Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The most shocking thing you've witnessed at your workplace?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Did you see staff being beaten at your job? And was it in Ireland?

At my job, yes.
    (and yes, I did report it both to the authorities and my union at the time).
    I left soon after by my own effort. Enough was enough.
    The job was in England by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,193 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Biggins wrote: »
    Ex-national/international footballer doing something bad and highly illegal a number of times.
    (Sorry, I'm deliberately being vague for legal reasons and no, I'm not saying who it was).

Seen employers beating staff.

Seen other shocking stuff - but outside of employment so would not be applicable to theme of thread.
    Biggins....you've added nothing....!!

at least tell us what the unamed person was doing???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭lifelongnoob

give him a few minutes to make something up for feck sake ;):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

fullstop wrote: »
    What's the point in posting that if you're not even going to say what this alleged person allegedly did?
    Biggins like to maintain an air of mystery about him.
    Edit: Nothing to see here...
    Oh I know that, but the whole 'if I told you I'd have to kill you' act is getting a bit old at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Dire poverty.

People killed, shot & blown to bits.

Air raids & artillery barrages.

Mine fields & victims of mines.

Orphans.

And people who didn't give a tuppennies f*ck about any of it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

This is not 'shocking' but might as well mention it...

When I was 18 i worked in an Mcdonalds drive-thru.
    Lad working on the big mac station dropped the bun on the floor. Picked it right back up. Smiling and laughing then says "f*ck it sure" and proceeds to package it.

Some poor fecker bought it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Saw a lad in a forklift bring down a whole section of brick wall, he left the mast up while existing a site building & brought down 2 stories of blockwork.
    Only the doorway opening fell on him he would have been killed.
    A team worked through the night clearing the evidence to cut down on the paperwork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Ex-national/international footballer doing something bad and highly illegal a number of times.
    (Sorry, I'm deliberately being vague for legal reasons and no, I'm not saying who it was).

I, too, once saw a guy do a thing what was not legal. Also he was totally famous.
    Then the goddamn batman turned up and beat him to within an inch of his life.

True story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

I, too, once saw a guy do a thing what was not legal. Also he was totally famous.
    Then the goddamn batman turned up and beat him to within an inch of his life.

True story.

The same thing happened to me! Except he was more famous than the person you know, and it was much more not legal. But I cant tell you, its a secret. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Yearning4Stormy

I used to work with a guy who was somewhat unstable entertaining. Three stories come to mind:

1. Large multinational IT company with a lot of old equipment lying around on the floor. We were working late for a couple of weeks and the tension in the team was palpable. This guy loses it around midnight one night and puts his foot through a monitor. Written warning which led to...

2. The guy had a real problem with his manager at the time - he was a total tool in fairness, the boss - but when the boss resigned, the guy ran up down the cube farm aisles singing, "Ding dong, the witch is dead, the wicked witch is dead!"

3. In a meeting, the same guy was incessantly tapping one of those NoBo whiteboard markers against the table. Finally, one of our fairer colleagues asked him to stop and he casually says, "Suck my nobo". Written warning number two.

Needless to say, he no longer works with us :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Not one of mine, but my Grandad who used to work with CIE. One of the new busses was mistakenly transfered to the breakers, who stripped it down completley. Once the error was spotted the bus in question was always in a location other than wherever the stock control was taking place. Got the impression that it was in everyones interest to keep it from being discovered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

fullstop wrote: »
    What's the point in posting that if you're not even going to say what this alleged person allegedly did?

Because it didn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Foxymona

Underage disco- more sex, drugs and nudity than I've ever seen before...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Worked as a bouncer and seen it all really. Stabbings, bottlings, beatings, scraps, sex, drugs, people covered in blood, sh*t and p*ss etc.

