Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Olympics 2012 Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

KINGVictor wrote: »
    Good point but I still feel Nadal has his number 90% of the time

I don't know. Murray has played the best tennis out of all the men this week. He wanted that medal and he wasn't messing around on his way to get it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

Still not a slam Andy ....

Well , thank Christ that disgusting human being Nadal didn't dirty the courts this time ....

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

like to see Murray win this as he may never win a major..

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

will they put the gold medal around judys head perhaps..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

jcf wrote: »
    Well , thank Christ that disgusting human being Nadal didn't dirty the courts this time ....

What does that mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

jcf wrote: »

Change the record will ya.

Wheres Lendl ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Tox56 wrote: »
    Providing Murray doesn't go into a slump again after losing a Grand Slam final, he has a very good chance here.

Not only does he have home advantage, he's obviously performed well on this surface recently, and I think the best of 3 sets plays into his hands against the Top 3. He can have trouble staying with them (physically and mentally) in best of 5, but he can produce the standard required to win in the shorter format.

Called it! Although didn't see him beating Fed in straight sets in a best of 5 match...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

Christ sake, now that that lurk has won we'll never be able to watch tennis on the BBC again.

We won't hear the end of this for a hundred years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Good man Andy! Delighted for the guy.. Olympic champion, incredible stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,765 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

If you have watched Federer over the last 4 years you'd be aware he has been replaced by his imposter Federror. This is nothing unusual.

Mats Wilander was saying last night that Federer now is a better player than he was 5 years ago.
    In fact he keeps on saying it and to be honest its a load of baloney.

His backhand is better now but his serve and forehand are poorer.
    Most importantly though his nerve isnt what it used to be.

I think Federer was tired though ,7 matches in a week is alot when you are nearly 31.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

What a powerful Olympics from Murray, brushed aside Federer today with ease

Mats Wilander was saying last night that Federer now is a better player than he was 5 years ago.

Mats talks a load of ****e. He's crazy. Can't take anything he says seriously.

But anyway, well done Murray. I never thought I'd be cheering for him, but after that Wimbledon final this year I wanted him to win this and to beat Federer makes it even better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

If you have watched Federer over the last 4 years you'd be aware he has been replaced by his imposter Federror. This is nothing unusual.

His backhand is better now but his serve and forehand are poorer.
    Most importantly though his nerve isnt what it used to be.

I think Federer was tired though ,7 matches in a week is alot when you are nearly 31.

Yea it's nonsense, he can still play amazingly well ( obviously as he is world no. 1) but if you look at clips of him on YouTube circa 2006 he's slowed down significantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

What a powerful Olympics from Murray, brushed aside Federer today with ease

Federer wasn't arse'd if you ask me

fryup wrote: »

Not arsed at all. He prefers the colour silver sure.

Yeah, that's right, he prefers to spend a couple of weeks in London winning the qualifiers and then spend nearly 4.5 hours to get to the final only to be not arsed in the final :confused:

Murray powered past him today, no question of the commitment of Federer

Yeah, that's right, he prefers to spend a couple of weeks in London winning the qualifiers and then spend nearly 4.5 hours to get to the final only to be not arsed in the final :confused:

He also had to win the longest first to 2 game ever to get to final.

You'd have to LOL at the Murray begrudgers indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

seriously - if it was a GS final he would have upped a gear no doubt about it

nah he wasn't 100% committed like a month ago, anyway he won gold in Bejing so it didn't bother him too much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

nah he wasn't 100% committed like a month ago, anyway he won gold in Bejing so it didn't bother him too much

Actually he didnt win Gold in beijing- nadal did. he didnt even qualify for the finals unless you meant doubles which is not the samething really.

He played his best and was beaten by a more inspired and better player on the day. i dont really like Murray but fair dues to him.

He won gold in doubles in Beijing, not singles. He's never won a singles medal at the Olympics before. He wanted that gold. You could see in his demeanour after and during the medal ceremony that he was not one bit happy.

Murray played him off the court, no doubt about it. I don't know if Murray will ever play as good a match as that again for the rest of his career but I can guarantee that Federer didn't just roll over.

The Olympics isn't even mandatory for the players. If he wasn't bothered he'd be in Toronto right now resting up and getting ready for the masters series and US Open.

Pure speculation, Murray was like a man possessed this Olympics

Maybe you should check the facts, Nadal won in Bejing

Murray was better than Federer today just like Federer was better than Murray 4 weeks ago :pac:

For sure Federer wanted this, he misses the golden slam , I think Nadal and Agassi are the ONLY male players with this ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

Nerves got Federer today. It was obvious even in the Del Potro match. These couple matches are possibly the worst I've ever seen him play in a tournament.

