Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Up and Over Ultra Triathlon Aug 2013

Options
  • 11-07-2012 9:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭

Howdy all,

In Aug 2013 i'll be spending 11 days doing an Ultra Triathlon up and over Ireland.

There will be 4 of us doing the full event and we hope to get others involved on a daily basis to help out and take part.

We will be raising funds for 2 charities. The first is the Irish Cancer Society, lets face it who hasn't been touched by cancer. The 2nd we are just sorting out at the moment and hope to announce by the weekend.

The bones of the event so far are as follows.

Day 1 - 18.7k swim from Athy to Carlow in the river Barrow.

Day 2,3,4,5,6 - 768k cycle from Mizen to Malin Head ( with public cycle on Galway )

Day 7,8,9,10,11 - 245 run from Galway to Dublin ( with one public marathon on day 10 in Offaly,Laois,Kildare )

As i said we are very much in the planning stages but want to get the event out there and if you want to do a day with us it gives you lots of time and scope to get that training done.

We have a facebook page that i would ask you to like as the more likes we have the better it looks going to sponsors as we can show them that we have an audience.

www.facebook.com/upandoverultratriathlon

Thanks to the mods for letting me put up this thread and other members who are sorting out my logo and website for free as well !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Looks like a great idea - are the 4 of you doing it as relay or each will do the full distances?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Izoard wrote: »
    Looks like a great idea - are the 4 of you doing it as relay or each will do the full distances?

Each doing the full distance, its not a race so there will be no amazing times posted. Its just about finishing each day and making it to Dublin on Aug 30th !

1st Sponsor has been confirmed, i'll spill the beans later on this evening !

We have a meeting with Gerry Duffy to go this evening so just getting ready for that, suppose i'll have to get one of the copies of my book signed:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

If you break down the run into 5 seperate Marathon(+) distance runs I am sure that a lot of the 100 marathon club Ireland would get involved. They are always looking for Marathons to do around the country.

menoscemo wrote: »
    If you break down the run into 5 seperate Marathon(+) distance runs I am sure that a lot of the 100 marathon club Ireland would get involved. They are always looking for Marathons to do around the country.

Yeah thats roughly whats it going to be each day, i have a rough idea of stops etc but need to do a sit down and work it out fully.

The cycle stops are pretty much done but we just need to confirm them !

• Advertisement

oh and we are on twitter @upandovertri

Our 1st sponsor has just been announced over on our facebook page, pop over to it ( like it ) and see who it is:)

www.facebook.com/upandoverultratriathlon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

I'm unveiling myself as the third person involved in doing the full distance. :D

Met up with Elvis Jones today to look over the plans and it's looking like a great challenge.

The swim and the cycle aren't that daunting for me, although 8 hours swimming will be tough and the cycle now has extra distance added!

The run though is the scary part for me. 5 marathon distances in 5 days. I've never even ran one yet (although hopefully that'll change in October).

Really looking forward to the training too for some reason :eek:

The administration of the event is going to be the hard part. Attracting sponsors and the organisation of the cycle and running events we are hoping to run parrallel with this. Elvis has got a lot of plans done but there's still a lot to do and I think that is going to be as tough as physically doing the event. Wish us luck!

Just to add that we've had a few meeting, banged a few heads together and changed things a little.

We'll just have 2 days that we'll have others with us

1 cycle and 1 run.

The cycle will have 50 or 60k option and 100 or 120k option ( distances have to be nailed down )

The run will be full and half marathon ( with a walking option for the half )

This way we can lower the level of logistics needed and still raise the same amount of money by having a lot of people on one day.

As soon as the website goes live you'll be able to sign up and we really hope some of you do as its going to be an amazing 11 days.

Just spoke to our 2nd charity and all going well we'll be able to let the cat out of the bag in the next 24 hrs !

• Advertisement

We need your feedback. We will be having two days where the public and come and get involved with us.

1st will be a cycle as mentioned and 2nd will be full/half marathon ( with 1/2 walking option )

Would you rather ?

1. Pay a small admin fee and raise an amount for us via sponsorship

2. Pay a set fee to do the day with us

Remember apart from the basic fees involved in the day ALL money will go to the charities !

Also instead of prizes for 1st,2nd,3rd we intend to have a draw and give away prizes we get from sponsors so that all that enter have an equal chance to walk away with something.

Anyone:o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

We need your feedback. We will be having two days where the public and come and get involved with us.

1st will be a cycle as mentioned and 2nd will be full/half marathon ( with 1/2 walking option )

Would you rather ?

Remember apart from the basic fees involved in the day ALL money will go to the charities !

Also instead of prizes for 1st,2nd,3rd we intend to have a draw and give away prizes we get from sponsors so that all that enter have an equal chance to walk away with something.

I generally prefer to just pay a set fee.

