Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you rather be stranded in extreme heat or extreme cold?

• 11-07-2012 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭

So for arguements sake you are stranded in the wilderness somewhere with no civalisation for hundreds of miles.

Survival has nothing to do with it, just your personal preference!

Would you rather be stuck in the extreme cold or extreme heat?:confused:

Id probably go for cold myself.:)

If stranded, would you prefare extreme heat or cold? Nothing to do with Survival. 42 votes

Heat
    0%
    Cold
    100%
    Rabiesdavetheraveeventdmigsyaf_thefragile[Deleted User]preddyKirbyBryan4presidentCianRyanLizTmongdesadeRHJLady ChucklesdaysleepertonycascarinoKnex*CokeistanArtSmartbowsie010 42 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

TheBrinch wrote: »
    So for arguements sake you are stranded in the wilderness somewhere with no civalisation for hundreds of miles.

Survival has nothing to do with it, just your personal preference!

Would you rather be stuck in the extreme cold or extreme heat?:confused:

Id probably go for cold myself.:)
    Neither.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

either would i,dont go to countries with extreme heat ,or extreme cold = win win dont have to think about such a predicament,why ask the question unless youre planning on it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

Leitrim?

Extreme cold - one can wrap up as much as they need to but there's only so many layers one can take off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Depends on how much clothes I have with me.
    If I'm naked (like I am right now:eek:) I'll go for extreme heat please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭TheBrinch

Karsini wrote: »
    Extreme cold - one can wrap up as much as they need to but there's only so many layers one can take off.

my thoughts exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Cold
    funnily enough, i have thought about this more than once.

ultimately extreme cold equals extreme heat, the sensation would be more or less indistinguishable.

but it's the time getting to that stage of near death.

so, extreme heat for me.

either would i,dont go to countries with extreme heat ,or extreme cold = win win dont have to think about such a predicament,why ask the question unless youre planning on it..

always wondered what people thought...although id say most irish people are probably well used to the cold;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Cold
    Heat.

Easier to survive in extreme heat than extreme cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Cold. You can find ways to stay warm in the cold. Its harder to keep cool in the heat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Either. I just need to drink my own piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Cold
    Heat.

Think you'd die pretty quickly in both though.

Cold
    Sindri wrote: »
    Heat.

Cold. You can find ways to stay warm in the cold. Its harder to keep cool in the heat.

look, you're stranded. Stranded!!!! survival aint an option!!

This isn't a 'would you wear blankets if you were cold thread' or 'can you sweat it out and live thread'.

;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

Cold
    This post has been deleted.

Cold
    exactly. dissolving into a pool of mush, much better than shivering for hours on end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

Cold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Depends on the circumstances... If we're assuming I'm somewhat prepared with the right clothes then I'd pick cold as I can use snow for water and a snow cave could be dug.

If we're talking unprepared then I'd pick heat. I presumably have shade from whatever method I had of getting there in the first place. I imagine unprepared I'd die of hypothermia quicker somewhere cold than I would of dehydration somewhere hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

This has crossed my mind before....although I usually put it "Would i prefer to die from extreme heat or cold"....I'd go for cold any day.

Another one that I've thought of is if I had to choose would I rather be blind or deaf....for me it would be blind. I think I would go crazy if all i could hear were my own thoughts in my head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

Being caucasian my skin is more suited to extreme cold than extreme heat. Love the sun though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Define extreme heat and extreme cold?

40C+ for heat? -20C for cold?

I mean I'm going to somewhere with 40C+ heat shortly, so thats relatively normal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Cold
    Heat is far more comfortable than cold. You can strip off and spread out and just melt away. Cold is a horrible constant biting experience and I bloody hate shiverring and wanting to get to somewhere warmer constantly. Its always bloody cold in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Either. I just need to drink my own piss.

I can imagine you're going to hear about people found frozen to death with popsicles of their own piss stuck to their lips in the near future because they thought that's what bear would do:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

for small temperature differences I'd rather be a little too hot

for large ones I'd rather be too cold - easier to survive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

thunderdog wrote: »
    Another one that I've thought of is if I had to choose would I rather be blind or deaf....for me it would be blind. I think I would go crazy if all i could hear were my own thoughts in my head

Offtopic but dude... Sight is your number one sense. Sure you might be able to hear people but you'll never see anything pretty again (including the womenz), can't drive, no playing sport or if your lazy inclined no gaming, no cinema trapped in a world where you're not sure if it's day or night and whether your mates have swapped your Man Utd jersey for Arsenal again and so on and so on.

If I went blind I'd seriously consider ending it.

/offtopic

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭eug87

Extreme Heat.What u need to survive:
    Water
    Food
    Shade

Extreme Cold.What u need to survive:
    Food
    Shelter

Extreme Cool for me.You will have a unlimited supply of water from snow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Cold.

When you're in extreme cold, it is advised to rub yourself, and i have also heard, that if you stick your hand in the freezer (I'm sure the same applies to your whole body in the extreme cold.), It feels like somebody else is doing it.

At least if i was found dead like that, i would die knowing that people would know i was doing what was advised of me...

• Registered Users Posts: 6 vyron_xvvx

i'd rather be in extreme cold conditions considering there will be some ways to wrap up one way or another. plus if there is heat you will get thirsty a lot more and if its really cold there will probably be snow and/or rain which will allow you to have an unlimited source of water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

Cold
    heat

at least you'd get a tan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

No matter which one I pick, I'm pretty sure that shortly into the experience I'd be wishing I'd picked the other.

