Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G router advice.

• 10-07-2012 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hello,

Need advice on 3G router. Recently bought an iPad for my aunt as a birthday present, it's wifi only. My aunt has no dsl broadband at home but does have a Vodafone dongle from work who pays the bill, so looking for a 3G router to stick the Vodafone dongle in to send the signal around the house which would be perfect for use with iPad aswell. My budget would be no more than 50euro. Also once I get one is there much to do to configure the router, I presume I get the settings off vodafone.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Plug the dongle into her laptop(assume she has one if she has a dongle) and then use that to share the connection. Simples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Hello,

Need advice on 3G router. Recently bought an iPad for my aunt as a birthday present, it's wifi only. My aunt has no dsl broadband at home but does have a Vodafone dongle from work who pays the bill, so looking for a 3G router to stick the Vodafone dongle in to send the signal around the house which would be perfect for use with iPad aswell. My budget would be no more than 50euro. Also once I get one is there much to do to configure the router, I presume I get the settings off vodafone.

The problem with this is that 3G isn't broadband and that there's a whole section devoted to 3G...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1147 with FAQs and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭lotas

I bought one of these (http://www.maplin.co.uk/zoom-3g-wireless-n-travel-router-351516) a couple days back for mobile 3G connections for phones, laptops and my iPad... Works very well. They also have a desktop version (http://www.maplin.co.uk/zoom-3g-wireless-n-desk-top-router-with-auto-failover-351517) which is a little cheaper, does most of what the mobile edition does, but does not have a battery. advantages of them is they have ethernet, which means anything that needs a hardline connection can be connected (either direct if you only have one, or though a switch) and they also are only limited by IP address space, so you can have 254 "machines" connected, not the piddly 5 a MiFi gives... Finally, since it has a Ethernet socket, it can be upgraded to real broadband, if you get it installed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

They look good especially the portable one.

I have one one of these, which works well.

http://www.did.ie/tp-link-mobile-broadband-tl-mr3420

That said I only used the 3G to test that it worked, usually I have connected to UPC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

tp link would be my choice there!

not to steal the thread but it's the same subject really... has anyone tried the huawei b260a with 3 lately? are they locked to the network?

only asking cause i need a new one to use with a meteor sim card... done it before but just wondering if it's still the case that they are unlocked?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Wireless net

-=al=- wrote: »
    tp link would be my choice there!

not to steal the thread but it's the same subject really... has anyone tried the huawei b260a with 3 lately? are they locked to the network?

only asking cause i need a new one to use with a meteor sim card... done it before but just wondering if it's still the case that they are unlocked?
    i have a few b260's here from three, and they all came unlocked, i bought them as i knew they were unlocked, they are a good modem, and the web management is easy to configure....i have used o2 and VF sims in them no problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

i have a few b260's here from three, and they all came unlocked, i bought them as i knew they were unlocked, they are a good modem, and the web management is easy to configure....i have used o2 and VF sims in them no problems.

Cool thanks for that...

Do you know by any chance where and what they charge for the router on its own? I can't find them anywhere apart from 3

On their site you can get a no contract prepay 3 sim and the router for €109 which is all i can find... Can't find the b260a's anywhere at all apart from 3 Need one pretty bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭lighthouse

I'm thinking of buying the TP Link TL-MR3420 to convert my E122 dongle on the Three network into a Wi Fi Hotspot. Does anyone know that if I get a smart phone down the line would I be able to connect it to this device, i.e. create a wi fi hot spot from my smart phone. I could then ditch my dongle broadband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

Condi wrote: »

Cool, I didn't know Smart phones could be turned into wi fi hot spots. I'll probably get a smart phone at some stage, and ditch my dongle, that's why I'm reluctant to get three's router and tie myself into a contract. Are you with Three?

• Advertisement

They are fantastic speeds. Are they the HTC or dongle speeds?

Cool, must look into getting a HTC.

You're actually nearly at the limit, thats rare. Must be in direct LOS of the mast.

So are the HTC better than the Samsung Galaxies and I Phones in this regard?

lighthouse wrote: »
    So are the HTC better than the Samsung Galaxies and I Phones in this regard?

Its very much phone to phone with regards to aerial performance, so you cant say brand x or brand y. Unfortunately you dont see that many comparisons of real life 3G speeds between phones(can only compare 2 phones tested in the same place at the same time on the same network).

• Advertisement
Advertisement