Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you answer private numbers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭akura

Never!
    If i cant see their number, they can F OFF!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Back when I was a kid, before ID recognition. you never knew who was calling until you said hello. Like a fecking box of chocolates it was. Good ould days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Back when I was a kid, before ID recognition. you never knew who was calling until you said hello. Like a fecking box of chocolates it was. Good ould days.

Did you play the guessing game before you answered?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

Unless your a drug dealer you have no reason not to answer a private number

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 114 ✭✭mrwhimwham

I'd crack up if I got a phone call like that and didn't know who it was, probably wouldn't sleep wondering, I would just have to answer.

Ah it's not so bad. I generally don't tend to like people so ignoring phone calls is easy. :p

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Never answer them. Anyone I know I know their number anyway, so why would they hide it. Very childish behavior turning your number off. No good reason for it unless your a debt collector or something. Either way no good reason for me to answer. Voice mail or text it you want me.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Mickey,
    You just stumbled upon something.

For all the people who say they wouldnt answer a private mobile number... what about your landline? be it present or past as alot of people have had one and not everyone had an caller id handset. in fact, most people didnt.

Mickey,
    You just stumbled upon something.

For all the people who say they wouldnt answer a private mobile number... what about your landline? be it present or past as alot of people have had one and not everyone had an caller id handset. in fact, most people didnt.

I don't answer the landline either if it's private.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭frisbeeface

I don't answer them. If it's important there'll be a voicemail/text.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Of course I do! It's like a lottery, you might win big!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭ElectroJazz

Yes, because it's always the same person... me ma :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

No, I never answer it when it's a private number

• Registered Users Posts: 42 JuliaJones

I never answer private numbers, its generally work calling me then, I prefer have them leave a message letting me know when they want me so I dont get grief about going in for extra hours if they dont suit me, I wont be caught on the hop!

Having said that I hate missing a call from a private number and they dont leave a message,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Probably a bit of a divide emerging between those who owe people money fairly regularly and need to err, extend the credit period :D and those who don't, those who work for a lot of customers who often ring up whinging why somthing is not done/not done the way they want/not done fast enough and those who don't, and those who promise to do somthing for someone and then can't/don't. I'd fall fairly squarely into the 50/50 zone, 50% of people who ring me, I've a valid(to me)reason for politely avoiding them and then they ring me private number... not falling for that old bean, try harder:D Really sneaky feckers then borrow someone elses mobile with a number thats not private but also not on the "ignore for now" list and ring me with that -that I fall for sometimes, sadly for me.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Most of the time.

Does anyone's phone sometimes say
    "Call
    Calling"

for some blocked numbers.

Centralised/voip numbers do this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I always do. Telephone calls can't physically hurt you, you pussies.

Liam Neeson.
    That's all I'm saying.

Yes I do, don't have any debts or similar reasons for someone to hound me. :pac: UPC and Sky tend to cold call me but they've done so with their numbers displayed.

Sometimes the phone system in work goes wonky and blocks the number or sends an incorrect one. Since that started happening I've noticed a lot more calls not going through.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Most people who don't answer private numbers are a bit simple. Don't like the caller, hang up. Very easy.

Hmm. Don't bet on it. I can think of several hundred calls that have been fairly painful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I'm not sure where childishness comes into it. To me, blocked numbers are akin to answering the door to cold callers, fücking annoying. Like answering my phone, I won't answer my door unless I'm expecting someone.

To be quite frank, I'm sick of marketing and sales people, it's not childishness, I've just gotten a pain in the arse answering them. I've signs on my door but they still knock.

