Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updated look for the site (part2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Please restore the bottom breadcrumbs, its incredibly annoying not having them, I think this is about the only forum I know that forces you to scroll back up to the top, considering phones/tablets are only going to increase in usage from now on you're really punishing people with tons of extra scrolling for no apparent reason...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

Thargor wrote: »
    Please restore the bottom breadcrumbs, its incredibly annoying not having them, I think this is about the only forum I know that forces you to scroll back up to the top, considering phones/tablets are only going to increase in usage from now on you're really punishing people with tons of extra scrolling for no apparent reason...

Bottom crumbs aren't coming back, they are redundant. A link to the top of the page will be put in instead.

Danny

Hardly redundant when theres 3-4 pages and a load of threads of people bothering to come to the feedback forum asking for them back but thanks for the reply I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Lack of the bottom breadcrumbs is hugely annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Bottom crumbs aren't coming back, they are redundant. A link to the top of the page will be put in instead.

Danny

A link to the top of the page is a bit useless if you ask me. It should be a link back to the forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Clanket wrote: »
    A link to the top of the page is a bit useless if you ask me. It should be a link back to the forum.

Except that the breadcrumb is one thing, but linking back to the top of the page is much more helpful for people without the sticky header - notifications, the boards menu, the search box AND breadcrumbs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Except that the breadcrumb is one thing, but linking back to the top of the page is much more helpful for people without the sticky header - notifications, the boards menu, the search box AND breadcrumbs.

I think what he was referring to and it'll be the same with others, is more clicks than necessary are required now, to do what was easily avail before.

Most people aren't looking to browse through the forum menu, or do a search query. They just want to browse back to the forum's page they were looking through.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭mush500

Since I changed to the new look I can only get the first two options for the header menu- boards.ie and adverts.ie- if I refresh the page the header appears but then disappears again. Using Mac os and safari. Is there a way to change this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Boards.ie: Tony

mush500 wrote: »
    Since I changed to the new look I can only get the first two options for the header menu- boards.ie and adverts.ie- if I refresh the page the header appears but then disappears again. Using Mac os and safari. Is there a way to change this?

Try logging out and back in again.
    If that doesn't work, let us know what version of OSx and Safari are you using along with Screen resolution.

Thanks,
    Tony.

Try logging out and back in again.
    If that doesn't work, let us know what version of OSx and Safari are you using along with Screen resolution.

Thanks,
    Tony.

Visit http://www.boards.ie/diagnostics and copy/paste the results for Your System/Browser/Resolution if logging out and back in doesn't work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭mush500

Hi Dany/Tony

The logging out didn't work

Heres the info you asked for, thanks for the help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Boards.ie: Tony

mush500 wrote: »
    Hi Dany/Tony

The logging out didn't work

Heres the info you asked for, thanks for the help!

Hmmm...

Your version of Safari and Flash seem a bit behind. (flash is on 11.4 and safari is on 6.0.1).
    Any chance you could check it in a different browser (Firefox or Chrome) and see if its the browser or flash that might be causing it.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,507 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I'm sure it's been mentioned already but I switched back to the new one today to give it another go and one really annoying thing is the lack of menu at the bottom of a page

say in this thread if I reach the bottom I can click

boards.ie -> sys -> feedback

to go back to any of the root menus, in the beta I can't and have to scroll back up :(

I'm sure it's been mentioned already but I switched back to the new one today to give it another go and one really annoying thing is the lack of menu at the bottom of a page

say in this thread if I reach the bottom I can click

boards.ie -> sys -> feedback

to go back to any of the root menus, in the beta I can't and have to scroll back up :(

Or enable the sticky header. Or wait for a "Back to top" link to be put back in. You're right though, it's been mentioned :)

Danny

Or enable the sticky header.
    nah, made that mistake once already ;)

thanks though.

/waits

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Or enable the sticky header. Or wait for a "Back to top" link to be put back in. You're right though, it's been mentioned :)

Danny

Or press the "Home" key on the keyboard. ;)

Or press the "Home" key on the keyboard. ;)

what am I, not lazy?! pffft, more than one click / keystroke unnecessarily :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I miss the bottom breadcrumbs as well. No sticky header on my phone so a trip to the top of the thread is required. It is a small bit intensely irritating thing.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 28,957 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I know this was mentioned earlier in the thread, but not sure if it was mentioned much since. When browsing I usually press the space bar to move the page down as I read it. The problem with this, since the new look was introduced is that when it moves it down, the page jumps down slightly more than "one screen full" so that I often have to go then and press the arrow up on the scroll bar because I've missed a line. I know I'm not really describing this well and it seems like a minor thing, but it's really really annoying. Can anything be done about this?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Quazzie wrote: »
    I know this was mentioned earlier in the thread, but not sure if it was mentioned much since. When browsing I usually press the space bar to move the page down as I read it. The problem with this, since the new look was introduced is that when it moves it down, the page jumps down slightly more than "one screen full" so that I often have to go then and press the arrow up on the scroll bar because I've missed a line. I know I'm not really describing this well and it seems like a minor thing, but it's really really annoying. Can anything be done about this?
    I've asked, and no: nothing can be done. If you use the Page Down key instead of the spacebar, that works. I know it's not as handy.

• Advertisement

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I've asked, and no: nothing can be done. If you use the Page Down key instead of the spacebar, that works. I know it's not as handy.

Yep, we have a workaround for PageDn but it simply cannot be implemented for the spacebar. I should also note that this is an issue that isn't trivial to solve even for browser development teams, as evidenced by Mozilla's attempt to resolve it :)

Danny

Hi Danny, can I just ask, what exactly is the problem with including the bottom breadcrumbs? Its been that way since the first internet BBs and their absense on boards is especially noticeable, you get to the bottom of the page when reading a forum and you immediately look for them to get you out of there, nothing else is a viable substitute for them, not sticky headers, not goto top of page buttons, not pressing the Home key on the keyboard, all of these require more work and are annoying to use.

I know its a petty first world problem to stay going on about but it really is bizarre that you would remove a feature used by 99% (estimated) of the bulletin boards on the internet because its 'clutter' or 'you can do it another way', people dont want to do it any other way.

Thargor wrote: »
    Hi Danny, can I just ask, what exactly is the problem with including the bottom breadcrumbs? Its been that way since the first internet BBs and their absense on boards is especially noticeable, you get to the bottom of the page when reading a forum and you immediately look for them to get you out of there, nothing else is a viable substitute for them, not sticky headers, not goto top of page buttons, not pressing the Home key on the keyboard, all of these require more work and are annoying to use.

I know its a petty first world problem to stay going on about but it really is bizarre that you would remove a feature used by 99% (estimated) of the bulletin boards on the internet because its 'clutter' or 'you can do it another way', people dont want to do it any other way.

This isn't a question best addressed to me I'm afraid, but your feedback has indeed been noted as per your earlier posts.

Danny

I know Im going on about it :D

Ill shut up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

This isn't a question best addressed to me I'm afraid, but your feedback has indeed been noted as per your earlier posts.

Danny

Who should it be addressed to? Because I really want to know the answer too! All the feedback about the removal of the breadcrumbs is negative and all we're hearing back is that they're gone permanently, and that's that. You asked for feedback on new changes, and people are taking their time out to do that. But on this issue we're just told to like it or lump it, without a proper reasoning.

It's not bothering me at the moment, as I went straight back to the old skin when this change was made, as it made the new skin too user-unfriendly for me. But I presume the old skins aren't going to be around forever.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

It still doesn't work on the iphone.

The old full version of site works OK.
    Except when you have to log back in again and it defaults to the new version and the bar across the top makes it very difficult to even hit login to login to get back to the old version.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Regarding the drop downs on the upper right with my sn and My Forums on them. Are these boards issue or part of vbulletin? I kind of like the way it's updating when a thread I'm following gets new posts, but have you considered adding actual links to the threads rather than just updating the number?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭John mac

just replace the following from the bottom of page with the breadcrumbs.
    Save on space.. would look nicer also.

Sites:

adverts.ie boardsdeals.ie daft.ie rent.ie property.ie thejournal.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Out of interest, has any more thought been put into having a notification in the tab header similar to Facebook, Twitter, Gmail, etc?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Another one here who would like bottom breadcrumbs back. I prefer to read to the end of a thread, and then have the breadcrumb right there to click back into the main forum instead of having to go back to the top of my monitor.
    Agree. It's particularly annoying on ipad where the floating banner (or whatever it's called) doesn't work.

Advertisement