Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rant.. hairdresser

• 11-07-2012 1:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭

Well I posted a thread a couple of days ago looking for a hairdresser rec in galway for thick hair (that I don't like). Really wish now someone would have recommended somewhere else after I got it cut today :( The place I went wasn't very "trendy" as I thought they might be quieter and able the spend the long time it takes to cut my hair.

I was a little early when I went in so was sitting there for a few mins. The girl who was supposed to cut my hair was a little late so another girl (the only other person there) washed my hair. She managed to splash water on my face 3 times, twice down my top and in both ears. She sat me in a chair and the hairdresser arrived a few minutes later. She aplogoized for being late and said she's late most mornings as she finds it harder when the kids aren't in school. I didn't mind about that.

She asked me what I wanted and I said I wanted it above my shoulders a little, but enough that it won't hit my shoulders and kick out for a while and to be longer in the front. I said I wanted my side fringe to be long, wide and to sweep across. I said I don't want it cut straight across and motioned with my finger across my eyebrows that I don't want it cut across there. I said the main thing I wanted was for as much as the thickness to be gone as possible, that I don't like the how heavy it is. She asked if I wanted some layers and I said "ya layers, and whatever you think will get rid of the thickness". When she started to part it I asked for a center parting and the side fringe parting to go in straight diagonally which she didn't know what I meant so she got me to do it. I said sorry for being awkward!

That all seemed fine and she chopped away while I read a magazine. She didn't seem to do much sectioning. All throughout, whenever I got hair on my neck she blew on my neck to get rid of it instead of using the brush for that (don't know the proper name). I thougt that was really unprofessional but didn't particularly care in another way. When she got to my fringe she cut it all in ONE chop and when I saw it in the mirror (as she was standing in front of me) she'd cut it all the way straight across my eyes. I said "but that's exactly what I asked you not to do" and she said "oh your fringe was so long before, that's the only reason it was staying over" and I said "no that's the way I always got it done!" She didn't seem to care. She asked me if I wanted her to cut in to it some more and I said "it's too short now as it is, so not if it's going to make it any shorter". I only realised after that that prob would have just made it sit better. She finished the rest of my hair and showed me what it looked like and said she could cut more off the back if I wanted. She never asked before or after that if the overall length was ok. And it looked like it was all the same length all the way round and not longer in the front like I asked. She said it was and I said "it must be very slight". So I said ya "take a bit more off". I stupidly looked at my magazine again and when I looked up she had cut more off all the way around! It looked really harsh and round on my face but she'd taken so much off the front that it was too short to be "long in the front" anymore. She feathered the edges in the front to make it slightly less boxy. When she finished she mentioned that she only put a couple of layers in so it wouldn't take away the shine. She didn't use a lightening scissors so I don't see how she how she could have tried to take away the thickness which is the main thing I asked for! It's very round all the way round, barely graduated, too big at the back and looks old fashioned to me. I think it may look even worse when I wash it. At the end she wiped off some of the hair on my cardigan with the brush for that and also gave one wipe to my face with it.

So basically EVERTYTHING I asked for she didn't do. And the one thing I asked her not to do she did! I was specific so it wasn't like she interpreted me wrong, and she acted like she knew what I was saying. She just did what she wanted and was unprofessional. It's not a terrible cut but it's not what I asked for and I don't like it on me. I hate it more and more as I look at it.

I'm going to my sisters wedding later in the week and because it's abroad I wouldn't be able to get to the hairdresser for an updo so I wanted it fairlly freshly cut for that but I am really unhappy with it!! I would got to another hairdresser to see if the could fix it (though they might wonder what they're fixing as it's not that bad a cut as I said, just none of the things I asked for). The fringe is too short to do anything with except maybe soften it slightly but I hate how short it is and that's the real problem". The front is too short to be much longer than the back now unless I go even shorter at the back but I didn't want it that short and it might be too short. The only thing I could really get done is more layers in the back and up higher I think so the back looks thinner and maybe not so round all the way around my head (I think she may have only done one layer an inch from the bottom and no other thinning).

UH I doubt anyone is still with me but I'm so annoyed and upset :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I got a really bad haircut in summer 2010. It felt absolutely terrible and I hated looking at it in the mirror. The fringe was far too short and the ends were all one length and too short.

But a few weeks later it had grown a bit and I had got used to it.

It's really tough but it will get better! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Shauna16

I think when u wash and style it yourself it won't be as bad as u thought!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

You could go back and say you werent satisfied with the cut(although you should have done it at that occasion it maybe a little late now),but if you really feel that strongly about it go back and see what can be done(can you remember her name),if you can you got a stronger case..And ask for a free second hair cut to correct the first..

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭bonnie1810

Hi glitterbug I was in the same position as you a couple of weeks ago wanted my fringe cut the way that it had been previously cut (think zooey deschanel) ended up with a baby fringe :( (google it). I went to another hairdresser after the cut to see if there was some way that they could teach me to style it to help hide it. Maybe try and see if you can do that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I think we have all been there.

