Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to buy xbox 360 slim hard drive

Options
  • 10-07-2012 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi there, I just bought a Xbox 360 slim 4gb and am looking to upgrade the hard drive. Does anybody know the cheapest place to get a 250gb or 320gb hard drive????

Thanks in advance:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I actually don't remember seeing these in any retail shops. They may be there but I'd say you'll be lucky to find any individual HDDs just lying around the shops. I reckon eBay, Amazon and play.com would be your best bets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I thought the expansion hard drives were for the older model xbox? You can get any external usb drive and format it for use for the xbox all right.

Easons are doing 500GB hard drives for about 70e at the mo.

See here for more info.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110701182347AAffiVZ

https://www.computing.net/answers/consolegaming/configure-external-hard-drive-for-xbox-360/326.html

External HDDs will only format to a 16gb partition on Xbox. Pretty worthless.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Only place I've seen them is on M$'s US site

Here's the instructions to install it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

get yourself a laptop hdd and use that.just do a quick google search for "use laptop hdd in xbox 360"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Squaredude wrote: »
    get yourself a laptop hdd and use that.just do a quick google search for "use laptop hdd in xbox 360"
    Do not under any circumstance do this.

I saw a 250gb HDD in gamestop in Swords for €99. Pretty steep but there realy is no other option unless you're happy with a 16gb external as mentioned above.
    The only thing about going for an external HDD is you may run into some issues downloading Xbox originals from the marketplace as a number of them require an offical Xbox HDD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭General Relativity

http://www.adverts.ie/xbox/250-gb-hdd-for-xbox-360-slim/1642609

This Guy is willing to drop to €77.

You be better off buying a 250 GB slim on adverts then just selling it with your 4GB HDD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

Felexicon wrote: »
    Do not under any circumstance do this.

Can you elaborate?

There are ways of making 250gb or 320gb WD 2.5" hard drives to work as normal xbox hard drives. Some work involved, sure, but it would cost ~e30 for s/h hdd instead of e99.

(to answer any further ban related questions - there was no single proven incident of console being banned for using Western Digital hdd in Xbox 360)

docentore wrote: »
    Can you elaborate?

There are ways of making 250gb or 320gb WD 2.5" hard drives to work as normal xbox hard drives. Some work involved, sure, but it would cost ~e30 for s/h hdd instead of e99.

(to answer any further ban related questions - there was no single proven incident of console being banned for using Western Digital hdd in Xbox 360)
    The reason there is no proven incidents is because MS don't reveal the reasons behind bans.
    This would count as console modding and should be avoided if the OP wishes to play online without the fear of a console ban.

I've been using a 250gb laptop hdd in my xbox for the last 2 years and I've had no problems.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't do anything that goes against Microsoft's intentions for how their hardware is used.

You are absolutely running the risk of a console ban. They do not support the use of external HDDs the way Sony do. If they wanted their console to be used that way they would have installed functionality for this by now.

I don't mean using it externally.I mean buying it and flashing the drive with the proper firmware and use it the same way you would use an actual microsoft hdd.

Squaredude wrote: »
    I don't mean using it externally.I mean buying it and flashing the drive with the proper firmware and use it the same way you would use an actual microsoft hdd.
    Oh right, well you definitely won't getted banned for that :rolleyes:
    Seriously though you must see that this is terrible advice to be giving a regular Xbox user who has shown no interest in modding thier console.
    What will your advice be if, a) they make a balls of it and fúck up thier console or b) they eventually get a console ban

Er, flashing the drive is considered console modification. If MS catch people doing that they will definitely be banning you.

Felexicon wrote: »
    Oh right, well you definitely won't getted banned for that :rolleyes:
    Seriously though you must see that this is terrible advice to be giving a regular Xbox user who has shown no interest in modding thier console.
    What will your advice be if, a) they make a balls of it and fúck up thier console or b) they eventually get a console ban
    Nothing is being done to the console,the hdds are removable.If you were to buy an official xbox 360 slim hdd and open the hdd case you would see that its just a 2.5" hard drive that ms have flashed with their own firmware.You can get this firmware yourself and flash it to your own HDD and use this in your own xbox.Have been using mine for over 2 years with no problems.But saying that ms could turn around and ban us all tomorrow
    Er, flashing the drive is considered console modification. If MS catch people doing that they will definitely be banning you.
    Well its been done for years and I haven't heard of any bans for it.I wouldn't have thought that using your own hdd would be considered modding the console.If he buys one from eBay he'll more than likely end up with a hdd thats been created this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Yes you are unlikely to get banned as a result of it, but Original Xbox games do only work on Official Hard drives, for some reason.

I misunderstood your post. I thought that you were talking about flashing the drive in the Xbox itself.

If it is just the harddrive itself you are modifying, then you shouldn't run into any trouble.

Advertisement