Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing snake from th UK

• 11-07-2012 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Is there any documentation that you need when bringing a snake from the UK to Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I remember when I used to work in the pet-trade we would be required to apply for paperwork for the allowance of import of specific animals, down to the family/subgroup/latin name.

AFAIK that's all changed. I'm not 100% but I believe the new system is a bit of a nightmare. Are you planning on travelling with the animal itself, and are you using an airline that allows transport of animals in the hold? Make sure of that first. Then I would send an email to either revenue.ie or citizens information as they both would be involved somewhat in the laws surrounding the import of live animals.

Try and get as much advise/emails/letters from these people before you attempt to bring the snake into the country.

You will be quizzed at every stop along the way - what is the snake, where did it come from, why do you have it - all asked by people who don't really understand the idea of the husbandry of reptiles, so you'll find alot of skeptical people and raised eyebrows along the way. Just make sure you have print outs of all your emails and a contact number for someone in the relevant department if need be.

Speed is generally the issue, the last thing you want is your snake becoming ill because of being stuck in a travel bag/box in low temps.

If you're not travelling it's better I think - plenty of carriers deal with transportation of live animals and some even specialize in exotics/herps etc.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭EireIceMan

you could ask on herpireland.com. I know a few people have done it from there.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

kinky bear wrote: »
    Is there any documentation that you need when bringing a snake from the UK to Ireland

None whatsoever unless its cites protected.

Ive imported herps before without issue.You will need too mark the package as "harmless live animals" but usually importing snakes its done by courier as its faster and les stressful on the animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 kinky bear

Hellrazer wrote: »
    None whatsoever unless its cites protected.

Ive imported herps before without issue.You will need too mark the package as "harmless live animals" but usually importing snakes its done by courier as its faster and les stressful on the animal.

Do you know if it would be the same if I was traveling with the animal itself traveling on a ferry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭REPTILEDAN88

Do you know if it would be the same if I was traveling with the animal itself traveling on a ferry?
    As far as I know they must they in the car holding deck in your polybox etc as they are not allowed on the passanger deck and like Hellrazer says just make sure you have cites if needed and you should be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Should be the same.Again unless it needs Cites papers it should be fine.
    But label it well.A customs officer could ask you to open it so be prepared.If its nippy or nervous be prepared to handle it in front of them to prove what it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I was gonna bring a viper over from England bout two year ago but was told the paper work and all would be too much to go thru so decided not to but think that just was because it was a poisonous snake
    Best place to ask is Ireland reptile forum

I was gonna bring a viper over from England bout two year ago but was told the paper work and all would be too much to go thru so decided not to but think that just was because it was a poisonous snake
    Best place to ask is Ireland reptile forum

Shouldnt have made any difference.There are no laws to keeping venoms down here.
    If you were going to NI though you`d need your DWA licence to import it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 familyfirst

Hi. We bought our corns over about 3 years ago. We went through contacting the British embassy, and had several emails and phonecalls to try work out what we needed to do. In the end we had a letter from them to say that there were no restrictions so long as transported correctly and were told to take the letter with us incase we were stopped. We were stopped and the car searched as we had tinted windows but nothing was said and they didn't even ask for any documentation.

May be worth you contacting the British embassy though and see if they can do similar for you so you're covered or incase things have changed.

Good luck

Advertisement