Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Java cert on its own - any use?

Options
  • 10-07-2012 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭

Was lookin at doin the Oracle Java cert with Fas if I'm accepted, but I rarely see any entry level Java jobs, that dont require a degree or loads of others languages

Advice??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Melanoma

http://www.ecollege.ie/site/pages/courses/modules/javaProgSE6/javaSE6.html

I think this course if it is the one you mean is very basic. It would be a good introduction, you might be able to manage to do stuff like this without a course. Its no harm though to have the motivation and guidance.

My feeling is that you could do worse if your at a loose end as it will get you started. If your unemployed its free.

Where you would not be suited to work would be like communications engineering with a course like this. You'd just know how to programme a bit but nothing about engineering stuff.

I do not know how many jobs there are for people with coding alone though web development for example probably requires no hardware (inside the computer knowledge).

Once the course is done you might then have more ideas about where to go next and how to get there.

Paul.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Thats the online course, I think it's gone anyways

But it's the full time course I applied for

Course Certification
    Oracle Java Standard Edition 5 and 6, Certified Associate Exam. Oracle Certified Java Associate.

I did Semester 1 of an IT degree, so I have a good knowledge of Java programming already, but Im not sure how this course would compare in comparison, and if there are many prospects to continue the certification in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Melanoma

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79498080

This link might give you more information.

Given what you just said then I'd advise you to do it. The link mentions the next course to go onto.

Advertisement