Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rain comes in under steel shed

• 11-07-2012 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a steel shed which sits on a concrete base. In hindsight we should have erected the shed first and then embeded it in the concrete.

Anyway, because the steel is just sitting on the concrete, when it rains water comes in on one side. It's not a lot, and comes in from a couple of points to about half way across the floor.

The shed looks like this:29in-x-16in.jpg
    (The gaps under my shed are not visible like the ones in the picture, this seems to be up off the ground)

Can anyone suggest how I could seal the shed floor?

Also I'd was thinking of adding a wooden floor, would ply fixed to the frame that's already there do the job or would it just rot?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

ShayC wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a steel shed which sits on a concrete base. In hindsight we should have erected the shed first and then embeded it in the concrete.

Anyway, because the steel is just sitting on the concrete, when it rains water comes in on one side. It's not a lot, and comes in from a couple of points to about half way across the floor.

The shed looks like this:29in-x-16in.jpg
    (The gaps under my shed are not visible like the ones in the picture, this seems to be up off the ground)

Can anyone suggest how I could seal the shed floor?

Also I'd was thinking of adding a wooden floor, would ply fixed to the frame that's already there do the job or would it just rot?

thanks

Buy a sheet of plastic, DPC, spread it over the floor, and up the walls.
    Pour a concrete screed inside the shed, the height of the frame, about 40mm.
    Trowel to a smooth finish.
    When dried cut off the excess plastic, back to the top of frame.
    Shed is now sealed around the frame, as the water will not get past the DPC,and the floor will be level with the top of frame, and door threshold.
    Did the shed co not specify this finish to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ShayC

Hi,
    Thanks for that.
    They basicly said we should have waited to pour the concrete base until after the shed was built, but by then it was too late.
    Getting the base built was a lot of work and expense so I was hoping to avoid having to do it again but I guess that's the best option.

Hi,
    Thanks for that.
    They basicly said we should have waited to pour the concrete base until after the shed was built, but by then it was too late.
    Getting the base built was a lot of work and expense so I was hoping to avoid having to do it again but I guess that's the best option.

Bad info. there from the shed co.

The base onto which they bold down the shed should be 100mm on hardcore. Otherwise what would they bolt the shed to, or were they going to stand the shed on soil, and just an internal floor, wrong,

The internal floor is only 40mm, agree its additional expense, but the only way to ensure water is not blown under the frame, and the shed will be resistant to high winds and not blow over.

Thanks, appreciate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Could you cut a channel along where the leak is, or go the whole lenght...and bung in a couple tubes of non setting sealant under the frame...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Build a row of 4" blocks on edge around the inside perimeter of the shed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Gary Busey

you could also use torch on felt to prevent water coming in. It wouldnt stop the concrete absorbing moisture but its cheaper.

If you have the cash do as stated above and pour a sreed on dpc. If you have the cash you could also add insulation boards under the screed

Hi,

I've decided to get the a concrete floor put in.
    The shed is 12X16
    A local builder has quoted me 600 euro, does that sound ok?
    I have no idea how much this should cost.

thanks

Hi,

I've decided to get the a concrete floor put in.
    The shed is 12X16
    A local builder has quoted me 600 euro, does that sound ok?
    I have no idea how much this should cost.

thanks

Sounds about right, don't forget the plastic sheet, under the concrete, and insure its a trowel finish, to give you a smooth and level floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

I had the same problem with a steel shed, bolted (rawlbolts) to a concrete floor. What I did sounds drastic, but it cured the problem 100%.

1. Unscrew the nuts from the rawlbolts. Using a showel (pointed) lever the hollow section (running around the base) about 6mm above the floor. Once you have a section raised, put small timbers under it to keep it up. Do the same for the remainder of the shed.
    2. Now the shed is raised about 6 mm off the floor. using a mastic gun and Tech7, inject a good thick bead of the Tech7 under the hollow sections.
    3. Remove the supporting timbers one at a time. Inject Tech 7 also in when each timber is removed.
    3. When all the timbers are removed, the shed will sit down on top of the Tech7 (you may have to tap down the hollow sections with a hammer)
    4. Retighten the rawlbolts.
    5. No more water penetration.

Total cost: €60 (7 tubes of Tech7).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 emercaughfield

I don't know much about this but i think it's the time you should think of a building a new roof. You can consult a roofing contractor or company, they will provide you a brief knowledge for this.

Advertisement