Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advise re Teaching Council

• 10-07-2012 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hello all,
    I am a post primary teacher who qualified in 2002. I have been teaching Business/Accounting and Economics abroad to A level standard since then. I have moved home this summer due to a change in my family circumstance. When I completed the dip I understood that having a Commerce degree enabled me to teach the above subjects. After applying to the teaching council I do not have the required credits for accounting or economics although I have both subjects in all three years. I was not aware of the teaching council while I was doing my degree and cannot remember mention of them while completing the dip. I would certainly have made different subject choices had I known this was a consideration.
    I am wondering if I have any case given my degree and h. dip seems to pre date the requirements {or was this the case in 2002 and I was just not aware) and I have been teaching the subjects for 10 years. Any help would be gratefully received.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 572 ✭✭✭forestfruits

They have a list of recognised qualifications on their site and according to it if you have a bachelor of commerce then your qualified to teach accounting business and economics, it just depends on where you gained your qulaification.

Have a look at this:

http://www.pac.ie/hdip/downloads/TRC07.pdf

This link you to some of the application form, I`ve heard quite a few stories where people were told they werent eligible to teach certain subjects to LC, then rand them and all of a sudden they could teach them. In one case she had to get a list of the amount of hours covered in each year that related to each subject.

If possible communicate with them via email so you have everything in writing!

Good Luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

I would say that if you emphasise your experience in all three subjects and that you hold a B.Comm then you have a fair chance of getting a job over someone with less experience anyway. I wouldn't be sure and you can bet it's not the official line but I imagine that it is the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

RealJohn wrote: »
    I would say that if you emphasise your experience in all three subjects and that you hold a B.Comm then you have a fair chance of getting a job over someone with less experience anyway. I wouldn't be sure and you can bet it's not the official line but I imagine that it is the case.

Not necessarily - will all depend on the prinicpal & how strictly they tow the line. Hopefully they are strict as I busted my balls getting recognition for my subjects.

The registration council was the organisation before the TC. They were within the dept of education. They would have granted you all 3 subjects based on your degree and the TC will now only grant you one. You have a case of discrimination as if you had someone who registered with the equivalent of the TC in 2002 and someone who registered today they would be awarded different subject recognition despite the fact they have identical degrees because the TC moved the goalposts without assessing the degrees or even communicating to the colleges. It's an open and shut case - trust me, I've being to hell & back with the TC about the exact same issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭drvantramp

Hell is not other people, Hell is the Teaching Council.

Maths crisis and teaching

Mon, Jul 09, 2012

Sir, – I was concerned to read about Dr Helene Suttle’s frustration in realising her ambition to become a teacher, and in particular her claim that “the Teaching Council does not accept engineering degrees for registration of mathematics teachers” (July 5th). It may help to clarify a number of issues in this regard.
    I would like to reassure your readers that the Teaching Council has a well-established process, whereby candidates applying for registration on the basis of qualifications in a curricular subject can pursue any one of a number of pathways to address shortfalls in the content that they have covered. The council has already identified a number of these pathways by which engineering graduates can address the shortfalls in their qualifications as they relate to the teaching of maths. It is open to considering other proposals from third-level institutions for modules of study to address this area of critical need.
    There is, of course, a bigger picture here. We believe that teaching is the most important profession in our society, second only in importance to parenthood in terms of its impact on our lives. It encompasses a high level of pedagogical skills and also a deep and comprehensive knowledge base. That knowledge base must be of direct relevance to the syllabus or curriculum to be delivered.
    As the statutory body charged with setting and maintaining standards in teaching, the council would be doing a disservice to the profession and to the public were it to accept anything less from those wishing to enter the profession.
    We in the Teaching Council are responsible for the quality of teaching of all subjects in our schools to our children and young people.
    We work with all stakeholders to ensure that this quality is of the highest standard. Our current and future students deserve no less. – Yours, etc,
    TOMÁS Ó RUAIRC,
    The Teaching Council,
    Maynooth Business Campus,
    Co Kildare.
    © 2012 The Irish Times

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭KaiserLu

New dept of Ed circular says teachers who aren't registered with the TC won't be paid AFAIK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

KaiserLu wrote: »

New dept of Ed circular says teachers who aren't registered with the TC won't be paid AFAIK.
    Oh you definitely have to be registered but I'm not so sure they'll be as strict on teachers teaching subjects they're not completely qualified for, especially if they're also teaching subjects they are qualified for, for example if the OP found himself teaching business and accountancy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭coolperson05

drvantramp wrote: »
    Hell is not other people, Hell is the Teaching Council.

Maths crisis and teaching

Mon, Jul 09, 2012

Sir, – I was concerned to read about Dr Helene Suttle’s frustration in realising her ambition to become a teacher, and in particular her claim that “the Teaching Council does not accept engineering degrees for registration of mathematics teachers” (July 5th). It may help to clarify a number of issues in this regard.
    I would like to reassure your readers that the Teaching Council has a well-established process, whereby candidates applying for registration on the basis of qualifications in a curricular subject can pursue any one of a number of pathways to address shortfalls in the content that they have covered. The council has already identified a number of these pathways by which engineering graduates can address the shortfalls in their qualifications as they relate to the teaching of maths. It is open to considering other proposals from third-level institutions for modules of study to address this area of critical need.
    There is, of course, a bigger picture here. We believe that teaching is the most important profession in our society, second only in importance to parenthood in terms of its impact on our lives. It encompasses a high level of pedagogical skills and also a deep and comprehensive knowledge base. That knowledge base must be of direct relevance to the syllabus or curriculum to be delivered.
    As the statutory body charged with setting and maintaining standards in teaching, the council would be doing a disservice to the profession and to the public were it to accept anything less from those wishing to enter the profession.
    We in the Teaching Council are responsible for the quality of teaching of all subjects in our schools to our children and young people.
    We work with all stakeholders to ensure that this quality is of the highest standard. Our current and future students deserve no less. – Yours, etc,
    TOMÁS Ó RUAIRC,
    The Teaching Council,
    Maynooth Business Campus,
    Co Kildare.
    © 2012 The Irish Times

Yay - our friends! Why oh why can they not just bring out something similar to the maths course that UL are providing....A summer course over two years for teachers to become qualified in their subject that
    (a) They may have been teaching quiet fine for the past 20 odd years or
    (b) A teacher who has a related degree or did first year of a subject to upskill to it?
    It seems like a no brainer for the colleges - college places and money. Keep the TC happy. And everyone is qualified and up on the knowledge they need! Instead of the current lucky dip bag of modules from OU or Oscail that may or may not satisfy criteria...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭drvantramp

Coolperson5

nail. on.the.head.

Advertisement