Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you answer private numbers?

• 10-07-2012 10:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭

Was reading a better another message board :pac: (i joke! i joke!) and the subject of answering private numbers on your mobile was briefly mentioned. Alot down right refuse to answer them :confused:

Do you?

For me, I answer them. I dont understand why people have such hatred for private numbers? Like if someone is acting the bollix with you constantly ringing you up via private. Totally understand. But there has been times where I had to ring via private. Them being:

- Landline. My old landline would always hide my number for some reason.
    - Borrowing someones phone to make a phone call. Either they would ask to private their number or I would do it automatically.

Do you answer private numbers? 148 votes

Yes.
    0% 0 votes
    No.
    100% 148 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

No, it's always the bloody debt collectors

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

No it's usually recruiters who have found me on the web

Anyone I want to ring me, I have the number or can call back.

And there is voicemail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

nope, never, leave a voicemail or text if you want to contact me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Stheno wrote: »
    No it's usually recruiters who have found me on the web

Anyone I want to ring me, I have the number or can call back.

And there is voicemail.

makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

yes. 2 of my aunties numbers come up as privite. I dont know why. Think they changed it at some point but no idea why???

does having your numer as privite stop them annoying survay people calling you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

No never answer them and if it's private I don't know them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Why wouldnt ya ? ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

yes. 2 of my aunties numbers come up as privite. I dont know why. Think they changed it at some point but no idea why???

No, I've had those feckers ring me.

They show up as normal numbers but you can't call them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Dont answer them,the silence button is your friend :)

Having your landline private would.
    Alot of companies just pull your number straight out of the phonebook.

as for mobile? if they got your mobile you be screwed. lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

Stheno wrote: »
    No, I've had those feckers ring me.

They show up as normal numbers but you can't call them back.

sorry. i ment landlines. is everyone else talking about mobiles or am i just retarded :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,304 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

I leave them to the message minder.

If they want to leave a voicemail. Fair enough.

And if it's someone I want to talk to I call 'em back

I just have a work mobile, no landline or personal phone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

There's another message board ?

LordSmeg wrote: »
    Why wouldnt ya ? ?

Why does anyone have their number private?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

why wouldn't you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

I'm too noisy to let it ring. Could be the love of me life on the other end ;)

hondasam wrote: »
    Why does anyone have their number private?

*ahem*

read first post much? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

If I'm the croke park agreement then no, I dont!!!

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,592 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Rasheed wrote: »
    I'm too noisy to let it ring. Could be the love of me life on the other end ;)

Would you make a lot of noise if they were?

• Advertisement

why wouldn't you

I dunno hence why I asked the question.
    *ahem*

read first post much? :pac:

I read it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

A lot of elderly people are ex directory so yes I always answer.

I'd set my work phone to private if I wanted to make a call that wouldn't lead back to my being phoned back on a work phone?

Always, I'd drive myself insane wondering who it was and why they were ringing me if I didn't. Also one or two people I know call off private number as they are ex-directory or ringing from work.

Its the height of stupidity not answering private numbers imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Yes. Parents are ex directry, comes up private/unknown.

Always, I'd drive myself insane wondering who it was and why they were ringing me if I didn't. Also one or two people I know call off private number as they are ex-directory or ringing from work.

It's the height of stupidity having your phone on private imo.

A lot of people have their landlines ex directory for very legitimate reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

If people want you that badly they'd leave a message/send a text

If people want you that badly they'd leave a message/send a text
    What if they don't know how?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭The_fever

I have no problem answering private number , the worst it can be is a conversation , won't kill me. But there is a way to make your phone always tell you the number ringing regardless of whether the person ringing you has chosen to turn off caller ID or not. I knew someone who had it can't remember how he did it though , think you need to know someone in vodafone or the like. Handy though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

If someone had their number blocked, it's because you wouldn't ordinarily take their call. So no, I'd don't answer those calls and I don't care who it is either.

Anyone I want to hear from will leave a text or a voicemail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

No generally not. People who know me know I don't either. Tell Landlines who are ex directory to dial 142 before your number if they want to contact you. That will make their number public when ringing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Generally don't.