Everywhere you go, someone wants something from you, I'll be fücked if I'll allow people to do that to me at my own home or my own time any more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

always answer them,just mainly to see who it is and why they have it on private...oh ya i hate them..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Can someone give me one good reason why any mature person turns their number off on their own phone.?
    Everyone their calling probably knows their number anyway.
    Is it like, he he they won't know its me or what??:confused:
    I am genuinely curious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

Whenever I see a private number on my phone, I hide behind the couch.

token101 wrote: »
    Most people who don't answer private numbers are a bit simple. Don't like the caller, hang up. Very easy.
    your life must be very uncomplicated. You can't hang up on an important client, but if you don't answer, there might be a thousand innocent reasons why. Also, you must never juggle money. I juggle every day, I spend usually close to a million a year for work, often that means that you just bought somthing that was utterly impossible to pay for, for now. Next week, it might be no bother paying for it, so you stall. If you answer that private number, you might have a very p1ssed off supplier on the phone, someone who will be grand next week when they're paid, but is very not grand just at the minute. This situation also means that often you have a very, very p1ssed off bank manager on the phone, who again will be grand next week, but is very p1ssed off right now. Again, you don't want to answer till next week/tomorrow. Somtimes, life is not as simple for everyone. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Ireland is definitely a changed place these days. I remember it when it was like this :pac:

Pottler wrote: »
    Hmm. Don't bet on it. I can think of several hundred calls that have been fairly painful.

Physically hurtful painful?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Carles Puyol

Sometimes, if I'm not expecting a call or anything like that then no, I wouldn't answer it, why bother? Almost everyone I know has their numbers on show, so it'll more than likely be someone I don't want to talk to. I'll only answer the phone if I'm expecting a call from a certain person, my best friend has his number on private for some reason, but he rarely rings anyways, free texts ftw.

There's another thing.. People won't make a call with the ID on . But they'll happily text away 90...:confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

KoolKid wrote: »
    Can someone give me one good reason why any mature person turns their number off on their own phone.?
    Everyone their calling probably knows their number anyway.
    Is it like, he he they won't know its me or what??:confused:
    I am genuinely curious.
    Maybe they are elderly and live alone and have been plagued by crank calls in the past and the don't understand the 142 malarkey, just for example.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I don't answer them, the way I look at it is if they don't want me to know who they are then I don't want to know who they are either. If its important enough and they know their number is blocked then they'll switch to number displayed and ring back. I also never ever check voicemails.

But the prank calls are probably coming from other private numbers..:rolleyes:
    If they are not then report them.

Physically hurtful painful?
    As in I'm tired, it's late - if I answer the phone I might have to drive to Cork and can't refuse without losing a major customer? But if I don't answer, take a voicemail and ring them first thing tomorrow it will be grand, sort of painfull?? Yeah, that painfull.:) Normally ring me on private, knowing they're taking the p1ss, and it happens several times a week, usually. I have a hard life. My phone stops around 9.30pm, and starts at 7.30 am.

Great app
    Saves me having to even think about it.

your life must be very uncomplicated. You can't hang up on an important client, but if you don't answer, there might be a thousand innocent reasons why. Also, you must never juggle money. I juggle every day, I spend usually close to a million a year for work, often that means that you just bought somthing that was utterly impossible to pay for, for now. Next week, it might be no bother paying for it, so you stall. If you answer that private number, you might have a very p1ssed off supplier on the phone, someone who will be grand next week when they're paid, but is very not grand just at the minute. This situation also means that often you have a very, very p1ssed off bank manager on the phone, who again will be grand next week, but is very p1ssed off right now. Again, you don't want to answer till next week/tomorrow. Somtimes, life is not as simple for everyone. :)

If you're not answering phone calls to important clients then they clearly aren't all that important. Pissed off creditor? 'Yeah I'll pay next week, sorry about that'. I'd be a lot more pissed if someone was deliberately avoiding me. Could also be something where some family member needs to get in touch for some urgent reason. Maybe they didn't know/care that they were calling from a private number because it was urgent and thought their relative had a modicum of intelligence?

As in I'm tired, it's late - if I answer the phone I might have to drive to Cork and can't refuse without losing a major customer? But if I don't answer, take a voicemail and ring them first thing tomorrow it will be grand, sort of painfull?? Yeah, that painfull.:) Normally ring me on private, knowing they're taking the p1ss, and it happens several times a week, usually. I have a hard life. My phone stops around 9.30pm, and starts at 7.30 am.

