Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chang mai or phnom penh??

Options
  • 11-07-2012 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

hi all, have a week to spare before my flight back to the real world. which would you choose from between the 2 of these cities?, i have already seen the islands and all that usual tourist stuff round thailand. just want a place where there will be a bit of atmosphere and craic, maybe a small bit of sightseeing to make it intresting, is chang mai a very quiet city compared to the usual goings on in the likes of phuket or phi phi?

will be greatful for any advice. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

shanem4422 wrote: »
    hi all, have a week to spare before my flight back to the real world. which would you choose from between the 2 of these cities?, i have already seen the islands and all that usual tourist stuff round thailand. just want a place where there will be a bit of atmosphere and craic, maybe a small bit of sightseeing to make it intresting, is chang mai a very quiet city compared to the usual goings on in the likes of phuket or phi phi?

will be greatful for any advice. thanks
    Haven't been to Chiang Mai. I would say it's nice, but touristy, and in the jungle. Phenom Penh is a busy little city, and along tourist trails, slightly annoying, and I found that sad. That said, it's a very different and interesting place to Bangkok with a lot of history (happy and sad).

I'd suggest something else, too: why not visit the ruins of the ancient city of Angkor? The nearest town, Siem Reap, has developed to accommodate tourists visiting the enormous ruins, so you don't visit the place for Siem Reap. But the Angkor Ruins, and Angkor Wat in particular, are astounding, and I'd recommend staying a whole day there, dawn to dusk. The views from the top of Phnom Bakom are beautiful at sunset.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Plenty to do in Chiang mai, great city loads of bars and restaurants

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Chiang Mai is a fantastic city. Great night life. Plenty to do around the place. Great for hiring a jeep as there are very simple roads and relatively little traffic. Great cookery schools there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭bazingaboom

Phnom Penh hands down. Have been to both and PP is far more interesting, its by far the best city in South East Asia iv been to.
    Lots of things to see and the nightlife is mental. Chiang mai is very quite on the nightlife front.

Also you can shoot guns in PP, lots of guns, even throw a grenade if thats what you fancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

I've also been to PP and would agree with the above poster. They are two completely different cities. It really depends on how you want to spend your last week. Going mental or chilling.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

never been to PP but was in most of Thailand, CM is good if you are into hiking and getting a moped and exploring the surrounding area.

Ankor wat is good too...

• Registered Users Posts: 38 shanem4422

thanks for all the replys, i am veering twoards phnom penh after reading this as i have limited intrest in hiking aroung hills, am also open to any other suggestions on cities!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Personally I'd go for Chiang Mai over Phnom Penh. Didn't get a good vibe from PP when I was there - felt very unsafe. The poverty is shocking also, worst I've seen in SE Asia.

Other cities in the area, Hanoi perhaps, although sorting out a visa might be a hassle for a weeks trip. Maybe Luang Prabang in Laos - probably similar in size and feel to Chiang Mai and Siem Reap

Advertisement