Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on taking up piano/keyboards?

Options
  • 10-07-2012 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I am in my late 20's and play guitar & bass since I was in my teens, so I'm not new to music. I know a bit of theory, basic scales, but can't read music that well, but am a quick learner.

I've always kinda wanted to learn the keyboards/piano and am thinking of either borrowing a keyboard or buying a cheap one on Adverts to learn on.

The kind of stuff I'd be interested in playing at first would be After the Gold Rush by Neil Young, Golden Brown by the Stranglers, Sweet Home Alabama etc, simple stuff to begin with that I enjoy playing on guitar already.

Best option for me would be a keyboard as I live in a flat and am skint broke - two factors that aren't conducive to piano ownership.

Could anyone give me advice on how to get started as regards teaching myself? Any good books I could get from my local library or good websites. I cant afford to be forking out for lessons.
    Any advice much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Without proper lessons the best place is to look on the internet.
    You'll be able to find out about scales and piano chord structures.

There are a lot of instructional how to play videos on you tube.
    Some are really poor but some are quite fairly useful in getting the basics of a song..

Good luck with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

Thanks man I'll look up some stuff.

Advertisement