However answered one by accident couple weeks back and it was one of those survey callers, gave them a fake mobile number though, they aren't getting that.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

Where To wrote: »
    What if they don't know how?

then they're deaf and shouldn't be calling you.

Please leave a message after the tone…

Where To wrote: »
    A lot of people have their landlines ex directory for very legitimate reasons.

I rarely use my house phone and few people phone me on the landline.
    I just don't get this private number crap tbh, send me a text first and let me know who you are and then I will answer, simple or leave voice mail.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

I never answer private numbers. It's never good. On the other hand, my home landline is Private no. and the missus rings my mobile on it a lot - I always answer her-how do I know it's her and not some other private number? I just do, no idea why. Rarely get it wrong either. Private no. = hassle, generally, unless it's the missus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

krudler wrote: »
    nope, never, leave a voicemail or text if you want to contact me

Wrecks my head then I get a missed call from a private number with no text or voicemail

About a week later i'll always get some eejit asking why I never returned his call! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭MaxyJazz

I Never answer private calls...I always show my number ..
    I get some voice mails that I never answer my calls !! I return the call and tell them they are on private/withheld ..hey presto next time they call me their number shows up ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I answer private numbers never really bothered me...

What the worst they can do? All i have to do is hang up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Never, anyone i know who wants to ring me from a private number knows to use the prefix 142 so their number shows up.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭Tommy Dillon

Pottler wrote: »
    I never answer private numbers. It's never good. On the other hand, my home landline is Private no. and the missus rings my mobile on it a lot - I always answer her-how do I know it's her and not some other private number? I just do, no idea why. Rarely get it wrong either. Private no. = hassle, generally, unless it's the missus.

you have a perfect excuse not to take hassle off the missus and you turn it down....

school boy error my friend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Most of the time.

Does anyone's phone sometimes say
    "Call
    Calling"

for some blocked numbers.

height of stupidity chart:

1, having your phone on private.
    2, not being able to use a phone.
    3, not knowing what a phone is.
    4, going for number 2 in the urinal.
    5, saying something is the height of stupidity. When it clearly isnt.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

Couldn't give a sh1te if the number is private or not. They're hardly going to kill me over the phone. It's just a bloody phone call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

antodeco wrote: »
    Would you make a lot of noise if they were?

Ha!Not much gets past you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Snowie wrote: »
    I answer private numbers never really bothered me...

What the worst they can do? All i have to do is hang up!
    Of course they can't do anything, but if you zoom into the fact that people hide their number for a reason, then you have to wonder why you should bother answering at all.

Telemarketing and a lunatic ex has taught me it's never a good thing. Even if it wasn't either of those two, I'd still want to be prepared for who I'm speaking to. There is a sneakiness around it I do not like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Yes, I nearly always answer my phone. Many office phone exchanges come through as a private number. Whats the worse that can happen? they jump out and grab me by the throat?

I'm not a child, if it's a sales person or similar, I politely tell them I am not interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 114 ✭✭mrwhimwham

Never answer them as god only knows who is on the other end. Especially really early in the morning or in the dead of night! What's worse is that I disabled my voicemail and the damn people just don't know when to feck off!

I totally agree its annoying and I dont like getting calls on private number but some people have no choice if ringing from work for instance or as was mentioned older people etc with private number so I just answer, as I said its a thing that plays on my mind if I get a call and dont know who it is.

I just think its childish not answering, its almost like people think they are getting "one up" on the person calling them by not answering. Whats going to happen stupid survey, you just say you haven't time etc etc. The way some people talk answering a private number is the equivalent of cutting off your hand.
    mrwhimwham wrote: »
    Never answer them as god only knows who is on the other end. Especially really early in the morning or in the dead of night! What's worse is that I disabled my voicemail and the damn people just don't know when to feck off!

I'd crack up if I got a phone call like that and didn't know who it was, probably wouldn't sleep wondering, I would just have to answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Rather like an unexpected knock on the door, a call marked 'private number calling' is seldom good news.

I tend to ignore both.

• Advertisement
Advertisement