Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Players direct from Brazil to the EPL

• 11-07-2012 11:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭

With Chelsea's possible signing of Oscar, which other players have joined the EPL directly and either been a success or failure?
    Especially big money transfers

Would you consider Denilson or Gilberto Silva a success or failure?

Lucas Leiva, slow starter but until becoming injured was turing into a key player for Liverpool.

More to settle an arguement really!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Juninho for Brazil brought a lot of excitement and he was pretty good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Tevez came from Brazil, as did Mascherano, both obviously massive success'.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

Kleberson, like a boss!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Gilberto Silva was definitely a success. One of the most underrated players of the Premier League era in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

da silva twins have done...decent? plus there still only young

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Lucas, didnt settle at first. But byjingo he has now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Rafael and Fabio. Too early to say whether they're successes or failures?

Edit: beaten to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭UserName 217

Ramires?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Ramires?

He came from Portugal to Chelsea .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Underground

Gilberto Silva was a massive success.

Denilson a.k.a "The Crab" didn't work at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Diego Cavalieri went from Palmeiras to Liverpool to warm the bench as a reserve keeper!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭tvercetti

Sylvinho - First ever Brasilian to sign for Arsenal. Took over from Winterburn but was displaced by Cole in his second season and sold on for a couple of million

Edu - Took along time to settle, Impressed before leaving on a Bosman

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Dercola

Paully D wrote: »
    Gilberto Silva was definitely a success. One of the most underrated players of the Premier League era in my opinion.

I'm an Arsenal fan, and I used nerver understand how Wenger kept picking Gilberto every week. I never rated him, that is until I saw him at Highbury in 06. Dude was a top quality player, even if most of what he did went unnoticed..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

That was Wenger's biggest mistake for me, Flamini had displaced Gilberto the season before, so when Flamini left....Gilberto got sold too. What?

Also, we lost Lass Diarra that season too, keep one of them at least...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Mirandinha- first Brazil in the English Football when he signed with Newcastle Utd in 1987 from Palmeiras. Played two seasons, 54 games and 19 goals but I seem to remember the English coming up with the theory that Brazilians don't like playing in the cold English winters from Mirandinha performances at Newcastle. I know before the EPL but you occasionally hear this argument rolled out when players come direct from Brazil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭shangri la

Who likes playing in the cold english winters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,721 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

before Gullit and Klinsman came to the EPL - Norwegian defensive midfielders were as exotic as it got - I remember Forest signed an italian in the mid 90s and then suddenly Chelsea and Boro became all sexy

oh , and Cantona

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

thebaz wrote: »
    before Gullit and Klinsman came to the EPL - Norwegian defensive midfielders were as exotic as it got - I remember Forest signed an italian in the mid 90s and then suddenly Chelsea and Boro became all sexy

oh , and Cantona

Huh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I thought Edu was excellent at times for Arsenal before leaving on a bosman to Valencia I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

If we do sign Oscar it will represent a risk, especially given the sums of money involved.

It will be interesting to see how it pans out though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

GavRedKing wrote: »
    If we do sign Oscar it will represent a risk, especially given the sums of money involved.

It will be interesting to see how it pans out though.

No more of a risk than Tevez, I'd say

Tevez was 2,3 years older then Oscar when he moved to England IIRC.

It represents a risk but if we he does the buisness for us then it will be a shrewd piece of business picking up one of Brazil's young talents.

It represents a risk but if we he does the buisness for us then it will be a shrewd piece of business picking up one of Brazil's young talents.

Plus Oscar will be coming to Swinging Cosmopolitan London, which has more than one cinema ;)

Plus Oscar will be coming to Swinging Cosmopolitan London, which has more than one cinema ;)

Remind me who Tevez played for when he first came to England, by any chance was it West Ham. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Hardly shrewd when he's costing 25 mill.

JPA wrote: »

If he ended up joining one of Europes other top teams and we went to buy him in 3 years after having a good few seasons then he'd cost us more.

Buying for the future on potetinal ability is always a risk, granted but if he does good then its going to be better then buying a British player whos price is over inflated.

JPA wrote: »

Roman has a bee in his bonnet about Brazilian players. He wants Neymar really badly but him and Lucas, Ganso etc would cost north of £35 milliion, so compared to the current darlings of brazilian attackers, he is cheaper, with the promise to improve

Or, perhaps unfairly, Stewart Downing and Jordan Henderson both for £20 million each?

Advertisement