Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Punishment for attempting to pervert the course of justice?

• 11-07-2012 2:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Im just wondering what type of penalty there is for attempting to pervert the course of justice?

A brief outline of the case is: I went to the guards after a man made a sexual advance on me during a so-called job interview. The DPP prosecuted but due to a lack of physical evidence the case was dismissed, the judge clearly explained that this wasn't the same as not guilty, but that because of the nature of the charge he had no choice without evidence to dismiss it as it was my word against his.

I wasn't allowed to mention that before this went to court the man had sent a 3rd party to contact me and offer me 8000 euro to drop the charges, i communicated with guards and went along with this and got her arrested.

She has now been formally charged with attempting to pervert the course of justice along with the man.

Im just wondering what is typical punishment for this kind of thing??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Potentially prison time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

I wasn't allowed to mention that before this went to court the man had sent a 3rd party to contact me and offer me 8000 euro to drop the charges, i communicated with guards and went along with this and got her arrested.

Can someone explain the legal rule which forbids disclosing this to the court?

Strawberry kiss, you did the right thing. Fair play to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Strawberry_Kiss

Thanks, Yes i would love to have that explained in terms i can understand!! i never really grasped it but just did what i was told. I didn't ever or don't want money from this man. I felt lucky to get away just scared but with nothing physically happen to me, I just worried if i sat back and did nothing that someone else may not be as lucky.

I just wondered had anyone heard of this kind of perverting the course of justice charge and what a possible outcome might be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

Expose the bastard for what he is if you really want to do what's best for society. Pending all legal routes being exhausted, obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Dan133269 wrote: »
    Can someone explain the legal rule which forbids disclosing this to the court?

Strawberry kiss, you did the right thing. Fair play to you.

It is not evidence in relation to the charge against him.

• Advertisement

Yes i suppose that is what confused me as i felt that it was the one thing that proved my case as it was only my word against his.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

There's a difference between something that makes a person look guilty and evidence of their guilt.

Let look at it from a different point of view. Let say, for the sake of argument, you are a liar. That this guy made no such advance and because you didn't get the job you try and tarnish his good name. Under the pressure as he knows he cant prove it he tries to make it go away by offering you 8K. He shouldn;t have done it and it's hopefully dealt with - but separately.

This is why a judgment needs to be made on what a jury hears. Courts are generally quite good at it!

Yes i understand what your saying :)

Just another quick question, I have been advised by a number of people that i should take him to a civil court. Is there anyway i can do this without taking any money from him, I don't have a lot of money myself so cant afford expense but i just want to prove to all the people he has slated me to by saying that it was thrown out of court because i am lying - which was never said. There is a link to the only newspaper article which is very accurate im not sure if i can post here though.

I really just want to teach him a lesson and make people aware of what was done to me, i dont want a penny from him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

If he's found guilty in a criminal trial you should find it very easy to find a solicitor who will take it on a no foal no fee (no win no fee) basis.

The only apology you are going to get though is an award of damages. I suggest that if you don't want any money from him you donate it to a worthy cause.

The legal case against him was dismissed due to a lack of physical evidence, but the case regarding the offer of the money is still waiting to go to court.

That's a good idea. I could donate to the Rape crisis centre and help people who weren't as lucky as me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There is a link to the only newspaper article which is very accurate im not sure if i can post here though.
    Don't, given the other charge is still before the the courts.

Advertisement