There is nothing more upsetting than a bad haircut, especially as they are so expensive now. You're paying for a service and they should listen to you, and most stylists are fantastic at what they do but unfortunately some people who are hairdressers are not suited to it at all!

Bonnie I got a Baby Fringe once too - and it was NOT what I wanted! Jesus how upsetting is it? It made my face look so odd....

The last really bad haircut I got was in Summer 2010. I have really long straight thick hair, and I asked for about an inch off the ends and just to get the layers around the front and my fringe tidied up.

She took twice as long as most hairdressers did and I realised halfway through that she had taken about 4 or 5 inches off my hair (A lot when you've spent years growing it, and I get it trimmed regularly so it isn't in bad nick). She gave me the MOST dramatic short layers at the front, it was nearly like a Rachel but with long hair - it might have been nice on someone else but jesus it wasn't what I asked for. She also totally botched my fringe (uneven cut, some strands not cut at all, had to do them myself with a scissors when I got home).

The important thing to remember is that you'll get over it. Hair grows, faster than you think.

I know what she's done to your fringe but I would say yes, deffo go get it softened in another hairdresser as it helps no end (I know you dont want to go shorter but it's the only way to get the right shape back, plus you know how fast fringes grow, bitta hairspray while it gets the length back into it, you'll be grand).

It's sad that you've had a bad experience, but they do happen to us all.

I wish I could recommend you a new hairdresser but I'm in Dublin I'm afraid!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭bonnie1810

the baby fringe made my forehead look huge ... anyway back on topic Im based in Galway City I went to Mark Anthony its opposite the exit of debenhams carpark the're really good they showed me a way to hide the fringe and I got my last hair cut off them and it was brilliant they really know what there doing in there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

I feel for you OP, getting the exact opposite of what you asked for is so frustrating. Same thing happened me about two months ago, I asked for a full fringe and about an inch off the rest of my hair, with layers all round to lighten the thickness. She refused to give me a full fringe as she said it wouldn't sit right. So I said ok, side part it as normal and give me a side fringe with layers all round.
    Looked up from my magazine to find a centre part and two lumps of hair on either side of my face, 'curtains' basically, what boybands used to have in the 90s. Cue me going mad and she would still only move the parting a tiny bit to the side, and just kept saying it wouldn't sit right. I've had my hair side parted for about 10 years, I'm fairly sure I know how it sits! :mad:
    I've been forced to clip it all up since and it'll be another two months I'd say before it'll be long enough to get cut again into the proper style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Yup, I know the feeling! Got my hair done in May in Limerick. I asked for a dip dye (which they didn't understand) which included a bit under my side fringe which was to be trimmed later. That caused a whole hullaballoo as they tried to figure out how they'd manage that. :rolleyes: Finally got it dyed after telling them to just follow the faded lines of my old dip dye.
    Was brought to get my hair washed, had to wait a while for a sink to be free, although all the sinks were empty when I went over. Was put to a sink that was too stiff to move and since I'm tall, was cramped the whole time. The girl washing my hair was talking to another hairdresser who was trying to figure out what it was that was done with my hair. :confused: Anyway, after waiting another 15 mins after my hair was washed for a free seat, I got another girl to cut my hair.
    I asked for a trim, just enough to get the dead ends off but keep as much length as possible. I asked for layers and my side fringe cut back into shape. Away she went, spent ages shaping my hair around my hair and fussing over it the way it sat. At the end, I asked for it to be straightened. She blow dried it straight and didn't bother using straighteners even though it was obvious I needed a run through with them as my hair is naturally really curly. Within a few mins, my hair started to frizz (as it does when it isn't straightened properly) so she asked if I wanted serum. I said yeah okay and she put it on the end of my hair... even though it was the top that was frizzing. I just thought I'd fix it myself when I got home.
    I paid for it (more than I usually would pay but I thought that such a high rated hairdressers would be worth it) and went home. My hair was a frizzy mess by the time I got home and, as I brushed through it to straighten it, I realized they had even missed parts of my fringe that she just pushed back rather than cut so I had to cut them myself. I also had nearly all of my split ends still there and no layers. Wasn't impressed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

I googled, but still wasnt sure-what is a baby fringe? Maybe you could post a link?

I normally cut my hair myself as I am traumatised from hairdressers. Luckily it is straight enough, and the layers I got cut in last time (see below) I just trim them a bit.

The last time I went to a hairdresser was about a year ago, and like you OP, I have thickish hair-lots of hair! Anyways, I went to the place where my sister gets her hair done. Her hair always looks fab.

I just wanted a trim, bare trim, and a few layers put through hair and around my face.

OMG - I left the place almost crying-actually went to a friend of mines and shed a tear.