It was all on the line for him, whereas Murray had nothing to lose so he could just wail away quite freely.

Murray won today, but only because Federer didn't show up. Should Murray run across an angry Federer in the USO I reckon things will go down quite differently.

Well that is indeed that! A very enjoyable 8 or so days of tennis. Absolutely delighted Andy won in his home olympics. He was outstanding all week! Dropped just 1 set all week if I'm correct? Albeit in shortened format but that is bloody good going. Beat two players ranked above him too. He has a roaring chance in the US open. He's like a man possessed. Anyway couldn't be happier for him.

The women's was a p1sstake frankly. The standard is just very very poor. Serena blew away the field and completely deserved gold. Embarrassing how comfortable she won most games including the final.

Shame for GB in mixed but it was all about Andy's gold really. Still a silver is nice :)

Hard to believe the Williams' got gold. :P The fact they were unseeded was hilarious looking at how they blew away everyone. Fair play to the Bryan's too.

However what got me was the passion that players showed all week. You could tell how much playing for their countries meant to them. There is zero doubt as to how much this tournament meant to them. Great to see players like Lleyton Hewitt going so well. It threw up two of the greatest games you'll ever see too in Raonic/Tsonga, Fed/Delpo.

Anyhow roll on the US open. Only a few weeks now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Rob2D wrote: »
    Nerves got Federer today. It was obvious even in the Del Potro match. These couple matches are possibly the worst I've ever seen him play in a tournament.

It was all on the line for him, whereas Murray had nothing to lose so he could just wail away quite freely.

Murray won today, but only because Federer didn't show up. Should Murray run across an angry Federer in the USO I reckon things will go down quite differently.
    Not if Federer uses the same tactics. That's where he failed in a big way today. He seemed to play nearly every rally to Murray's backhand side. Even if he banged his head before the match and totally forgot that is Murray's stronger side, he should have realised after the first set and stopped doing it! It's one thing to say to attack the strength in order to open up the weaker side, but he wasn't attacking it, he was just rallying to it, giving Murray too many opportunities to take the initiative. At times over the last few years, when Federer has played both Murray and Nadal, it's like he just stubbornly refuses to use any tactics to neutralise their best shots and insists on foolishly thinking his weakest shot will be enough to beat their strongest, without the need to do anything different on his part.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Rob2D wrote: »

How about Murray was just a better player today? Federer played poorly for sure, but both he and Murray wanted this badly. How "everything was on the line" for Federer but not for Murray I cannot understand.

People have gone from claiming lost because he didn't care, to claiming he lost because he cared too much.

Murray has underperformed on the big stage before and the likes of Federer have brushed him aside. Today the opposite happened, and he deserves huge credit for performing to his best when he needed too.

cgpg5 wrote: »
    The women's was a p1sstake frankly. The standard is just very very poor. Serena blew away the field and completely deserved gold. Embarrassing how comfortable she won most games including the final.

However what got me was the passion that players showed all week. You could tell how much playing for their countries meant to them. There is zero doubt as to how much this tournament meant to them. Great to see players like Lleyton Hewitt going so well. It threw up two of the greatest games you'll ever see too in Raonic/Tsonga, Fed/Delpo.

I agree the women's final and some of the matches (all of Serena's) were a bit one sided, but some of them were great too. Sharapova against Lisicki was incredible. You could see how badly both of them wanted to win it and stay in the Olympics. It was really high quality too. Was sorry to see Lisicki miss out on the bronze today.

Overall though I think the passion the players showed is probably the highlight of the Olympic tennis for me. It's weird because I would think if I was a tennis player I would always be representing my country but it seems to mean so much more when they're wearing the colours and have the flag beside their name.

I'm disappointed with Djokovic's performance, I have to say, but he's had an up and down kind of year. It'll be interesting to see where he goes from here.

• Advertisement

I agree the women's final and some of the matches (all of Serena's) were a bit one sided, but some of them were great too. Sharapova against Lisicki was incredible. You could see how badly both of them wanted to win it and stay in the Olympics. It was really high quality too. Was sorry to see Lisicki miss out on the bronze today.

Overall though I think the passion the players showed is probably the highlight of the Olympic tennis for me. I'm disappointed with Djokovic's performance, I have to say, but he's had an up and down kind of year. It'll be interesting to see where he goes from here.

The passion was something else. We'll probably never see an Olympic tennis event like it. Fact it was at sw19 was great.

Yeah Novak faded indeed but was out of this world v Roddick. Had to dig deep vs Hewitt too and beat Tsonga handy. Interesting to see how he'll bounce back at US. Murray could well be the guy to beat.

Advertisement