor.
    53% first serve % in the second set and winning a pathetic 22% of points on his second serve,thats brutal.

We will never hear the end of it if Murray wins.
    Arise Sir Murray.

They'll give him an OBE, CBE or a JCB first. :P

BBC Sports Personality of the Year too??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

Shocking stuff from Murray, I cant believe the way he is absolutely tearing Roger's game apart. Two sets up, cant honestly see a comeback now to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

tis very strange...just turned on the murray federer match and couldn't believe it was him playing. will be delighted for Murray if he wins and it's certainly looking like it but you want to win having some sort of a challenge surely...especially if you're playing Federer...

• Advertisement

RosyLily wrote: »
    They'll give him an OBE, CBE or a JCB first. :P

BBC Sports Personality of the Year too??

Lol no doubt about that! Plus if he wins the mixed doubles match too.

KINGVictor wrote: »

Bradley Wiggins will probably win the Personality of the year .

Federer is 0/9 for break points in this match.
    The Federer of old always took his break points .

I think Bradley Wiggins has that sown up, but you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

I dunno I'd say Bradley Wiggins could have a good shout at being Sports Personality!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

neemish wrote: »
    Sorry for even saying this, But is Roger throwing the match?

This is nothing like his usual play

If you have watched Federer over the last 4 years you'd be aware he has been replaced by his imposter Federror. This is nothing unusual.

Murray must be grateful to God for Nadal's injury and will be secretly be praying he never regains his form; because in my opinion, he got to the Wimbledon final and has a chance at winning the Olympic gold because of Nadal's absence.

Murray must be grateful to God for Nadal's injury and will be secretly be praying he never regains his form; because in my opinion, he got to the Wimbledon final and has a chance at winning the Olympic gold because of Nadal's absence.

Murray was in the same half of the draw as Djokovic. Which means Rafa would've been in Federer's half. So they wouldn't have met until the final anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Rather Murray win this than Wimbledon

Hopefully Murray keeps up this form for the rest of the year. He'll be a very strong contender for USO.

He's 4-2 up in the 3rd set.

• Advertisement

Murray was in the same half of the draw as Djokovic. Which means Rafa would've been in Federer's half. So they wouldn't have met until the final anyway.

Good point but I still feel Nadal has his number 90% of the time

Advertisement