But not physically painful. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Always, I'd drive myself insane wondering who it was and why they were ringing me if I didn't. Also one or two people I know call off private number as they are ex-directory or ringing from work.

Its the height of stupidity not answering private numbers imo.
    If you're not answering phone calls to important clients then they clearly aren't all that important. Pissed off creditor? 'Yeah I'll pay next week, sorry about that'. I'd be a lot more pissed if someone was deliberately avoiding me. Could also be something where some family member needs to get in touch for some urgent reason. Maybe they didn't know/care that they were calling from a private number because it was urgent and thought their relative had a modicum of intelligence?

They can leave a voicemail

Abi wrote: »
    I'm not sure where childishness comes into it....

Right about here:
    To be quite frank, I'm sick of marketing and sales people, I've signs on my door but they still knock.

Everywhere you go, someone wants something from you, I'll be fücked if I'll allow people to do that to me at my own home or my own time any more.

Yeah having a job where your only payment is commission is an awful pain in the hole alright. They're probably better off on the dole sure.

They can leave a voicemail

Is that how you'd generally respond to an urgent problem, 'Era sure, text me or something like' :pac:

• Advertisement

Indeed. That's why I have voicemail, and check it within seconds of getting one. As for explaining things to creditors, I don't have many, those I do know me and trust me, and it's usually just some bint in the credit dept. ringing to "remind me", like I've forgotten, I'll pass on that little chat, and anyway, it's my phone, for MY convenience. I'll answer who I want to answer if it's ok with the world. And if you're Private No. , your names not down, you're not coming in. BTW, I am a professional Mr Wolf, I sort out problems for companies and I am probably the most available person going, just show your number, or I'm not available.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Friend of mine's dad was a bank manager

He said to use before that it was standard policy that all Bank managers were ex-directory

I get emergency calls at all hours . They leave a message & they get called straight back. Generally get complimented on our prompt service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Of course they can't do anything, but if you zoom into the fact that people hide their number for a reason, then you have to wonder why you should bother answering at all.

Telemarketing and a lunatic ex has taught me it's never a good thing. Even if it wasn't either of those two, I'd still want to be prepared for who I'm speaking to. There is a sneakiness around it I do not like.

Well I never really was to worried about it or gave it much thought and still wouldn't... What other people do doesn't really concern me unless it involves me how ever a blocked/private number isn't really that important... Telemarketers well two words "not interested" hang up :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Is that how you'd generally respond to an urgent problem, 'Era sure, text me or something like' :pac:

I normally leave the handling of the emergency up to the emergency services :pac:

Indeed. That's why I have voicemail, and check it within seconds of getting one. As for explaining things to creditors, I don't have many, those I do know me and trust me, and it's usually just some bint in the credit dept. ringing to "remind me", like I've forgotten, I'll pass on that little chat, and anyway, it's my phone, for MY convenience. I'll answer who I want to answer if it's ok with the world. And if you're Private No. , your names not down, you're not coming in. BTW,I am a professional Mr Wolf, I sort out problems for companies and I am probably the most available person going, just show your number, or I'm not available.

Except for the ones instructing the 'bint' in the credit department :pac:

• Advertisement

But not physically painful. ;)
    I find 6 hour round trips late at night physically painful at this stage:) Usually inflicted by answering Private Numbers late in the evening. Leave a voicemail, usually, no-ones died, or will die, so it will keep. If it won't, I'll gather that from the voicemail and decide for myself, without the whingey guilt trippey, threatening stuff phone call.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I rarely pick up the phone at all :pac:

I normally leave the handling of the emergency up to the emergency services :pac:

Speaking of which, even the Guards numbers show up .. (4 digits)

I wonder how phones were much use before caller ID since 95% of people wouldn't have answered them.

There is no reason why I don't answer private numbers other than I can't be arsed.
    I'm not afraid of someone on the phone and I'm well capable of hanging up.
    I just don't see the point in why people hide their number.

• Advertisement
Advertisement