Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Championship Thread 2012/13

• 10-07-2012 11:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭

All is quiet. Here is the new thread. Usual rules apply for all posters i would assume.

So lets all welcome Blackburn, Wolves and Bolton back home to the crazy unpredicatable nPower Championship ;) Nice to see Huddersfield promoted too, been in the third tier for far too long.

What is happening peoples? Who's taking your fancy for promotion/relegation?

All i can say is that although Forest have sold half their first team, we now, as of today, have Arab money backing us :cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

grenache wrote: »
    All is quiet. Here is the new thread. Usual rules apply for all posters i would assume.

So lets all welcome Blackburn, Wolves and Bolton back home to the crazy unpredicatable nPower Championship ;) Nice to see Huddersfield promoted too, been in the third tier for far too long.

What is happening peoples? Who's taking your fancy for promotion/relegation?

All i can say is that although Forest have sold half their first team, we now, as of today, have Arab money backing us :cool:

Anyone's guess seriously. Such an unpredictable division. Of the new boys I think Wolves have the best chance of coming straight back up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Of the relegated teams, Wolves probably have the strongest squad so they have to be favourites. However their new manager has never managed in England before, so that might make it a bit more difficult for them. Blackburn have made good signings but still doubts over Kean's management ability. Bolton do not have a great squad but Coyle has experience of the league so that is to their advantage.

Then there are around a ten sides who have to be looked as strong promotion contenders: Brighton, Leeds, Birmingham, Forest, Hull, Watford, Blackpool, Cardiff, Leicester and Middlesbrough. Then there is always a promoted side that are strong challengers.

Certainly will not be easy to get out of this division, especially with a the number of takeovers this summer. Will wait to give a proper prediction till closer to the start. Should be a great season though, definitely looking forward to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Are Forest loaded now grenache?

Really looking forward to seeing with we'll be like under the ownership of the Pozzo family and with Gianfranco Zola as manager. Exciting times at Vicarage Road :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I'm still laughing at the fact I tipped Forest to go up automatically and Cardiff to barely stay up last season. The opposite almost happened :pac:

This division is really too hard to call. Any 3 of around 15 teams could get promoted. I do think both Charlton and Sheffield Wednesday will surprise a few though and both could well be in the playoff mix come the end of the season. Steve Bruce should get 3 or 4 decent players in that he has worked with before which will see Hull there or thereabouts for the playoffs too.

Relegation is a bit easier to call in my opinion. I'd have Barnsley and Peterbrough down as two that have a great chance of going down, and the last spot to be taken by one of Huddersfield, Bristol, Palace or Milwall.

Like Kiwi, I need to wait a while to give a proper prediction.

Really looking forward to seeing with we'll be like under the ownership of the Pozzo family and with Gianfranco Zola as manager. Exciting times at Vicarage Road :D

Personally I thought it was a very poor move to sack Dyche. He had done an excellent job there and surely deserved more of a chance? The club looked to have a nice set up there with Dyche learning the ropes under Malcay and then moving into the hotseat himself.

How's Nosworthy doing for you mate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Are Forest loaded now grenache?
    Well, we have a few bob to spend. But a lot of the money will be going on the academy setup and investment in youth teams. We need defenders and wingers pronto though. 11 have left (including loanees) since the end of the season. Cotterill is not the right man for the job either. I'd like to see Billy Davies brought back but that's probably just wishful thinking. Al Hasawi is giving his first press conference as owner on Saturday when he will reveal all his plans, so we'll learn more then.

Paully D wrote: »
    Personally I thought it was a very poor move to sack Dyche. He had done an excellent job there and surely deserved more of a chance? The club looked to have a nice set up there with Dyche learning the ropes under Malcay and then moving into the hotseat himself.

I agree. Very bad form to sack Dyche considering what he achieved with such paltry financial backing. But as we've seen before, when new owners come in they want to do their own thing. Dyche is not their man so they feel no obligation of loyalty towards him. Football can be cruel. But if i'm honest i'm advocating that Forest ditch Cotterill too despite him keeping us up. So i can see where they're coming from. New owners have put the cash in so they should call the shots.

I agree. Very bad form to sack Dyche considering what he achieved with such paltry financial backing. But as we've seen before, when new owners come in they want to do their own thing. Dyche is not their man so they feel no obligation of loyalty towards him. Football can be cruel. But if i'm honest i'm advocating that Forest ditch Cotterill too despite him keeping us up. So i can see where they're coming from. New owners have put the cash in so they should call the shots.

I absolutely hate Cotterill. The man is a joke IMO and I hope you do get rid of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭irishmanmick

Another Forest fan here, very excited bout this season now.