Also worked in construction and while operating a rock crushing machine a Ghanaian fella I worked with tried levering a rock out of the jaws with a bar. Needless to say the jaws caught the bar, bent it in the blink of an eye and proceeded to sever the man's thumb of his free hand. The thumb thus then flipped into my tool-tray. I've also seen someone hang chains incorrectly on a large steel frame thus leading it to swing the wrong way round when raised on a crane which crushed his two legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Heard this from a former Dunnes manager:
    Someone was ****ting all over the toilet walls and floor every friday evening. They were watching one guy who they suspected.
    They got the security guy to check his bags and receipt a few times to show that they were watching him. This guy regularly bought womens underwear and acted a bit creepy and spent hours in the store.

Anyway, one day when he came in they held him until the police came. He was arrested and never returned so they thought the problem was solved.
    A few weeks later it started happening again!
    Then one day another member of staff walked in on the security guard taking a dump on the toilet floor!

• Advertisement

Well one of their actions - in a moment of just daftness and silliness, was to take some charity boxes from a property and put them (for some mental reason) on top of outside stationary vehicles and leave them there when they could/might have been further stolen!

Just stupid daftness and bravado while in a group of fellow lads, is all I can put it down to.
    Technically, had a police officer come along and seen what he was doing, he could have faced any number of charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

Well one of their actions - in a moment of just daftness and silliness, was to take some charity boxes from a property and put them (for some mental reason) on top of outside stationary vehicles and leave them there when they could/might have been further stolen!

Just stupid daftness and bravado while in a group of fellow lads, is all I can put it down to.
    Technically, had a police officer come along and seen what he was doing, he could have faced any number of charges.

Lame...

Lame...

Stupid people doing stupid things.
    What can you do!

(...Besides wanting to slap them around the head with a bottle of kop-on!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

Co-workers snorting coke on the nightshift to stay awake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,193 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Fentdog84 wrote: »
    Co-workers snorting coke on the nightshift to stay awake.
    is that shocking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

is that shocking?

Yes because they didnt offer me any!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Hi,

Joan Burton here, you should see the **** that goes down in the Dáil.
    James Reilly doesn't pay his bills, Enda talks constant $hite and I'm a total muppet

thank you for your time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Dire poverty.

People killed, shot & blown to bits.

Air raids & artillery barrages.

Mine fields & victims of mines.

Orphans.

And people who didn't give a tuppennies f*ck about any of it..

Is Aston Quay really that bad ??? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭jdooley28

Working in a niteclub with a few others, one guy is putting ice into a drink from an ice bucket. The glass shatters in his hand(it just randomly happens sometimes) so there is glass in the ice and probably blood to.

He goes about his business, gets a new glass and is about to put ice (which is now a mixture ice, blood, glass and vodka) into it. The fella closest to him noticed straight away thankfully and empted it all down sink and in no uncertain terms told the lad to get the f*ck out of there before he could do any more damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Nice try - not him.
    Outside of own work - but in other places where others do that I frequent, I've seen stabbings, people inside in pub corners defecating, drug taking (some by famous people, in the Homelands VIP section for a start), and some other stuff that honestly is too explicit to express here on an open forum which can be read by young eyes possibly.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

You love yourself waaay too much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

I didn't witness did but a friend did. I taught for one year in the Middle East with the International School of Choueifat / SABIS in one of their primary schools. All of the janitors in our school were from poorer Arabic / Subcontinent countries, and they all wore green overalls. Some kid was misbehaving in the class my friend was teaching in - 4th grade. The principal happened to be walking by the class, while one of the janitors was sweeping by the bin. The principal, admonishing the kid, asked him "Do you want to grow up to be a green man if you carry on behaving like that?" pointing at the janitor. Pretty low way to demean your employee if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭gamgsam

I work in a back packer hostel.

We don't usually let in Irish people, beecause they usually aren't backpackers and dont have ID. We let some in at the weekend of the Red Hot Chilli Peppers gig. Chatted away to most of them before the gig while I was eating dinner, all sound, well spoken, grand people. I thought thered be no hassle.

Next morning there was beer everywhere. Girls knickers in the corridoors, every room ful of vodka bottles.

