Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Olympics 2012 Thread

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Rosy Lily,

Fair play to your Dad predicting Murray for gold. Must admit, I got this one wrong.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Probably doesn't need to even be said, but in his post match interview Federer proved yet again today what a top class bloke he is, always has the utmost respect for his opponents in victory or defeat.

Still delighted for Murray, I think he has been somewhat unlucky in rising to prominance at the same time three of the best players to grace a tennis court have been plying their trade, but hopefully there are even better things to come after this performance.

My only problem with mens tennis at the moment is that all of the top four players are very likeable individuals IMO, I hardly know who to shout for when there is a big game on :).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

marco_polo wrote: »
    Probably doesn't need to even be said, but in his post match interview Federer proved yet again today what a top class bloke he is, always has the utmost respect for his opponents in victory or defeat.

Still delighted for Murray, I think he has been somewhat unlucky in rising to prominance at the same time three of the best players to grace a tennis court have been plying their trade, but hopefully there are even better things to come after this performance.

My only problem with mens tennis at the moment is that all of the top four players are very likeable individuals IMO, I hardly know who to shout for when there is a big game on :).

Yeah , cos he showed Djokovic at last years US Open semi lots of Respect...
    :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

marco_polo wrote: »

Personally I'm never sure if I believe Federer's interviews, especially when he loses. I always think he just knows what he's expected to say and knows how to play the media game better than anyone else. I'm not sure how honest he is when he loses.

As for the top 4 all being likeable, I don't agree with that either. Rafa is fine when he's winning but he's a cranky little whinge bag when he loses. Granted I've criticized Roger for being too cool when he loses but Rafa is at the opposite end of the spectrum. Always some excuse as to why he lost, always some problem with the court, or the balls or the umpire or the crowd....

Personally I think Tsonga, Ferrer, Berdych and a few of the rest of the top 10 are much more likeable than Rafa or Federer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Personally I'm never sure if I believe Federer's interviews, especially when he loses. I always think he just knows what he's expected to say and knows how to play the media game better than anyone else. I'm not sure how honest he is when he loses.

As for the top 4 all being likeable, I don't agree with that either. Rafa is fine when he's winning but he's a cranky little whinge bag when he loses. Granted I've criticized Roger for being too cool when he loses but Rafa is at the opposite end of the spectrum. Always some excuse as to why he lost, always some problem with the court, or the balls or the umpire or the crowd....

Personally I think Tsonga, Ferrer, Berdych and a few of the rest of the top 10 are much more likeable than Rafa or Federer.

Yeah I'm not a fan of Rafa personally myself. Big fan of the other 3 though tbf. Saying that I think it's incredible to be in an era with some of the greatest tennis players (if not sportsmen) that we have ever seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,055 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

So Murray got gold here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,132 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

jcf wrote: »
    Yeah , cos he showed Djokovic at last years US Open semi lots of Respect...
    :rolleyes:

And Thomas Berdych as well at Wimbledon.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭vgv

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    So Murray got gold here

Yes and I for one am very pleased for him.Hopefully this will help him overcome the mental block he seems to have in GS finals and maybe we will see a different Murray from now on.Im glad though he has Olympic gold.In a lot of ways its more special than having a GS title.Hes definately in a different class from Henman and Rusedski.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

vgv wrote: »
    Yes and I for one am very pleased for him.Hopefully this will help him overcome the mental block he seems to have in GS finals and maybe we will see a different Murray from now on.Im glad though he has Olympic gold.In a lot of ways its more special than having a GS title.Hes definately in a different class from Henman and Rusedski.

Second favourite for US open too. If he gets his first serve perfect in the latter stages he'll win imo cos his return is out of this world. His first serve was all over the shop v Fed at Wimbledon but in the final set at the olympics I've rarely seen it as good (only conceded 1 point on serve in the set)

Advertisement