Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need to get a website

Options
  • 11-07-2012 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭

Hi Gys

I need to get a website done and wouldnt have a clue about how to go about it. I have a graphic designer who will help me but how do I go about getting prices for a website when you cant talk the talk and I dont want to be taking advantage of. i have tried websites like scriptlance etc and all the designers there have done is taking my money for very little work and reduced my budget. :mad:
    I have sample sites from the Uk etc that I like and they would something similar to what im looking for.

Cheers for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭business bloomer

capefear wrote: »
    Hi Gys

I need to get a website done and wouldnt have a clue about how to go about it. I have a graphic designer who will help me but how do I go about getting prices for a website when you cant talk the talk and I dont want to be taking advantage of. i have tried websites like scriptlance etc and all the designers there have done is taking my money for very little work and reduced my budget. :mad:
    I have sample sites from the Uk etc that I like and they would something similar to what im looking for.

Cheers for any advice

Hi capefear,

The best way to ask for quotes around is to be very specific - despite you are not very technical.

I suggest to mention the following:

0) goal of the website: getting online / acquire more customers / sell products
    1) website type: brochure website / shopping cart / blog
    2) how many pages; need a blog?
    3) what functionalities: social media integration, etc
    4) with or without CMS (with a CMS you can edit it yourself)
    5) similar websites to yours ie the UK one
    6) websites / brands you like for inspiration
    7) time requirements

Also make sure they give you a quote, give you a contract with terms and conditions and cancellation policy and also say how many revisions are included.

Hope it helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Useful threads:

Looking for a website or website advice?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056283992

Work Wanted Superthread (Only ad thread - Read post before posting) Updated 09/08/11
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055802922

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

As well as considering how many pages you need, go further. What specific pages do you need? Write down a list of them.

Pull out some blank sheets of paper, one for each page and draw out an outline of the page - thinking through what content (text, images, video, links, etc) is on each page. Is there navigation at the top, bottom or sidebar, or all of the above?

Do you need a logo or have you one already? If you got it done do you have it in high quality image or do you need it re-digitised? Do you have a brand identity/colour scheme that the site should be based off? If not, what colours do you want to choose? Here's a logo questionnaire I use with clients - have a look at the questions and write down the answers in your own notes.

The more planning you can do upfront, the stronger your knowledge will be going in to ask designers, and the more confident they will be in giving you an accurate quote based on the details.

Advertisement