**** in the showers! but worst of all

Some complete c*nt pood in the cisttern of the toilet. I only noticed because he knocked the flush column so the toilet was in free flow after he replaced the lid. What dirty little scrotes these people were. I had to wrap my hand up in bags and lift his poo out. I did see the funny side, but that is one of the most horrible things i've done.

So yeah, no more irish in there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

gamgsam wrote: »

We don't usually let in Irish people, beecause they usually aren't backpackers and dont have ID. We let some in at the weekend of the Red Hot Chilli Peppers gig. Chatted away to most of them before the gig while I was eating dinner, all sound, well spoken, grand people. I thought thered be no hassle.

Next morning there was beer everywhere. Girls knickers in the corridoors, every room ful of vodka bottles.

Some complete c*nt pood in the cisttern of the toilet. I only noticed because he knocked the flush column so the toilet was in free flow after he replaced the lid. What dirty little scrotes these people were. I had to wrap my hand up in bags and lift his poo out. I did see the funny side, but that is one of the most horrible things i've done.

I would have prosecuted for criminal damage. Beer bottles everywhere isnt nice to leave but its not criminal. ****ting in a cistren is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

In 2001 I was working part time in kays kitchen. We were told to pour the milk people didnt use into a large jug.

The Jug would just be sitting there all day. Getting filled with slops. The milk was then poured through a sieve (to remove dirt, sugar, whatever) and put in the fridge for consumption the next day :mad:

I totally forgot about this dirty act until a boards member said the same a few months ago. But am actually getting more memories as I write this. Remember the manager (mid 40s woman) was a right c*nt. Uber false type. Remember she stiffed me on my final paycheck. Deducting "cost of uniform" from my pay. Even tho I supplied my own white shirt and slacks. In fact, I believe everyone supplied their own uniform.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

How much for the girls knickers?

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

You saw the funny side when you had your hands wrapped in plastic bags and you were literally fishing someone's sh**e out of a toilet cistern?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

awec wrote: »
    You saw the funny side when you had your hands wrapped in plastic bags and you were literally fishing someone's sh**e out of a toilet cistern?
    Well, you gotta laugh, don't you. Or you'd cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

I didn't witness this one but the guys that work here swear it's true. The foreman was wondering where "Jimmy" was and went to look for him. He found "Jimmy" at the back of the workshop having a **** into a plastic bag.

wasn't a plastic bag. was a rubber glove. I aint no savage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭ian87

I've found a soiled adult sized nappy, countless pairs of soiled jocks, period blood on the toilet seats in our pub. Colleagues have found a cucumber in a **** stained condom.

My best one was a newly 18 Chung fella we found when we were cleaning the jacks an hour after everybody left. He was at his dads 50th and was swamping guinness like a total amateur trying to keep up with his dads mates. His mam was looking for him for ages and assumes he had pissed off to a nightclub with his pals so they left without him.
    When we found him he was sitting on the toilet fast asleep drenched in his own vomit. He got sick up into the air and had covered himself in it and miraculously not got a drop anywhere but in his hair and on his shoulders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Guy in work was sacked when a supervisor came in to find him with his shoe and sock off, clipping his toenail with a company snips :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

ian87 wrote: »
    I've found a soiled adult sized nappy, countless pairs of soiled jocks, period blood on the toilet seats in our pub. Colleagues have found a cucumber in a **** stained condom.

My best one was a newly 18 Chung fella we found when we were cleaning the jacks an hour after everybody left. He was at his dads 50th and was swamping guinness like a total amateur trying to keep up with his dads mates. His mam was looking for him for ages and assumes he had pissed off to a nightclub with his pals so they left without him.
    When we found him he was sitting on the toilet fast asleep drenched in his own vomit. He got sick up into the air and had covered himself in it and miraculously not got a drop anywhere but in his hair and on his shoulders.

That young lad was very lucky not to choke and die.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭gamgsam

I would have prosecuted for criminal damage. Beer bottles everywhere isnt nice to leave but its not criminal. ****ting in a cistren is!

