Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employers reaction to pregnancy

Options
  • 11-07-2012 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi,
    I'm thinking about getting pregnant and am currently in a job that I hate. I'm trying to get another but obviously it is very hard these days and I think it is probably better to try in my current job than wait as I don't know when the new job will come. My issue is that I am worried about what my employer will say as my department is going to change dramatically in the next year or so in that people will be moved around, retrained and it will be much busier. I don't know how long it'll take to get pregnant but am worried that if I get some preliminary training for a new role and then get pregnant it will be an awkward situation. I know that legally someone can't get fired or treated differently for being pregnant but I know that work laws that are regularly broken. So I was just wondering if anyone has had any bad responses from employers when they've announced their pregnancy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

I say that you should do as you want to do! If you feel the time if right for you to have a baby then do it! Even if you have training for a new role and get pregnant you will still be working around 8 months or so before the birth of the child. If your employer treats you negatively in any light with concerns to your pregnancy you can get workers rights all over that!

I was worried about what my employer might say about me getting pregnant since i found out in april and was only in the job since the previous october but thankfully my boss was delighted and they have been very supportive of me since the news!

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

Companies are so used to dealing with situations like this, and the law is on your side!

Don't even dream of putting off your family plans for a job you don't even like! Another consideration is if you change jobs, there is often a 6 month trial period where you wouldn't be entitled to full maternity benefit.

Go for it - you and your employer will work something out, and remember you are entitled to a similar job with the same pay on your return from maternity!

Best of luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Shuwaaah

I would be a tad apprehensive if you have been in your job for less than a year. This problem wouldn't happen with the majority of employers but if you're unlucky enough to work for the sort of people I used to work for who conjured up false reasons to get rid of me once they heard about my pregnancy, I would wait. I sought legal advice and was informed that unfair dismissal laws didn't cover me as I hadn't been working there for a full 12 months.

So it can happen, but also bear in mind that most employers would be fine with it, and like one of the ladies said above, they may even be delighted for you. Best of luck :-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

My sister was made redundant when she got pregnant again (first time she miscarried). Just make sure you keep a record of everything that occurs at work, in case of unfair dismissal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

If I waited til work conditions were right to have a baby, I'd never have one! We are in the middle of a downturn in our company, there were loads of redundancies late last year shortly after I fell pregnant and I remember feeling bad as I was one of the ones that was kept on, but it was far too early to be telling people I was pregnant.

But, I've worked closely with my boss on training in my replacements, I've not left any holes & I feel fine about taking my maternity leave. I've made myself indispensable on the run up to my mat leave as well. There's never a good time to have kids really, you just have to work out when is best for you & your circumstances.

My boss couldn't really say anything as his Mrs had three babies a year or two apart and so was regularly on mat leave from her company. Everyone here has been delighted for me so I've been very lucky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Ditto the other posters advice, you have to do what's best for you & your circumstances, just keep in mind that you may not conceive straight away.

On my 1st i was in a 6mth contract job which ended 2 wks into my maternity leave so needless to say that contract wasn't renewed.

On my 2nd I wasn't in the job very long but my employers were very congratulatory when i broke my news and have since sent me on training courses so they obviously believe i'm still worth investing in despite my impending leave. I'm not entitled to maternity pay as i'm not with the company the required length of time but we survived last time with just the social welfare benefit, having a family is our priority and we're not getting any younger :D

Advertisement