Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PhD Search

Options
  • 10-07-2012 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a science PhD position. I have an idea of the area I want to get into and have some labs that I would like to get into, a few are in the states. The only site I know of with a good database of available funding is the findaphd site and I haven't found anything of interest to me there that isn't self funded.
    Should I badger potential PI's with emails to see if they have funding or is there any other way to find out about potential funding particularly in countries outside of the UK and Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

For most labs in the states you dont apply to a lab, you apply to a program, and may or may not end up in that lab after you complete 3 rotations in different labs. Depends on availability in the lab and mutual fit....you both get to try each other out basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Bajingo wrote: »
    I'm looking for a science PhD position. I have an idea of the area I want to get into and have some labs that I would like to get into, a few are in the states. The only site I know of with a good database of available funding is the findaphd site and I haven't found anything of interest to me there that isn't self funded.
    Try www.jobs.ac.uk.
    Should I badger potential PI's with emails to see if they have funding or is there any other way to find out about potential funding particularly in countries outside of the UK and Ireland.
    “Badgering” probably isn’t the way to go, but it’s certainly no harm to contact group leaders you’re interested in working with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

I wouldn't 'badger' though I did send my C.V. with a letter describing my experience and research interests to well over 60 PI's. Strangely enough, one of the PI's passed my C.V. onto one of his colleagues who was to become my eventual supervisor.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Jay777

The US PhD application process is far more formal than in Ireland. As mentioned already you apply to a PhD programme, not an individual lab. Once accepted onto a programme you receive funding throughout your PhD and do not need to apply for funding elsewhere. The Petersons website provides information on graduate programmes in the US. To apply you will need to do the GRE exam which has both IQ and subject specific elements to it. For entry in Sept 2013 (its too late to apply this year) you need to get your application submitted in autumn 2012. There is a separate application fee for each University.

Expect to spend 5-6 years on your PhD in the US. The first year comprises taught modules and lab rotations. The lab rotations are a great way to experience the different labs and see which one is right for you. You then start your own PhD project in year 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

And to add to that, expect to pay from €700-1,000 on the applications alone.
    If you're going to go for it, you should apply to all the programs you are interested in and see what comes back.

Worst case scenario is that you end up with no offers or offers W/O funding. The more you apply for, the lower the chance that this will happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

Thanks for the advice lads/ladies. I didn't think the postgraduate applications would be so pricey, it's not something I can afford to do at the moment I have found some interesting projects closer to home in Europe. Thanks again.

Advertisement