Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Church Road Resurfacing

Options
  • 11-07-2012 8:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

Congratulations to the engineer and officials that decided to have contractors work during the night. Work on almost half of Church Road was carried out last night. This is in preparation for the resurfacing of the entire road. More county councils should follow this practice as the disruption to traffic is kept to a miminum.
    Lets hope that the ramps that have been removed will not be reconstructed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Tiradon

The efficiency with which the entire operation was set up and then finished off was also very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Charleslando

I really hope that ramp nearest the town gets sorted out, its in bits and could easily cause damage to cars just attempting to get over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

I really hope that ramp nearest the town gets sorted out, its in bits and could easily cause damage to cars just attempting to get over it.

That road was one of the worst roads I've ever driven on, the surface of the moon I'm sure is smoother.
    I actually avoided that road at all costs, delighted its getting re-done as it was letting the rest of the town down.

It made my day when I seen all the marks of spray paint on the road and it wasn't the local yobos..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

That road was one of the worst roads I've ever driven on, the surface of the moon I'm sure is smoother.
    QUOTE]
    This is a photo I took of the moon in Feb 2012, not soo smooth at all:D:D:D
    6941904879_4cc14a40c9_z.jpg
    Moon 29/02/2012 by pixbyjohn, on Flickr
    I hear the new ramps will be dreadfully high

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

my understanding (from his newsletter) is that Simon Harris is resurfacing this road single-handedly - good on ya Simon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭happyhappy

loyatemu wrote: »
    my understanding (from his newsletter) is that Simon Harris is resurfacing this road single-handedly - good on ya Simon!

Brilliant! You couldn't have described him better!! And to think he told us all before the election that he was not going to be like the 'typical' politician. he is worse than most of them now!

On topic - they are progressing rapidly tonight, very impressive roadworks!!

happyhappy wrote: »
    Brilliant!
    Who is doing the work ? Is it Dan Morrissey ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

loyatemu wrote: »

Brilliant! You couldn't have described him better!! And to think he told us all before the election that he was not going to be like the 'typical' politician. he is worse than most of them now!

taoiseach material our simon..

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭happyhappy

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Brilliant!
    Who is doing the work ? Is it Dan Morrissey ?

Not sure pixby, it possibly is. I got waved through the contraflow too quickly to see.

Simon is operating that too, as well as plaining the road and laying the new surface!!

Maudi wrote: »
    taoiseach material our simon..

once Simon's finished the work, Enda will be along on his bike to inaugurate it. FG - getting Ireland moving again :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

And then Simons going to sport out the moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Ok - could we keep this on topic please.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Gonna try it out on the way home from work later...
    Hopefully they put down raised crossing points for walkers instead of huge speed ramps.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 jungledrums

Gonna try it out on the way home from work later...
    Hopefully they put down raised crossing points for walkers instead of huge speed ramps.
    And hopefully drivers will realise that they are not pedestrian crossings and stop randomly on the main street

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Bout time, usually they don't do this work at night OP because the cost of implementation doubles.

its cheaper to do during the day :)

credit where credit's due - they've done a good job on this with minimal disruption. Was cycling along it this evening, great not to have to weave all over the road to avoid the potholes. Well done Simon Wicklow Co. Co.

They're only patched it up, its still bad in any car with decent suspension

I thought they were doing a full resurface.

The next time it snows all the potholes will be back

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Matt Le Tissue

looks like A full resurface to me, is it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

They're only patched it up, its still bad in any car with decent suspension

I thought they were doing a full resurface.

The next time it snows all the potholes will be back
    patched what up?its a very well done complete resurface..it does tend to 'lift'when its laid in the rain..that wasnt..it wont lift..well done simon and the lads..and yea it a real treat on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

I think the patching up was prep. pre final surface.

• Advertisement

FirstIn wrote: »
    I think the patching up was prep. pre final surface.

i haven't been up the top of the main st since earlier this week but was down the bottom between the park and ride and the station and it just looked patched.

earlier during the week the top of the road was patchy and one of the ramps had beem skimmed out but thats the last i saw it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

It's a complete resurface from the station right the way down to Centra by the looks of things.

Nice job too.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭treecreeper

its fantastic, will let you know how the mobility scooter travels it, but in my vanm smooth as a baby's bottom!

I've always said to the wife that if i won the lotto id have that stretch of road sorted..
    Driving on it on the way to the "offy" for a few birthday beverages....

Real nice job...Even better than id imagined.. Complements the town nicely

Nice present..:D

was up there on sun morning, much better, they did a gr8 job.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

We've had this stretch of road resurfaced. We've had the lights mended on the C'land road.
    The railings at the roundabouts on the same road are currently being repaired. (Ok, it's 19 months since most of them were wanged, but better late than never)
    It's all to be welcomed.

PS, I'm guessing the railings repair is probably something needed as part of the council taking charge of the road.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Wait until its ripped up to lay pipes :D

There is always 1 :D:D:rolleyes:

dunno about pipes, but at some point UPC will get around to upgrading the cable in Greystones which will probably involve a lot of road openings. Also Eircom are rolling out fibre to the curb, though I'm not sure if that involves as much disruption.

Church Rd was last fully resurfaced in the 90s - they were digging it up again within a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭vinpaul

Do these new markings indicate the positions of man-holes, stopcocks etc and other services that have been covered over by the resurfacing. Seems to me that cuttings will be made to restore all of the covers that need to be accessable.

Advertisement