Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using YouTube app

Options
  • 10-07-2012 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

I can't seem to create a space while typing using the controller on the youtube app, does anyone know how this is done have i just missed something very simply :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Look for a symbol like this one: ˽ - I think it's on the far right of the string of letters.

It's a pity they didn't implement proper text input with the new apps, like what they had on the console already from the beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 dickdasterly

Thanks Robert, yes it's a bit of a fiddle but it works ok for what it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭General Relativity

Im fairly sure 'Y' is space.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Im fairly sure 'Y' is space.

That's the generally space. Doesn't work on youtube and a fair whack of the other apps. Tis a pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Yeah "Y" doesn't work as space with youtube. It's feckin' annoying and I wish there was a much better layout for searching. Maybe even incorporate a qwerty board or the default xbox one.

Also I had to plug out kinect while using it as it'd pick up voice command and suddenly stop playing a vid just because I'm having a conversation with someone!

It's also quite hit and miss with certain videos. For example, I have to quit out of a video and go back in just to get it to play! Found this happening with the very first video of the search results, it just wouldn't load no matter how many times I tried!

• Advertisement

chin_grin wrote: »
    Yeah "Y" doesn't work as space with youtube. It's feckin' annoying and I wish there was a much better layout for searching. Maybe even incorporate a qwerty board or the default xbox one.

Also I had to plug out kinect while using it as it'd pick up voice command and suddenly stop playing a vid just because I'm having a conversation with someone!

It's also quite hit and miss with certain videos. For example, I have to quit out of a video and go back in just to get it to play! Found this happening with the very first video of the search results, it just wouldn't load no matter how many times I tried!

I wonder if a USB keyboard works with the app.

I get the problem loading videos as well. I find the search function to be a bit useless. I don't know if the Xbox doesn't have some videos but I've searched for specific videos and it doesn't locate them.

Overall I just found it be too much hassle and gave up using it.

Orim wrote: »
    I wonder if a USB keyboard works with the app.

I get the problem loading videos as well. I find the search function to be a bit useless. I don't know if the Xbox doesn't have some videos but I've searched for specific videos and it doesn't locate them.

Overall I just found it be too much hassle and gave up using it.

I'm heading that way myself! I don't have the keyboard attachment for the controller but was considering getting one as it's very handy to load up a few vids on there instead of looking down at a smartphone/laptop/tablet etc.

Search function is a bit hit and miss all right, but isn't it essentially the same as the mobile version that also loads up if you type youtube in to the ps3 browser window? (IE we're not getting the "full" youtube).

I might be ar$ed to message them a few suggestions, but I'm sure this has been done already.

chin_grin wrote: »
    I'm heading that way myself! I don't have the keyboard attachment for the controller but was considering getting one as it's very handy to load up a few vids on there instead of looking down at a smartphone/laptop/tablet etc.

Search function is a bit hit and miss all right, but isn't it essentially the same as the mobile version that also loads up if you type youtube in to the ps3 browser window? (IE we're not getting the "full" youtube).

I might be ar$ed to message them a few suggestions, but I'm sure this has been done already.

Most standard USB keyboards will work with the Xbox if you have one lying around. Although I'm not sure if it works with the app.

I don't know about the version. I just know it doesn't work the way I want it to :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Yeah it's a bit finnicky alrite takes a bit of getting used too... they should update it to be frank, I don't like using it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭spitfireIRL

Yup normal usb keyboard works fine with it

• Advertisement

There was a recent update for this app, tbh not sure if it done anything but there was an update never noticed any change. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

There was a recent update for this app, tbh not sure if it done anything but there was an update never noticed any change. :confused:
    I guess the idea will also be that SmartGlass will replace the need to have a keyboard plugged in to the console.

Your tablet / smart phone would be able to display a keyboard / keypad that would make text input easier. (Although SmartGlass is not due out until later in the year, but the SDK is with developers already).

That sounds neat, how would this work meaning, Bluetooth wifi?

It'd be an app on the mobile device and would work wirelessly would be my main guess. It'd be a nice change of using a cumbersome controller to type a bit of text! (Although, don't get me wrong it's much better than the ps3's controller!).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

It'd be wi-fi (on the same network as your XBox) and run as a Companion app on your iOS / Android / Windows 8 / Windows Phone 7/8.

The only down side is that the XBox app developers would probably need to update their apps to use it properly.

Here's a decent preview to SmartGlass from the Verge

Advertisement