Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aeropress Question

• 10-07-2012 9:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭

Don't think I'm getting the hang of this properly. My process is to put the filter in the bottom of the chamber, spoon in the coffee as per serving, and pour water over. The problem is that a lot of water is seeping through the press and into the cup, diluting the result and not leaving me with enough water to plunge with. Is this normal? Do I over-compensate when pouring in water? Tamp the coffee to compress? Transfer to a new cup when plunging?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Funkstard wrote: »
    Don't think I'm getting the hang of this properly. My process is to put the filter in the bottom of the chamber, spoon in the coffee as per serving, and pour water over. The problem is that a lot of water is seeping through the press and into the cup, diluting the result and not leaving me with enough water to plunge with. Is this normal? Do I over-compensate when pouring in water? Tamp the coffee to compress? Transfer to a new cup when plunging?

Cheers.
    Sounds like the grind is too coarse if a lot of water is getting through..
    Look up the inverted method though, the point of which is to avoid any premature dripping!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Inverted method works best for sure.
    http://www.hasbean.co.uk/pages/Aeropress-Brew-Guide.html is a good starter guide.
    http://brewmethods.com/ has a few more too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Yeh I'll try the inverted method again - last time I tried I just winged it and ended up with mucky coffee all over the place. Cheers for the replies!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Regular Latte

If you do it the "normal" way up try this. After adding the water and stiring, place the plunger in the tube - just about 1-2cm. It should safely sit in place while you wait for the coffee to brew. I find that it creates a seal which stops the brewed coffee running in to the cup until you are ready to fully plunge. It also stops heat loss.

It works for me...:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

I'm a big fan of the inverted method, as per the reasons above. I know quite a few people are put off it when the Aeropress doesn't hold together when being inverted, and get sprayed with near boiling water, but it doesn't happen that often...

Currently playing around with a 5 minute extraction time on a really coarse grind, a la James Bailey at the World Brewing Championship - Tastes great, but waiting 5 minutes for an Aeropress can feel like it's defeating the purpose at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I'd never come across the inverted method for the Aeropress before, but having watched that video, why doesn't he put the cup on top before bringing the right way up? Just tried it that way and there wasn't a drip to be seen.

OP, I just put a filter into mine, filled it with water (no coffee), and held it over the sink, with and without the plunger in.

If I don't put the plunger in the top (not plunged, just at the very top creating a seal), then I get the volume of water you seem to be talking about. If I put the plunger in the top, that seems to hold the water in the reservoir (presumably it's creating a slight vacuum. I've left it sitting there about 5 minutes, and the level is still the same.

I usually follow the original instructions which were something like
    1. Put in filter and coffee
    2. Rest on top of cup
    3. Pour in water, and stir for 10 seconds
    4. Put in plunger and take about 20-30 seconds to push all the way down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Putting the cup up top works fine to stop it spilling.
    Make sure you have the plunger in a bit if you're inverting, as when you flip it the air will rush in and push the plunger out, but its a mistake you'll only make once :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

I pretty much follow the Hasbean method and I am very happy with the results.

If I am feeling especially groggy I use 20g of coffee rather than his 17g.
    I play around with the grind settings but I usually dial 25 on the Rocky grinder and it's fine.

One thing though:
    He recommends 1 part brew and 2 parts water. Now I enjoy a long cup of coffee but that's about 420 ml!.....Who has a mug that big?

I generally go with 1 part brew and 1 part water.

Any other suggestions/variations?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

What I do is I have a metal single serving tea pot which I bought for €2 from Dunnes Stores.

• I put my coffee into tea pot that and pour in my hot water, I stir it, then let it steep for about 5 minuets.
    • Put a filter into the chamber and put onto my cup.
    • Stir the steeped coffee before I pour into the chamber.
    • Give about 30 or so seconds before one last stir.
    • Plunge slowly over 20 to 30 seconds.

I find that no matter how fine the grind I get precious little coffee grounds in my cup.

It takes a bit longer and I do get a few odd looks from my colleagues but it makes for a great cup (at least twice a day :o ) and well worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

I'm intrigued...!
    What is the benefit of the metal teapot?
    Why not just let it steep in the aeropress chamber?

5 minutes seems like ages for the Aeropress - I just stir it for 10 seconds and steep for 30. Per the Hasbean guide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

Flyer28 wrote: »
    I'm intrigued...!
    What is the benefit of the metal teapot?
    Why not just let it steep in the aeropress chamber?