Think the Euros have really helped Forest because none of the prem sides have moved for players yet and generally nothing happens in the Championship until the dust settles on all the premiership transfers. Will be interesting to see how much the new owners will put in this year, a decent investment goes a long way in this league. Can see Cotterill being the first casaulty, new owners will want their own man. A lot of talk about Darren Ferguson? Not sure bout that one but would give him a chance - if nothing else Peterborough play terrific football.

Defo wouldn't want Davies back - came to us at a great time but Billy Davies priorities were always Billy Davies. Given the new circumstances, I'd say a lot better candidates would be available to Forest now, without all the hassle.

Agree bout Dyche, but appointment of Zola is a good one I think. Plus Dyche will have no trouble getting another chance in management.

Impossible league to call as usual, waiting till nearer the season before I predict anything

Yep, agree completely. I was gutted that we sacked Dyche. He done fantastic with us last year with feck all money.

Nosworthy was great when he signed. Think we got him when Martin Taylor got injured and then himself and Mariappa have been great at the back.
    Agree bout Dyche, but appointment of Zola is a good one I think. Plus Dyche will have no trouble getting another chance in management.

Yeah, I hope all the best for Sean Dyche. But it was always going to happen that once the Pozzo family came in, they were gonna bring their own man in too, in Gianfranco Zola.
    Well, we have a few bob to spend. But a lot of the money will be going on the academy setup and investment in youth teams. We need defenders and wingers pronto though. 11 have left (including loanees) since the end of the season. Cotterill is not the right man for the job either. I'd like to see Billy Davies brought back but that's probably just wishful thinking. Al Hasawi is giving his first press conference as owner on Saturday when he will reveal all his plans, so we'll learn more then.

Cool cool. Always good to put money into youth facilities and the academy.

We signed to Czech lads on loan today from Udinese and Granada.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12691/7887299/Czech-pair-join-Watford

• Advertisement

I remember that Pudil chap scoring against Napoli for Cesena last season. He's definitely a great catch for ye. Don't know anything about the other chap but Czech's in general are technically gifted footballers so you won't go too far wrong.

Jermaine Jenas to rejoin Forest this week. 11 years after he departed the club as the most expensive teenager in Britain. Great signing. Michael Owen's name being mentioned too, probably wide of the mark. McCarthy due at City Ground for talks with new owners tomorrow afternoon. The job is all but his, according to those in the know.

I absolutely hate Cotterill. The man is a joke IMO and I hope you do get rid of him.
    Is it because himself and Howard Wilkinson broke all sort of records at Stadium of Light? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Junior D

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Of the relegated teams, Wolves probably have the strongest squad so they have to be favourites. Bolton do not have a great squad but Coyle has experience of the league so that is to their advantage.

Let me start off by saying that I support Bolton, so I may be biased.
    But out of the relegated sides I think Bolton probably have the strongest squads considering the signings they've made and some of our players from last season.

Hopefully Holden can came back playing like the way he was before his injury, same with Lee.
    Andrews was a good solid signing and hopefully Mills, who I would rate as a good player, can help steady things up. Wylde is a player who could really add something down the wings for us as well.

Although I was obviously very unhappy after our relegation, in a way it could be a good thing for us. Something like what Newcastle did, although I can't see it happening to the same extent. Maybe it'll give us a chance to rebuild and come back stronger.

A worry I do have though is Coyle. I think he is over-rated as a manger and some of his signings last season were pretty poor.

Target at least has to be top 6, a chance of promotion basically

SSN are reporting that Mick McCarthy has ruled himself out of the running for the Forest job. A bit surprising that because he seemed to be the favourite. Be interesting to see the reasons why he ruled himself out.

Is it because himself and Howard Wilkinson broke all sort of records at Stadium of Light? ;)

You're onto me :pac: I generally just don't him anyway but I guess a lot of it comes down to that.

He was a part of giving me one of the funniest moments at the Stadium of Light though. He was writing something down on a notepad and kept stopping and starting to write. Someone in the stand seen it and shouted down just as everyone went quiet before a free-kick was about to be taken ''what's the matter Steve, have you forgot how to spell shite'' :pac: The whole stand burst out laughing.

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    SSN are reporting that Mick McCarthy has ruled himself out of the running for the Forest job. A bit surprising that because he seemed to be the favourite. Be interesting to see the reasons why he ruled himself out.

Could be a bad thing, maybe the Al Hasawis are wanting to interfere too much in the running of team affairs.

Or it could just be that Mick got cold feet, and thought the owners vision was too much too quick.

There could be any number of reasons for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Any Sheff United fans in here..? oh wait its the Championship thread.. woohoo. Massive Wednesday are back in the 'semi' big time...cant wait.