I've never been in contention for a prize so a draw sounds good to me.

You're demented by the way.

hardCopy wrote: »
    I generally prefer to just pay a set fee.

I've never been in contention for a prize so a draw sounds good to me.

You're demented by the way.

Thanks thats been the feedback i've got so far !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Both should be available and clearly marked - there are loads of cycling sportives around the country for charity where people are put off going as they think they have to raise money for it. I have no problem paying a set fee on the morning of the race if they will accept it but very rarely would I go looking for sponsorship

catweazle wrote: »
    Both should be available and clearly marked - there are loads of cycling sportives around the country for charity where people are put off going as they think they have to raise money for it. I have no problem paying a set fee on the morning of the race if they will accept it but very rarely would I go looking for sponsorship

Both would be avilable in a way.

you pay a set fee and if you wish we can send you a fund raising kit as well, some will also what to raise funds for the charity as well.

I think the set fee is looking like the way to go. Now to come up with the fees:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

A set fee, personally I hate going around looking for sponsorship, you end up hitting the same people all the time,

We have a cycle sponsor in place now as well, i can't give out any info yet as it has to be confirmed what name is going on the gear ( a few brands are involved in this company ) but its sorted and we won't be going around naked:D

Oh and we might be selling the jerseys on the website !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Definitely sell the jerseys (and any other paraphernalia) on the website! And make sure they can be mailed across the pond! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Might be best to take pre-orders on the memorabilia. Would be a shame to be stuck with stock afterwards when you're trying to raise as much as possible.

• Advertisement

hardCopy wrote: »
    Might be best to take pre-orders on the memorabilia. Would be a shame to be stuck with stock afterwards when you're trying to raise as much as possible.

Yeah i think so espc with the cycle jerseys !

Doing up all the pricing at the moment but they seem to be coming in at aobut 50 with a donation there for the two charities !

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭slayer91

I see with some charity cycles the offer a discount on the set fee for groups.
    For instance, there one the weekend, set fee of 50e(which is a bit high, I think) but if you have a group of 10 or more, you get it for 40e.

slayer91 wrote: »
    I see with some charity cycles the offer a discount on the set fee for groups.
    For instance, there one the weekend, set fee of 50e(which is a bit high, I think) but if you have a group of 10 or more, you get it for 40e.

Ok,

This is a hard one, i'm not a capitalist ( in this instance ) every cent is going to the charities involved so have to look into discounts. If someone from a club came with a group of 10 no doubt we's look at it but i'd have to ok it with the others.

No money raised will go to the costs, we are using service sponsorship to cover all costs so that every cent to pay to do the event goes to the charity.

Its not like some races where you pay 50 and 10 goes to charity X. If you pay 50 then 50 will go to the charity.

Oh and it will be at least 50:D

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

It all sounds good to me. No problem with 50 here. Presume thats to join one stage somewhere along the line?

Here is the plan at the moment.

Public cyle in Galway ( Connemara )

60k -45 euro
    100k - 60 euro

We'll have sponsored goodie bags on the day and we'll have 10 random sponsored spot prizes to give away as well.

Public marathon/half/half walk in the midlands ( Offaly-Laois-Kildare )

half - 50
    full - 75

We'll have sponsored goodie bags on the day and we'll have 10 random sponsored spot prizes to give away as well.

We'll have it measured right and they'll be timing chips as well for those doing their 1st event its a plus to see your time in writing.

As its running through 3 counties they'll be logistics with gettin people to the start/finish/half but we'll supply buses to do all that.

Its still in the planning stage but as i said ALL of your entry fee will go to the charity.

Just posted our new logo on the facebook page, if you haven't liked the page please do so.

We should also be able to release full details of the swim leg of our event this evening. Just waiting on some final details !

Sorry for the delay re swimming but i needed to nail it all down.

So our swim will now be a 6 hr session in Portlaoise Leisure Centre's 25m pool. We changed it for the following reasons.

1. Time management to get to Cork that evening
    2. Public gallery so people can come into us
    3. Water quality, we've been advised that up to 9 hrs in the Barrow might not be the best thing for us if we have 10 more days to go.

We'll be looking for businesses to sponsor us per length and this way the swim will generate some income for the charities.

I also hope to have a public lane where people can swim with us for 30 min or an hr and will pay a fee to do so.

We are going to launch the website and full details of the cycle, run and public days on Aug 22........the one year countdown !

Supplier for our cycle gear has been confirmed and we are currently in the design phase of that !

Another sponsor signed up !

All details are on the FB page, website should be live within a week !

So our second chosen charity has been confirmed.

We will also be raising funds for Irish Autism Action !

So happy that now we have them along with Irish Cancer Society as our two charities !

• Advertisement

If you're on facebook please like the page !!!

http://www.facebook.com/UpAndOverUltraTriathlon

Advertisement