Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build Help

Options
  • 11-07-2012 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

1. What is your budget? €900

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming, video editing,Internet (all new/upcoming games)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Nil

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? I have a Western digital Caviar Black 1tb HDD, also I dont need a wireless card

5. Do you need a monitor? No

5a. If yes, what size do you need. --

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? 1920x1080, wont be upgrading. Only one monitor

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Keyboard & Mouse

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Maybe down the road

8. How can you pay? Anyway really

9. When are you purchasing? As soon as im confident on what I am getting

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Wont need help thanks

Additional info: I have to buy the parts from dabs.ie as I have a friend who works there and I can get a discount.

So this is just a foundation build to get us started and we can work from here im unsure about adding an ssd and im also unsure if the psu is overkill as I don't know if I trust the cheap ones.

Corsair Carbide Series 300R Gaming Case €82.00
    OCZ Technology PSU, ModXStream Pro, 700W - UK €83.16
    Gigabyte Z77-DS3H S1155 Intel Z77 DDR3 ATX €89.31
    Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz CL9 XMP €53.06
    Samsung SH-S222 22x DVD-RW SATA OEM (Black) €15.25
    Intel Core i5-3570K S1155 3.4GHz 6MB €227.45
    MSI GeForce GTX 670 965MHz 2GB PCI-Express 3.0 HDMI OC €391.74

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭v.e.r.b.a.l

+1 on the mistrust of cheaper PSUs. I went with the Corsair ATX750 and can swear by it if it's any help.

I can also vouch for an SSD. I'm running Windows and all of my apps (some pretty big ones) on it and, even though it's really only going to effect your boot times, it's pretty amazing. Photoshop, After Effects, Premiere Pro all load up within seconds! Hell, iTunes opens to pressing play on a song in less than 1 second for me! The only thing slowing down the process is how fast I can move the mouse!!

But, they are pretty costly, so only go for it if you can afford it. But I'd recommend one if you can squeeze it in at all. I'm running two: both Corsair Force Series 3 (one 120gb for OS and programs and one for fast disk caching for video editing stuff). The Force are ultra-reliable, ultra-fast and the business. I'm sure there are other decent ones too, but the read-write speeds on these are great for their price compared to others.

Are you planning on getting an after-market heatsink for your CPU or stick with the stock Intel one? Stock will prob do the job if you're not overclocking

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I'd give the ModXStream a miss. You'd be much better off with their newer series ZS and ZT. A good 550W one would do unless you want two cards (in which case you should look at getting a suitable motherboard).

http://www.dabs.ie/products/ocz-technology-zs-series-650w-80--bronze-power-supply-7H4C.html
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/xfx-550-watt-core-edition-full-wired-80--bronze-psu-7NSW.html
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/ocz-technology-550w-zt-series-fully-modular-power-supply-7TLZ.html

Now, as for the motherboard, that one doesn't support changes in CPU voltage (vcore) so overclocking won't be great. You're going to have to pay a bit more for a better one.
    http://www.dabs.ie/search?q=Z77
    I see the Asrock Pro4 for €110. As far as I remember, that supports 2 cards if you wanted to go down that route paired with a suitable PSU. I find that most people that buy motherboards that support two cards don't upgrade to two unless it was initially planned as after a period like two years, a single card usually offers a better upgrade than a second one.

Buy some different RAM. Those heatspreaders will get in the way of many large CPU coolers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ZiggyIre

Thanks I probably wont be using two cards, so I think ill go with the OCZ modular psu.
    Ill go on the look for a motherboard now!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ZiggyIre

Yep Im new to the whole ssd thing, so ill do some research and add one to the list, also I decided I will be over clocking so I will get an after market heatsink.
    +1 on the mistrust of cheaper PSUs. I went with the Corsair ATX750 and can swear by it if it's any help.

I can also vouch for an SSD. I'm running Windows and all of my apps (some pretty big ones) on it and, even though it's really only going to effect your boot times, it's pretty amazing. Photoshop, After Effects, Premiere Pro all load up within seconds! Hell, iTunes opens to pressing play on a song in less than 1 second for me! The only thing slowing down the process is how fast I can move the mouse!!

But, they are pretty costly, so only go for it if you can afford it. But I'd recommend one if you can squeeze it in at all. I'm running two: both Corsair Force Series 3 (one 120gb for OS and programs and one for fast disk caching for video editing stuff). The Force are ultra-reliable, ultra-fast and the business. I'm sure there are other decent ones too, but the read-write speeds on these are great for their price compared to others.

Are you planning on getting an after-market heatsink for your CPU or stick with the stock Intel one? Stock will prob do the job if you're not overclocking

Advertisement