UTO FTB TCIO

Any Sheff United fans in here..? oh wait its the Championship thread.. woohoo. Massive Wednesday are back in the 'semi' big time...cant wait.

UTO FTB TCIO

it should make you sad that the Blunts are not in the same division. There's nothing better than playing your arch rivals, and the Steel City derby is one of the best there is. I know that when the Championship fixtures for Forest came out earlier this month, the Derby games were the first i looked at. Nothing more exciting than playing your rivals.

it should make you sad that the Blunts are not in the same division. There's nothing better than playing your arch rivals, and the Steel City derby is one of the best there is. I know that when the Championship fixtures for Forest came out earlier this month, the Derby games were the first i looked at. Nothing more exciting than playing your rivals.

I did toy with this when they were in the playoff final but end of the day they dont deserve to be in the Champ .
    Was happy when they got relegated from Champ down to L1 last year so we would get to the derbys. Only ever been to Sheffield derbys, although once went to a Forest/Leicester game, but they are special.
    But you know what, we've alwas been the bigger team no matter what division so I think its time they had at least a year with the Yeovils and Stevenages without us just to see if they can remain the big club they say they are.

I do feel slightly sorry for them. Not much tho.

I did toy with this when they were in the playoff final but end of the day they dont deserve to be in the Champ .
    Was happy when they got relegated from Champ down to L1 last year so we would get to the derbys. Only ever been to Sheffield derbys, although once went to a Forest/Leicester game, but they are special.
    But you know what, we've alwas been the bigger team no matter what division so I think its time they had at least a year with the Yeovils and Stevenages without us just to see if they can remain the big club they say they are.

I do feel slightly sorry for them. Not much tho.
    I don't. Not got much time for them. Rivalry between United and Forest fans around the North Notts / South Yorks border is intense. They refer to us as 'Scabs' - referring to Notts miners crossing the Union Picket line during the 1984 Miners Strike. They always struck me as a being a very physical, even dirty team. Might have something to do with Warnock being in charge for so long.

I also dislike them for this. One of the saddest nights of my life:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Watford have been shopping. 7 signings announced:

http://www.watfordfc.com/page/NewsDetail/0,,10400~2865682,00.html
    GIANFRANCO ZOLA'S Hornets have received a perfect pre-season boost with confirmation of seven new signings today (Monday).

Goalkeeper Manuel Almunia and defender Fitz Hall have both signed one-year contracts with Watford, while five season-long loans - all using the strength of the Pozzo family network of clubs - have been agreed.

Midfielder Almen Abdi, along with forwards Matej Vydra and Steve Leo Beleck, have joined for 2012/13 from Champions League Serie A qualifiers Udinese.

Granada pair Daniel Pudil, a defender, and striker Ikechi Anya, will ply their trade at Vicarage Road on loan from the Spanish Primera Liga club.

Hornets' Technical Director Gian Luca Nani is pleased with the additions, and says there is more to come.

"We expect these players to make a very positive impact on Gianfranco Zola's squad," he said.

"We are constantly looking to add quality here for Watford, and this is a task which will be ongoing throughout the season."

For such a quality player, Jimmy Bullard has had more clubs than Lee Westwood.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19191986
    Jimmy Bullard leaves Ipswich Town after contract terminated

Ipswich Town have terminated the contract of midfielder Jimmy Bullard by mutual consent.

Bullard, 33, was no longer part of boss Paul Jewell's plans after only starting 12 matches last season.

"I need to be out there on the park on a Saturday afternoon, not sitting in the stands," he said.
    Play media

"I feel as fit as I've ever done and knowing that my opportunities were going to be limited at Ipswich, it's best that I move on."

Following spells with Peterborough, Wigan and Fulham, Bullard joined Hull City for £5m early in 2009.

However, his impact on Humberside was restricted by knee problems and, two years later, he moved to Ipswich on loan.

He made a big initial impression at Portman Road and was named Supporters' Player of the Year at the end of the 2010-11 season.

Bullard completed a permanent move to Ipswich 12 months ago, signing a two-year contract, but was unable to repeat his form of the previous campaign.

and Forest have snapped up Simon Cox for £2m

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19181121
    Nottingham Forest set to sign Simon Cox from West Brom

Nottingham Forest are set to sign striker Simon Cox from Premier League side West Bromwich Albion.

The 25-year-old, who joined the Baggies for £1.5m from Swindon Town in 2009, has been strongly linked with Forest over the past couple of weeks.

Reds owner Fawaz Al Hasawi tweeted: "Welcome to Republic of Ireland international striker Simon Cox, who has joined us from West Brom."