If survival isn't an option, I'd go for cold, I remember reading somewhere that one of the symptoms of lethal hypothermia is a sensation of extreme warmth, so you'd get both experiences with the cold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Cold
    eug87 wrote: »
    Extreme Heat.What u need to survive:
    Water
    Food
    Shade

Extreme Cold.What u need to survive:
    Food
    Shelter

Extreme Cool for me.You will have a unlimited supply of water from snow.

Eating snow will kill you pretty quickly.
    We could be in a lush rain forest with plenty of water and with the right no how, food. :)

Assuming I'm naked, I'll take heat.
    Both can kill you in a mater of hours but the cold will make things much harder for you.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Sindri wrote: »
    Heat.

In extreme cold you can put on clothes , use insulation , run about to keep warm

in extreme heat you dehydrate , so game over

for very short times you can stand extreme heat - human salamanders - better than extreme cold - falling into the ocean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Fierce mild for me please.
    Dylan Moran?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Cold
    Heat.

Hypothermia is horrible... Heat stroke is a bit faster. And as long as you can find some water and cover your head, you can stay alive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Okay so I'm in the wilderness.

Is there a lake or river nearby I can swim in, or am I stranded in say yellowstone ?

Depends where I am really. If I'm in yellowstone I'll take extreme cold since there's a heated geyser over there -- >>

If I'm near a lake or river I can swim in I'll take the extreme heat then.

*Note - are there trees around as well than can shelter me from the heat

Need more info OP, btw my real name is Ray Mears

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Cold all the way.
    There's nothing worse for me than being too hot, I simply cannot handle it.
    But I've never got any problem at all keeping warm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Surely if it's 'Extreme' you're gonna die either way!

Like being asked would you rather get hit with a ton of bricks or a ton of feathers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭FlapsOfDoom

Cold, because its easier to warm yourself up than cool yourself down.

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    Okay so I'm in the wilderness.

Is there a lake or river nearby I can swim in, or am I stranded in say yellowstone ?

Depends where I am really. If I'm in yellowstone I'll take extreme cold since there's a heated geyser over there -- >>

If I'm near a lake or river I can swim in I'll take the extreme heat then.

*Note - are there trees around as well than can shelter me from the heat

Need more info OP, btw my real name is Ray Mears

Ok, lets say your stuck in the middle of the hottest desert with no view of any shelter or trees, just endless desert.

And vice versa for the cold climate, stuck in the coldest snowy location possible with no sign of anything except more snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Survival has to come into it, your question is too vague to give a propper answer. Where exactly are we stranded?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭kart

Define extreme heat and extreme cold?

40C+ for heat? -20C for cold?

I mean I'm going to somewhere with 40C+ heat shortly, so thats relatively normal.

I dont think that -20C is extreme cold. More like way under -30C would be extreme. -20C is just a little disturbance. At least thats what i think, most of Europe has -20C for several months in winter and they don't consider that extreme. If it is long periods way over 30 then they start to call it extreme cold.

I personally would prefere extreme cold to extreme heat.
    But as said it all depends on circumstances. How long.. if u can prepare for it or not.. all sorts of things. This question cant be answered the way you put it. Do u mean live in a country of extreme cold or heat? Did u mean being stranded empty-pocketed til u die in a empty fields where theres nothing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

extreme heat = hell
    extreme cold = hell frozen over

Also have to take into consideration that there is a min possible tempture that is possible which is -273.15*C. There is no maxium limit.

Based on that i am going with cold.

Ps: not really related but i found this good. Is Hell Exothermic or Endothermic??

We're Irish, we are used to being stranded in extreme cold you see.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Ok, lets say your stuck in the middle of the hottest desert with no view of any shelter or trees, just endless desert.

And vice versa for the cold climate, stuck in the coldest snowy location possible with no sign of anything except more snow.

Okay - thnx for clearing that up.
    Now that I've read your more detailed post I would come to the conclusion that I would be F***ed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭kart

Ok.
    Still choosing extreme cold. Even more so in this case.
    If i'd end up not figuring out what to do, then at least death in cold is better. In cold you do feel frostbite, but can just fall asleep and thats it. It would be much more ****e in heat. And in cold you are supplied with water that u can get from melting snow, much more chance to figure something out in meantime (I have been in -40C, i have only been to about +35 tho)

Extreme cold.

You can survive in a space suit for up to 10 hours at fairly close to absolute zero. In fact you can survive without a space suit for a short time too.

Cold
    Extreme heat definitely.
    Hate being cold!

Extreme cold.

You can survive in a space suit for up to 10 hours at fairly close to absolute zero. In fact you can survive without a space suit for a short time too.

i dont think many people would have a spacesuit handy...especially if stranded :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

Cold. I get completely drained, sick & dizzy when it's hot, so I think extreme heat would kill me quicker than extreme cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Cold for me; I hate being too warm >.< And I find it's much easier to warm yourself up than cool yourself down.

I've always wondered does when you're born have anything to do with whether you prefer warm weather or cold weather? Anyone I know who was born during the summer always prefers warm weather, whereas I'm the opposite (born in January). I know that data is in no way scientific, and only really relevant to a few countries, but still, it's something I've wondered about.

• Advertisement
Advertisement