He cut it up very short (up to my shoulders-normally have about 3/4 inches past the shoulders), layered it ok, but around my face cut them too short and too "thick" (no feathering) - I called them my "dog ears" for ages. They just hung there. Looked terrible for my face shape. I tied up my hair for a few weeks till it grew down a little. And pinned back the layers around my face. Months later, as my hair grew out, it actually looked fabulous-the hair cut I actually wanted.

I just have no faith in hairdressers anymore, so as said, I bought myself a good pair of scissors, and learned to cut it myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

I hope you didn't pay for it. And if you did, go back and ask for the manager, lay out all your complaints and demand a refund. I wouldn't let them cut it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭glitterbug86

Wow, only just seen all these replies. I guess we all really have been there! By the end of that day I was so disgusted with the cut that I rang another hairdresser first thing in the morning (zenith), told them what had happened, and got an appointment for later that day. I knew she wouldn't be able to do much with the fringe, nor make the front magically grow back, but she still managed to improve it loads and I was much happier with it.

She did tonnes of fairly high/short layers in the back which made it much sleeker and more modern and the front actually looked longer against it. She got rid of the roundish shape as much as possible but it is still a little round in the front because of the previous cut. A good straighten (which I do anyways) helps a lot. The cut in general is much softer. She couldn't do a lot with my fringe but she showed me how it was crooked (a big chunk in the middle was shorter than the rest), discussed what we could do with it and in the end she cut the rest up a bit but shaped it so it sat better and looked longer. I was in there for nearly an hour and there was tonnes of hair on the floor so it was basically like a whole new cut! She understood me, gave me options ans was just a million times better. I just wish I'd went to her to begin with!

I wouldn't have the guts to not pay the first hairdresser and definitely wouldn't go back for a free cut - I wouldn't go back there even if they paid me! I was really clear with what I wanted and did tell her during the cut that "that's not what I asked for... I want bla bla bla, can you bla bla bla" and even though I was getting her to try to fix things, the woman hadn't a clue.. I don't think she was capable of doing anything or of fixing it despite my complaints. At one point when she had the mirror behind me I said "oh that's not as bad as I thought" about something (no idea what I even said that about) and she looked outraged and was very very rough with the hairdryer/brush straight after. All I could think was "you stupid b***h, have you not heard me this whole time!!!"

I know hair will always grow back but I only had a couple of days until my sisters wedding which is what I'd gotten it cut for. I've learned a bad haircut can be really upsetting regardless though! Sounds like ye have had some nightmare cuts.. bad fringes being one of the worst offenders. It sounds like some hairdressers are still doing styles from previous decades! I'm just glad the second hairdresser knew what she was doing! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

I'm glad you got your hair sorted OP. :) It's mad how a terrible cut can lead to a great one!

I had the same thing about 18 months ago. I was given a shoulder length bob when I asked for "a change, but anything except a shoulder length bob!"
    I looked terrible. I've a roundy looking face so the cut just made me look like a beach ball with fuzz on top.

I went back the next day and got my money back and took it to Lunatic Fringe on Grafton St in Dublin where the hairdresser told me the only want to fix the cut was to cut it off. :eek:

So I got my hair cut short and as it turns out, it looked great! So the first hairdresser nearly did me a favour! I might never have had the courage to go for the chop if I hadn't been pushed in to it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 splendar

I had a similar experience where the hairdresser did the exact opposite of what I asked. I had long wavy thick hair below my shoulders/mid back and loads of hair, which was starting to grow just to the one length and i asked for a few long balanced layers at the end to emphasise the wave and stated I wanted the layers balanced. I told her I had not had my hair cut in a long time over a year as I was nervous of hairdressers I had a received a cut where they cut it short at the front and left it long at the back in the past, and that it was the worst cut i had ever received, I was very nervous of anyone ever doing that again, she laughed and said dont worry I wont do that to you. She cut my hair for what seems like a couple of seconds. Just snip snip and it was over. I had never experienced such a quick haircut before. When I looked I said that is not sitting properly and she said thats because you have a kink at the top of your head - I never heard that one before! The haircut she gave me was a thick short! layer to just below my jawline that hung like a pair of curtains straight across - the section wasnt just a small strand of hair cut short, but almost the whole front of my hair the next layer was completely off balance just under my shoulders (she basically did exactly what i told her I was afraid of short at the front and long at the back) I complained and went back to the salon (ciaran nevins) Another stylist said he would fix it his remedy was to leave the curtain like mess at the front and cut all the hair at the back away leaving one long strand at the back, there seems like there is no hair at the back anymore my neck it frozen and if i wear a cloth/elastic hairband the back of the hairband can be seen -there isnt enough hair at the back to cover it!. My hair is a completed hacked mess I have never seen anything like it in my life and i paid them 60euros to do this to me. Everyone has said it to me too what happened to your hair even my mother who would always say ah no its lovely! said they have absolutely wrecked your hair. It really is a mess and I dont know how long its gonna take for it to grow and look normal again I cant even get extentions as there isnt enough hair at the back to cover them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Zombie thread

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement