Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updated look for the site (part2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Des wrote: »
    So, I arrived to work this morning, opened Boards as normal, and my pages looked like the picture labelled "normal"

At about 0720 or so, they all changed to look like the one labelled "weird".

You seem to be logged out in the second one, does it stay the same if you log in?

[edit]
    NVM, the guys already said this! Dunno what happened there, maybe I was working off a page I'd loaded before!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

I noticed something odd when using Chrome, all private forums are visible under each category which is very weird. Still can't access them though

• Registered Users Posts: 28,957 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Has something been changed. I used to have sticky header activated and when I minimized my window to a smaller size than full screen it was still stickied but now it unstickies if I go below a certain size. This wasn't the case as recently as ten minutes ago. Why the change?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

Quazzie wrote: »
    Has something been changed. I used to have sticky header activated and when I minimized my window to a smaller size than full screen it was still stickied but now it unstickies if I go below a certain size. This wasn't the case as recently as ten minutes ago. Why the change?

Widths below 960px no longer get the sticky header.

If your browser viewport is below 960px wide then the page you're trying to view will have a horizontal scrollbar. Scrolling horizontally does not move the sticky header to the right, so you can't get to My Forums/Sys/Tech or even the login/signup buttons. Please see this bug report

Danny

Widths below 960px no longer get the sticky header.
    Why? This really makes a balls of 99% of my browsing of Boards.

• Advertisement

Quazzie wrote: »
    Why? This really makes a balls of 99% of my browsing of Boards.

The rationale behind it is right below the part you quoted.

Danny

The rationale behind it is right below the part you quoted.

Danny
    So rather than someone having to increase their window size momentarily to log in, I have to constantly scroll back to the top to access my usercp? Poorly thought out in my opinion. You haven't considered how this might affect others in your attempt to appease one or two people. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Here's one for you. I'm logged in, have selected the new beta skin, confirmed that that is still the selected setting and yet I'm getting the old look. Windows 8 - IE10.
    IP Address: 

Operating System: Windows 8 

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.2; Trident/6.0; .NET4.0E; .NET4.0C; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.30729) 

Your Browser
    Javascript Enabled: Yes 

Cookies Enabled: Yes 

Java Enabled: Yes 

Flash Version: 11.3 372 installed 

Your Resolution
    Screen: 1366 x 768 

Current Browser: 1345 x 618 

Colour: 32 bit 

Our Server
    Date/Time: Wednesday 24th of October 2012, 23:38:55 

Name: www2.boards.ie (lips) 

LocalStorage
    LS/SS Enabled: No 

Followed Forums: 

null 

User Details
    Username: Adam 

User ID: 30159 

Moderator: No 

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Bit of a z-order issue with YouTube clips and the static header:

225776.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Paddy

Adam wrote: »
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.2; Trident/6.0; .NET4.0E; .NET4.0C; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.30729) 

Your browser is saying it's IE7, you must have compatibility mode turned on... Is the little broken page icon in your address bar blue? If so click it and it will turn off compatibility mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Reganovski

Not sure whether this has been discussed already but can you spot the difference when using an iPad?

LOGGED IN
    image-1.jpg

NOT LOGGED IN
    image.jpg

So when I'm logged in the grey bar with the forum/thread doesn't scroll with you but when you are not logged in, it does scroll with you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

^ You can enable avatars in your Control Panel settings. It's under Edit Options.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Reganovski

^ You can enable avatars in your Control Panel settings. It's under Edit Options.

Sorry I've edited my post to explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Reganovski wrote: »
    Sorry I've edited my post to explain.
    That's expected, the sticky header is on by default, but you have it turned off in your personal settings. Hover over your name in the header and choose "Appearance Settings", you can turn the sticky header on and off there

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Oh you mean the sticky header. The guys already said they disabled it completely on the iPad because it wasn't working properly (which I can confirm). I guess it only applies to when you are logged in.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Did something strange happen to cookies? Some threads think it's about 5 days ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Paddy

Victor wrote: »
    Did something strange happen to cookies? Some threads think it's about 5 days ago.

example?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It is possible it may have been on my end, but nothing I did deliberately.

I went into various Cool Vids & Pics & Links threads by clicking 'go to first new post' and it brought me to 24 October, e.g. on this thread, I ended up at post 302: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056783214&page=21 whereas last night I had gone as far as post 452

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

It could be that your posts per page is set differently to the default and will have different effects depending on whether you are logged in or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not sure if this relates to New Look (I'm on the new dark) or not...

Loaded my CP about 30 mins ago; showed new threads correctly. However, clicking on any thread gave '503 Service Unavailable'.

Tried loading a random forum; loaded OK. Clicking on a thread gave another 503.

Logged out; same 503 on clicking on any thread.

Closed browser (FF 16.0.2) and reloaded; signed in again; same 503 on clicking on a thread.

During this session, while clicking on one of my subscribed threads again, I got a long timer (c. 30 secs) after which the thread loaded OK. Normal response time and no more 503 errors after this.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Esel wrote: »
    Not sure if this relates to New Look (I'm on the new dark) or not...

Loaded my CP about 30 mins ago; showed new threads correctly. However, clicking on any thread gave '503 Service Unavailable'.

Tried loading a random forum; loaded OK. Clicking on a thread gave another 503.

Logged out; same 503 on clicking on any thread.

Closed browser (FF 16.0.2) and reloaded; signed in again; same 503 on clicking on a thread.

During this session, while clicking on one of my subscribed threads again, I got a long timer (c. 30 secs) after which the thread loaded OK. Normal response time and no more 503 errors after this.

That seemed to be happening to everyone AFAIK. Site was down between midnight and 1:40am (approx)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭Esel

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    That seemed to be happening to everyone AFAIK. Site was down between midnight and 1:40am (approx)
    Ta. Didn't notice anything if Feedback about it, so posted here instead.

Also, my updated subscribed threads list is showing way less than the actual number of updated threads.

Not your ornery onager

We had some hamster issues beginning at approximately 12:15am and getting steadily worse until 1:55am. The cause is currently being looked in to.

Danny

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

We had some hamster issues beginning at approximately 12:15am and getting steadily worse until 1:55am. The cause is currently being looked in to.

Danny

All the hamsters were out trick-or-treating as guinea pigs. :P

• Subscribers Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭.BrianJM

Several months ago a banner popped up suggesting that my browser is no longer supported and that I should update to IE8 or some other.

I am running IE8 on WinXP-SP3 and have reinstalled etc. and the 'old browser' popup still pops up if I try New Beta.

Now, it seems I can't view or upload PDFs. I get an error saying "Format error: not a PDF or corrupted."

XP originally has a lower version of IE so I suspect that a registry setting which has remained untouched might need changing.

Any suggestions?

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/181083/226938.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Just a quick suggestion, not sure if it has been mentioned. Can you make it easier to access social groups? Maybe by having them show up in instant search when you start typing the name? Thanks :)

• Subscribers Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭.BrianJM

Auld-Yin wrote: »
    Several months ago a banner popped up suggesting that my browser is no longer supported and that I should update to IE8 or some other.

I am running IE8 on WinXP-SP3 and have reinstalled etc. and the 'old browser' popup still pops up if I try New Beta.

Now, it seems I can't view or upload PDFs. I get an error saying "Format error: not a PDF or corrupted."

XP originally has a lower version of IE so I suspect that a registry setting which has remained untouched might need changing.

Any suggestions?
    No suggestions - vonderful.

However, problem solved and guess what...

...it was a registry based problem.

• Advertisement

Welcome to the new design :)

Advertisement