Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC Alarm

Options
  • 11-07-2012 2:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi
    I have a HKC alarm and I want to get txt alerts from it if/when it goes off.
    What equipement do I need...Is it possible to install it myself ?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Yes easy enough to do. Your chouce of text unit will depend on what hkc panel you have installed

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Tmurf wrote: »
    Hi
    I have a HKC alarm and I want to get txt alerts from it if/when it goes off.
    What equipement do I need...Is it possible to install it myself ?
    Cheers

Are you going to connect to a landline or are you looking at GSM.
    You can install yourself if you have engineer access.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Tmurf

Its an 8/12 zone one.
    I don't have a landline so using a GSM one.
    Don't think I have engineers access..but might be able to get it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

Its an 8/12 zone one.
    I don't have a landline so using a GSM one.
    Don't think I have engineers access..but might be able to get it

What GSM are you using. You would need engineer access to add the HKC GSM to this panel. Most other GSMs can be connected to the outputs for different alarm events without the engineer code.

I don't have a GSM unit for it yet....thats the info I am looking for,
    ie I don't have a landline so I need a GSM. What one should I get if I don't have Eng Code and how to install myself.
    Also price for one.
    Thanks

• Advertisement

I don't have a GSM unit for it yet....thats the info I am looking for,
    ie I don't have a landline so I need a GSM. What one should I get if I don't have Eng Code and how to install myself.
    Also price for one.
    Thanks

If you had the code then the GSM-P would be the one to get.
    No code this will do voice or text.

Cheers - Is there much to fitting one

Cheers - Is there much to fitting one

Either is easy enough to fit and set up. Out of the 2 if you can get the engineer code I would select the GSM-P. it will also give you remote access to the alarm for setting/disarming as well as the monitoring of the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭iopener

i all,well i got myself a gsm p for my sw1070 panel,put it on the right (i hope) ran a 6 core cable the,fella in the wholesalers said it would be fine cos i fitted the gsm right next to the panel, 2 for power 4 for coms,connected the 2 interface cards one on the gsm unit into terminal J3 and on the main panel into a terminal marked J3/SP2 with a little sticker on the PCB.i have connected up the wiring and have LED'S flashing on both cards.but according to the instructions i go to the dialler menu in enginners and do my programing problem is i just cant seem to find the dialer menu.anyone out there knows anything about this could you give a hand please;

iopener wrote: »
    i all,well i got myself a gsm p for my sw1070 panel,put it on the right (i hope) ran a 6 core cable the,fella in the wholesalers said it would be fine cos i fitted the gsm right next to the panel, 2 for power 4 for coms,connected the 2 interface cards one on the gsm unit into terminal J3 and on the main panel into a terminal marked J3/SP2 with a little sticker on the PCB.i have connected up the wiring and have LED'S flashing on both cards.but according to the instructions i go to the dialler menu in enginners and do my programing problem is i just cant seem to find the dialer menu.anyone out there knows anything about this could you give a hand please;

Go into the serial port equipment menu ;)

• Advertisement

jesus what a plonker i should have kopped that SP was for serial port,thanks altor,my next problem is when i did the programming following the instructions as best as i could,put in 4 numbers to text and went to a test text on 2 indivdual numbers and i got no text,just got attempt after attempt i aborted first 2 texts.waited 10mins and tried to a test text to all numbers,just keep getting GSM busy message waited another 10 mins and just kept getting attempt after attempt .any idea's whats gone wrong.i'm thinking of ringing hkc tech surport to try get them to help me out,as im installing this in my own house and i took the advice of taking out their sim card and replaced it with my own prepaid sim card do you think they help me out.im up a certain creek without a paddle.

iopener wrote: »
    jesus what a plonker i should have kopped that SP was for serial port,thanks altor,my next problem is when i did the programming following the instructions as best as i could,put in 4 numbers to text and went to a test text on 2 indivdual numbers and i got no text,just got attempt after attempt i aborted first 2 texts.waited 10mins and tried to a test text to all numbers,just keep getting GSM busy message waited another 10 mins and just kept getting attempt after attempt .any idea's whats gone wrong.i'm thinking of ringing hkc tech surport to try get them to help me out,as im installing this in my own house and i took the advice of taking out their sim card and replaced it with my own prepaid sim card do you think they help me out.im up a certain creek without a paddle.

Ha, if you have never set one up before it can look daunting but I assure you they are easily set up.

Down power the unit before doing any other work with it, busy can mean there is events in the log that have not being sent.

Few things for you to try, did you check the credit on the sim, also have you taken the sim lock off the sim card, are you getting a signal for the network your using?

i'l power it down mains and battery,i need to do this anyway.i got a sim in carfone warehouse and the fella was meant to register me with 02 but didnt so im going to take the sim out and register myself he unlocked the sim so should be ok there.i put €20 credit on it,i checked the network signal via the keypad,it's showing 3 bars.probably me making a mess of the programming,i'l try again later.thanks again altor

found out the fella in carphone warehouse never activated the credit thats why the test text didn't work.i had take the sim card out to do this on my phone,i powered the mains and battery first and put the credit on the sim and put it back on the gsm,reconnected the power,i got text saying GSM comms flt to my mobile as i had programmed my mobile to be a engineer user and to text system faults.i want to go back into the gsm menu to programme a new number and sync the time and date,but cant go into the serial menu.now i dont have the in/out LED'S on the interface cards falshing.i've only got the 2 out LED'S .now I'm definitely up the creek.where have i gone wrong.even the registration with 02 has gone arse ways.i'd pay for someone to sort this out at this stage.in two minds regarding to ring HKC for help.

I knew it had to be something simple.
    Down power the alarm and the GSM. Make sure the cable that is used between the GSM and the two cards is connected correctly with no loose connections. I would replace the cable used just in case that is what is causing the issue.
    Power both back up and that should sort it for you.

Altor your a star,i changed the cable and I got it sorted out thank's again for help.I would have never got it fixed without you

Advertisement