Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SERVICE HISTORY !!

• 11-07-2012 10:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Was considering trading my bike (1800 Goldwing) for something different recently, with a large main dealer. All was going well, average trade in value, they loved my bike and seemed keen to get a new machine out the door, costing me €10K (...jeez !!!) to change. I was delighted they were accepting a trade in.
    Then, just as we were finalising the deal, they asked for a "full documented service history". They were adamant the deal hinged on this. I would have trouble getting a full history as my bike is ten years old, anyway, is this some sharp practice by the dealer, as I have never heard of it before (for a bike).

Any thoughts?

QDM

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

If you are buying a brand new bike off them and they haggling over service history tell them you will WALK...simples. I bet you he has not got (or most dealers) a full service history for all the bikes they sell.

Tell him (or the mechanic) to take it for a spin and he will see, feel and hear the service history as the bike is PERFECT.....****in mongos! Plenty of other dealers out there and as you say he is not doing you a favour on the trade in deal either!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭Quebec Delta Mike

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    If you are buying a brand new bike off them and they haggling over service history tell them you will WALK...simples. I bet you he has not got (or most dealers) a full service history for all the bikes they sell.

Tell him (or the mechanic) to take it for a spin and he will see, feel and hear the service history as the bike is PERFECT.....****in mongos! Plenty of other dealers out there and as you say he is not doing you a favour on the trade in deal either!

Thanks for that,

Yes, their mechanic did take the bike for a spin, and gave it a thorough inspection. When he handed me the keys back, he said all that was outstanding was a service history. I couldn't believe my ears!

QDM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Very few 10 year old bikes would have a full service history.
    And most 10 year old bikes would have had two or more owners.

Telling you now man....WALK AWAY. Coz if the dealer is like that now can you imagine the attitude of them if something goes wrong with your new bike!!!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

How many miles on your goldwing? I'd follow wonda-boys advice and tell them you'll buy somewhere else.
    If the bike is fine, it's fine.

• Advertisement

HI,

Thanks for the comments.
    I own the bike since new in 2002, and it's got 47k miles on it.
    Used only during summer, for touring, sensible mods done, heated grips, heated seat, (+ many GW only extras) polished to death, no scratches, never ever dropped.
    Servicing done after Honda in first year by expert friend, who has service history logged in his garage.
    I explained all this to the dealer, even though he SAYS he is happy with the condition of the bike, a "Honda" service history is needed. I think it's OTT to expect that, so I will probably walk away.
    Anyway, the bike I want is a new model, and should be available second hand in the UK, ex-demo, for a lot less, if I can get the cash together in time.:o

Thanks for the input.

QDM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭war_child

i personally wouldnt dealwith them as was pointed out in earlier posts , very rare to find a 10 year oldbike with FULL service history, would they also want an account of any after market modification you might have done yourself would they also liketo know the names and birthdays of allyour kids aswell.

This sounds ridiculous and i would take my business elsewhere considering the amount of money you are willing to spend.

Its become like this in many different areas in Ireland but more so in the retail sector. And as one of the other lads pointed out if their niggling bout something like this what would they be like to deal with if something should go wrong with the Bike.

Hit the ground runnin Brother quick as your legs will carry ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

They're hoping you've got your eyes set on the new bike, the new smell, read all the reviews, and got you well hooked...
    And now at the 11th hour they're trying to devalue your trade-in in an attempt to extract more dosh from you. Extremely poor practice, and would have me walking - even if they reversed their position.

Absolute bullshit carry on imo

Full honda service history? Be almost like opening the service book, and a winning lottery ticket falling out, theres so few bikes with a 'full <manufacturer> history'

HI,

Thanks for the comments.
    I own the bike since new in 2002, and it's got 47k miles on it.
    Used only during summer, for touring, sensible mods done, heated grips, heated seat, (+ many GW only extras) polished to death, no scratches, never ever dropped.
    Servicing done after Honda in first year by expert friend, who has service history logged in his garage.
    I explained all this to the dealer, even though he SAYS he is happy with the condition of the bike, a "Honda" service history is needed. I think it's OTT to expect that, so I will probably walk away.
    Anyway, the bike I want is a new model, and should be available second hand in the UK, ex-demo, for a lot less, if I can get the cash together in time.:o

Thanks for the input.

QDM.

Do you mean a new Goldwing?

Or is it another new bike you after?

Hi,

No, it's not a new Goldwing, a completely different model. Does it matter?

QDM.

• Advertisement

Name and shame these fookin COWBOYS....I bet you have spur marks all over you bike after that service test!!!!

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Hi try sell your bike on donedeal or autotrader try that for 2 or 3 weeks. Ive never heard of dealers as bad as that take your business else where

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I explained all this to the dealer, even though he SAYS he is happy with the condition of the bike, a "Honda" service history is needed.

So you actually do have the service history but this cowboy is saying he needs a full Honda service history?? I have never heard such rubbish in my life. Walk away. You'll find plenty of other dealers who will take the hand off you if your bike is in as good condition as you say it is.

Is it a Honda dealership you're dealing with? If so, I can tell you that this is not indicative of all Honda dealerships as my own local Honda dealer is an absolute gem to deal with.

Hi,

No, it's not a new Goldwing, a completely different model. Does it matter?

QDM.

Yes, it does.

Hi Guys,

Just to finish the thread, I took miller50841's advice and placed an add on Done Deal, got some interest, and managed to SELL her in August. She's gone to an enthusiast in Armagh, where the Sterling rate clinched the deal.:)

Following my experience trying to buy a new...Triumph Explorer..:mad:...I didn't go back to the dealer, instead I found and bought a very tasty and low mileage BMW GSA1200. (For half the price of a kitted out Explorer..which was close to €18,500......:rolleyes:)

So I am on the road/trails again, discovering the fun of an "adventure" bike, and with money in the bank too, thanks Triumph!

Thanks for the interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

OP, glad to see you got sorted in the end.

Unfortunately, I have had the same experience myself recently. Bought a brand new bike, the dealer works under the same shop roof as the dealer you bought your bike from (I think), and cowboys is the only word to describe them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,411 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Which dealer, QDM?

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

op were you buying an 18500 squid bike and they tried to screw you over the service history...

that right there is what is wrong with a a lot of salespeople...

well done on walking away, i hope that salesperson is shown the door by the garage as thats a disgrace

good luck with the new bike, does the bmw come with heaters?

Advertisement