5 minutes seems like ages for the Aeropress - I just stir it for 10 seconds and steep for 30. Per the Hasbean guide.

The metal tea pot has the funnel spout for easy pouring into the chamber. I was using cups but it lead to a lot of mess when pouring. I also tried the inverted method but a near miss with hot water got me thinking...

I don't let it steep in the aeropress as I was finding that depending on the grind up to half the water would filter out before I was ready to plunge.

As for 5 mins steeping.... that was more down to the fact I would add the water to the coffee and then go prepare breakfast and then get logged into my PC.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Just a quickie...
    I can make two cups of coffee at a time in an Aeropress. Tight squeeze. But that's about it right?
    Have a three cup flask which I sometime use but can only get enough brewed up for two cups.

I'm watching the Gaggia Classic prices :D and it will happen soon!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Conba

I've done three but the results aren't great TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 dillonmr

try the inverted method (mind to hold both sections firmly when you flip it or you could have hot water scalding you).

If you do it standard wet the rubber of the plunger first, then when you insert it do it at a angle to get it into the tube about half a inch and pull back up which will create negative pressure and hold the water in.

In regards to grinds, if you are using pre-ground coffee i'd expect as well that its too course. I've found that the Aeropress works best somewhere between grind for espresso and a traditional cafetiere. Most standard shop bought ground coffee would be cafetiere. If you don't have a grinder buy coffee from a decent coffee shop and ask them to grind it (better yet from one that sells the Aeropress as they should have a good idea of the grind you need).

Hope that helps, plenty of youtube vids

My technique is (using paper filter, my own grind and inverted method):
    1) Pre-wet plunger and set up invert, and Pre-Heat Aero and Cup (also wet filter)
    2) Measure out grind and spone into empty Aero
    3) Pour in water (at 90degree) to just cover grind and stir allow to sit for approx 15secs
    4) fill water to just above the 1 symbol (inverted so thats the 4 normally), allow to stand for 25secs.
    5) connect bottom and invert over preheated cup
    6) press with consistent pressure to slowly extract coffee (should take 30secs), stop when you start to hear hissing.
    7) top up with water if you wish and enjoy

8) finally press aero fully over sink and knock puck directly into the bin and rinse out.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭MojoRisinnnn

dillonmr wrote: »
    try the inverted method (mind to hold both sections firmly when you flip it or you could have hot water scalding you).

If you do it standard wet the rubber of the plunger first, then when you insert it do it at a angle to get it into the tube about half a inch and pull back up which will create negative pressure and hold the water in.

In regards to grinds, if you are using pre-ground coffee i'd expect as well that its too course. I've found that the Aeropress works best somewhere between grind for espresso and a traditional cafetiere. Most standard shop bought ground coffee would be cafetiere. If you don't have a grinder buy coffee from a decent coffee shop and ask them to grind it (better yet from one that sells the Aeropress as they should have a good idea of the grind you need).

Hope that helps, plenty of youtube vids

My technique is (using paper filter, my own grind and inverted method):
    1) Pre-wet plunger and set up invert, and Pre-Heat Aero and Cup (also wet filter)
    2) Measure out grind and spone into empty Aero
    3) Pour in water (at 90degree) to just cover grind and stir allow to sit for approx 15secs
    4) fill water to just above the 1 symbol (inverted so thats the 4 normally), allow to stand for 25secs.
    5) connect bottom and invert over preheated cup
    6) press with consistent pressure to slowly extract coffee (should take 30secs), stop when you start to hear hissing.
    7) top up with water if you wish and enjoy

8) finally press aero fully over sink and knock puck directly into the bin and rinse out.

How are you pre heating the aero?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭Nexarz

I just set up invert method, plunger in just below 4 circle and sit the whole aero inverted and fill with hot water while I grind up the beans... Warms up the aero nicely. Usually just pour the water to my mug and warm up my mug :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 dillonmr

hot water around 90degrees for about 60secs.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

What about brewing tea in an aeropress?

Mod: Hi there, you're welcome to boards. I've asked for an admin to edit your current user name as I don't believe it's acceptable currently. If you have any specific alternate username in mind let me know asap and I'll see if it can be accommodated. Please drop me a PM to discuss further.

I hadn't thought of brewing tea in the aeropress but I'd say it's definitely worth a shot yeah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

With regards to brewing tea I don't think it works very well with the paper filter, there are reusable metal filters that might work.

Advertisement