Couldn't find out who did it, lost cause.
    awec wrote: »

Yeah man, it was a laugh or cry moment. Sometimes you have to do horrible things, may as well see the funny side. I was very angry for about 20 minutes after, but had to have a think about it because I was being rude to customers . So I saw the funny side. Still if I found out who it was I would not be laughing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I worked in a pub, and a guy asked me for the strongest shot you have. So naturally i gave it to him, he seemed sober enough. Downed it, and then got sick right in my face

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I work in a warehouse, nothing too shocking just the usual arguements between lads who work together. Although one day there was a fight between two of them. They both got sacked.

One of the Polish guys called a black man who was unknowingly blocking his way a ****** though which was fairly uncomfortable to have to hear.
    I'm surprised the man didn't make a formal complaint but he just ignored him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Which hostel is this that doesn't allow Irish!? I say I've stayed in 15 backpacker hostels in Dublin when I'm up in the big smoke, way cheaper than a hotel and better than sleeping on a mate's couch.

Now that you mention it though, they always insist on driver's license or passport no matter what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I saw a middle aged stout man shove a young girl by the throat up in a corner of the corridor because shed asked him for overdue documents. ( nicely)

Despite a witness ( me) the " management" got rid of the new girl ; "Eddie is valuable to us".

And the manager who did this hatchet job was a woman.
    Unbelievable. Twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭harvester of sorrow

Did a brief stint for a med device company in cork a few years back,and went for a piss after the morning break(10ish).Strolled up to the urinal,which had the stalls right behind them, and started hosing away.Que some grunting behind me in one of the stalls followed by "get out ya cunt"!:eek: and more grunting.....next thing boink,splash!
    I finished up pronto,washed the hands, left the jacks and went to the work station right opposite the entrance to the bog and waited for the culprit to come out.Turned out to be the factory loon,and was supposedly a normal occurance:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Pretty sure you met Flutt. You obviously crossed him somehow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

I was working in an unnamed fast food restaurant after closing (during the clean up) when a girl came to the door in tears, we let her in and found out someone had tried to rape her, then as she was telling us the story, I realized she had just come from the building I live(ed) in, and I knew the guy. After a few minutes we hear this banging on the door and I went to check it out, only to find the guy outside the front door (He could see her inside talking to us and started screaming nasty shit). Told him to fuck off, but didn't want to go home that night (unpleasant neighbor, not particularly physical, but dodgy creepy vibe from the guy). Despite our urging, unfortunately she would not report it to the Gardai and left in a taxi we called for her, at her request. Glad to move out of there a few days later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

most everyone ive done I.T work for has asked me how to delete history completely from their pc's & is their a means of downloading porn that isn't filled with viruses; management sorts generally...

ahh the wonders of being 40s under paid and over the hill :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Each floor has its own kichenette with a sink, a couple of microwaves, coffee machines, fridges, and toasters. I was toasting a bagel when a co-worker walks up, says hi to me, and then proceeds to spit into the kitchen sink. He didn't even rinse it down. Not a chocking on a nut kind of spit - an accidental spit - but a let me clear my throat, clean the tonsils, and hock right into the bowl.

Now, there are many, many people who use the sink to wash their dishes and cups, but there are also many people who use the sink to rinse off fruit. Today, I saw a girl drop a blueberry in the sink and she picked it up to pop it into her mouth. Luckily, before I could scream nooooo!, she reconsidered and threw it in the trash. I can imagine other people weren't so thoughtful.

was cleaning out the fridges at work and stupid boss came on and stood there for 15 mins plus just watching me saying good boy good boy over and over

after about 10 minutes i snapped and said im not a ****ing dog

never saw her again 2 weeks later she killed herself after husband left her

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭bob the bob

mongdesade wrote: »
    The 'overpaid professional suit wearers & meeting attenders', walking around the place doing fúck all else except making the real workers lives a misery :mad:

Decision makers you mean? As opposed to meat based programmable automatons who do what they are told?

• Site Banned Posts: 153 ✭✭kegzmc

2 lads looking over toilet wall at my 68 year old boss passing a kidney stone

• Advertisement
Advertisement