Cardiff V Huddersfield first game of the season tonight on Sky Sports 1 at 7:45pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

So Cox has gone to Forest, you'd fancy him to get 12-18 goals over the season. Damn.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

Predictions . 1st Cardiff . 2nd Blackpool and then for play-offs il go for Boro , Bolton , Blackburn , Leicester and surprise package Sheffield Wednesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Hull might be the surprised package this year. Some good signings made..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Cardiff won 1-0 with a 90th min winner

Quite odd seeing them play in red tonight. I'd be livid over that if I was a bluebirds fan. They changed their crest too, just to rub salt into the wound.

Cardiff won 1-0 with a 90th min winner

Enjoyed that game. Huddersfield could have won it if they had been a bit more clinical in front of goal but as the board went up for 5 minutes of injury time I said to myself that Cardiff would end up scoring.

Agree with Grenache when he says it was odd seeing them playing in red. I kept thinking Huddersfield in the blue jerseys were actually Cardiff. It'll take a while to get used to.

Leeds V Wolves in the early kickoff tomorrow. That should be a good game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

bburn for the win!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

blackburn 10/1 to win it, could be worth a bet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Cruel blow for Huddersfield last night. Really restricted Cardiff and I think I'm right in saying that the goal was Cardiff's second attempt on target. Remarkable really.

It's a killer blow for Huddersfield but they had plenty of chances and in truth probably should've won the game. They'll be looking forward to having Rhodes back up top.

Grayson has them balanced very well. Defend and attack in numbers and at pace too. I rather like Huddersfield. Well, I more took notice of them when Lee Clark and Terry McDermott were there but it'd be nice to see them do well.

Jack Hunt looks a quality prospect. Early days I know but he could be on the radar for some Premier League clubs in the not too distant future.

Didn't think Cardiff showed anything special. It's the first game of the season but they'll come across bigger and better sides and they looked very one dimensional at times with no real back up plan.

Still, a win is a win for them but they'll need to step it up if they want to progress further than the Playoffs come the end.

Will be interesting to see how Wolves get on against Leeds tomorrow. Could be a good 'un.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,499 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Thought the crowd was tiny for last nights match. Is it protesting at the jersey change? Kept getting mixed up between teams

Hope Wolves get hammered today, wish it was KO time now.

The amount of empty seats at Elland Road :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭kojack

Wolves back four looking very shakey at the moment.

• Advertisement

Nice goal. Great ball from Kenny to McCormack, whipped in and Becchio is there to stoop down to head it in from close range. So simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

The amount of empty seats at Elland Road :eek:

Apparently mid 20k at it

Q_Ball wrote: »
    Apparently mid 20k at it

Good crowd in fairness, looks bad with the camera facing the stand that is most empty though. Decent atmosphere all the same.

Good win for Leeds earlier

Boro, Birmingham and Bolton all losing as we approach final whistle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Watford come back from 1-2 to win 2-3! Goal in the 93rd minute. :D

• Advertisement

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Watford come back from 1-2 to win 2-3! Goal in the 93rd minute. :D
    You could call it the Italian job.

Predictions . 1st Cardiff
    :D:D

I'll have whatever you're smoking!

Quality stuff from Watford. Look forward to seeing the highlights! :D

I don't. Not got much time for them. Rivalry between United and Forest fans around the North Notts / South Yorks border is intense. They refer to us as 'Scabs' - referring to Notts miners crossing the Union Picket line during the 1984 Miners Strike. They always struck me as a being a very physical, even dirty team. Might have something to do with Warnock being in charge for so long.

I also dislike them for this. One of the saddest nights of my life:

Theyve always been a physical team, The likes of Bassett and 'Colin' Warnock leave their legacies. I think Danny tried to get them playing attractive football but after Macdonald got injured and Ched got sent down it exposed there real weaknesses.

Yeah the Miners strike, im sure our supporters would remind you of that but we've moved on. A long way. Never known such optimism around Wednesday. Milan and Dave Jones arent miracle workers but they know a lot of people. Signing someone on Barcelona B books yesterday is just astounding. Joss Barkley from Everton supposedly to follow in a couple of weeks.
    Im just hoping we stay up first and foremost but maybe people have other ideas. Have to stop giving 2 goal head starts tho.

Bolton vs Forest just about to kick-off, Sky Sports 1.

Great goal from McGugan, deserved lead for Forest.

Great strike alright!

1-1! A great cross came in from the left, Davies gets his head to it but comes out off the post. Eagles follows it up and lashes it low and hard into the net.

2-2!

Reid with a cheeky goal that gave the keeper no chance!

Love Andy Reid, great to see him on the score sheet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement