Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTEA Query.

Options
  • 11-07-2012 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi all

I am not too sure whether this is the right place to ask this but anyway. I got offered a PLC for the coming year which is a level 6. I dropped out of a level 7 degree after first year in 2011 in DKIT. I was receiving the Maintenance grant. I applied for BTEA and as off yet I haven't got any answers.

Should I get the BTEA, Would it be possible to bypass the PLC route and go straight into DKIT and do another level 7 course? Although I missed the CAO deadline I was told that I could contact the admissions office and be put on the waiting list.

I was told that because I already received the Maintenance Grant for the first year of college that i'll not be able to get another grant (even though i've applied for BTEA ) for first year of college and the only way to bypass this is by doing a 2 year PLC and going into second year in DKIT.

Sorry if this confuses people redface.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭jaydoxx

IrishJames wrote: »
    Should I get the BTEA, Would it be possible to bypass the PLC route and go straight into DKIT and do another level 7 course? Although I missed the CAO deadline I was told that I could contact the admissions office and be put on the waiting list.
    redface.gif

If you are satisfy all the conditions for entitlement to BTEA for 3rd level study and you can successfully acquire a place on a course, then yes you would be able to skip doing a PLC.
    However at this point in the year it may be too late to get the course you want so perhaps doing a level 5 would be in your best interests. If you do decide to go down this route you can confirm your interest in a specific field AND get some relevant learning out of the way which will ease your transition into 3rd level education.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 IrishJames

So basically if i can qualify for the BTEA I'll be able t bypass the plc route?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭jaydoxx

Yes if you failed to complete a level 7 with the maintenance grant you can redo a course of the same level or higher with the BTEA scheme. But you must satisfy the requirements of the scheme which can be found here; [HTML]http://www.welfare.ie/en/publications/sw70/pages/abacktoeducationallowancebtea.aspx[/HTML]

Advertisement