Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Deli Thread.

• 11-07-2012 12:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

So with being deep in recession the breakfast or builders roll may not be as big a seller anymore, the healthy wraps and bagels are selling well, and people are finally seeing sense and going for the generic coffee rather than the copa latta or what ever the hell its called.

But sometimes they do slightly grind my gears. If its asking the girl to change their gloves or wash their hands after handling rubbish or opening the pedal bin with their hands, or if its bitting into that sandwich and finding the unspread block of butter, or finding stuff in your roll that you didn't ask for, ie small bits of food that was on the counter from the last sandwich prepared moments later, especailly that orange coloured processed cheese.

So what do you love/hate about them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Get up early, eat porridge, problem sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Not enough mustard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

irish-stew wrote: »
    finding stuff in your roll that you didn't ask for

You get free topings???? :mad: damn where do you get your rolls?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Prawn cocktail and pineapple cubes

Yeah I get strange looks but I don't care, it's the nicest roll you'll ever order

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

(Hate) The price, of anything you get at a deli counter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I hate how you can go to the same deli every day for a week, get the exact same thing each time, and never pay the same price!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭kart

cruiser178 wrote: »
    (Hate) The price, of anything you get at a deli counter.

Same here.
    Plus choice is always same whichever deli's u go to.
    Another problem is that u might get stuff thats been standing there way too long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Remove the frikkin fat from the Ham.

Have you any Cheese that tastes of anything whatsoever? (Preferably of Cheese).

My order consists of 3 ingredients - Why does the server invariably recall just 1 of them, 20 seconds after I've placed it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I have bigger problems to worry about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Cut out the root of the tomato so there's no fcuking hard, horrible green bit in my wrap! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I'm not a fan of the sandwiches they try to make as the bread isn't the right shape to get enough salad in a la Subway or something similar.
    And I don't know what this is about people going back to drinking normal coffee. A Latte is espresso topped with hot milk by the way, it's not that complicated.

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of the sandwiches they try to make as the bread isn't the right shape to get enough salad in a la Subway or something similar.
    And I don't know what this is about people going back to drinking normal coffee. A Latte is espresso topped with hot milk by the way, it's not that complicated.

Latte aint complicated of course, its all down to people's personal taste how they take their coffee. I like both by the way. Im not quite sure what does threadstarter mean by saying that "people are finally seeing sense and going for the generic coffee rather than the copa latta". Why would u call drinking so-called "normal" coffee seeing sence.
    Caffe Latte means - coffee with milk. Normally steamed milk in that case.

Maybe one reason people do drink what you call normal coffee more now, because after all these years, finally, deli's and convenience shops have started to sell quality "normal coffee" compared to a pisswater that u got only few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

chin_grin wrote: »
    Get up early, eat porridge, problem sorted.

Porridge isn't remotely filling, at least for me.

Eggs or full-fat Greek yoghurt for the win!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

I just finished a tasty sandwich from a Spar deli across the road from work. I go through phases of ordering the same sandwich as the deli has so much choice!

My favourite sambo at the moment;

Brown bread
    Mayo
    Salami
    Chicken
    Lettuce
    Jalopeno peppers

delicious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

im going to make a generalization here.
    People that work in delis are the worst at the their job from what ive seen.
    what i mean by that is your average deli worker is worse at making a sandwich than your average hairdresser is at cutting hair or mechanic is at fixing your car etc.

So with being deep in recession the breakfast or builders roll may not be as big a seller anymore, the healthy wraps and bagels are selling well

What is that conclusion based on? Them healthy bagels and wraps are usually more expensive than rolls in delis, so if that statistics about them selling better now than rolls is true, then at least it has nothing to do with recession.

Other than that-yep i do agree that deli's probably dont sell half as much as they used to before.
    Sea Filly wrote: »
    Porridge isn't remotely filling, at least for me.

Eggs or full-fat Greek yoghurt for the win!

Porridge might not feel like filling, but ur sure to be feeling less hungry then during day as it is the type of food that releases energy slowly and gives u energy half a day afterwards.
    I would not make porridge in normal days myself, as i dun eat brekkie. getting out of door 6am dont feel even remotly hungry.

On days off i like fried brekkie sometimes.

Bagels are not particularly healthy either

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭croker1

Why the absolute fcuk do they just land a layer of sauce on the top of the roll (not in the roll) and wrap the paper over it? Every scrap of sauce is then on the paper when I take it off and not on the roll where I fcuking asked it to be....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

I hate when they put sauce on top of the fillings instead of underneath them. It makes the roll too messy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

croker1 wrote: »
    Why the absolute fcuk do they just land a layer of sauce on the top of the roll (not in the roll) and wrap the paper over it? Every scrap of sauce is then on the paper when I take it off and not on the roll where I fcuking asked it to be....

You got there before me!

• Advertisement

croker1 wrote: »

Hehe, yea, thats another crazy thing that i also never understood:P
    like...i sometimes wanted egg and mayo mix in roll or ketchup and was gobsmacked when server put them on top.. haha

kart wrote: »
    Hehe, yea, thats another crazy thing that i also never understood:P
    like...i sometimes wanted egg and mayo mix in roll or ketchup and was gobsmacked when server put them on top.. haha

again it's the shape of the rolls they use, should be wider and shorter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Can I have a TINY bit of Ketchup please?

No problem sir.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

o briens - had foccia italain bread,goats cheese ,olives and sweet red onion jam..delicous

there was on occasion i went into a petrol station deli bar and i noitced the girl who was cleaning didnt change the gloves and was making my sandwich :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Hashy Houdini

Real Life wrote: »
    im going to make a generalization here.
    People that work in delis are the worst at the their job from what ive seen.
    what i mean by that is your average deli worker is worse at making a sandwich than your average hairdresser is at cutting hair or mechanic is at fixing your car etc.

true in a lot of cases, makes you appreciate when you get a decent made roll or sandwich
    excess butter / sauce is the common mistake - horrible finding huge clumps of butter lurking in your roll disgusting :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

the whole thing of you telling them exactly what you want, but then they still ask you "butter?" "mayonaisse?" "do you want it cut in half?" etc.

I think someone referred to it before as the Subway Challenge, where you tell them once only in detail exactly what you want, and then not say another single word, not answering any quesions, and see if you can still get what you ordered.

edit: here's the thread in question http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71536929

again it's the shape of the rolls they use, should be wider and shorter

O yes:) but they do KNOW what kind they are using so they should try and adapt to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

kart wrote: »
    Porridge might not feel like filling, but ur sure to be feeling less hungry then during day as it is the type of food that releases energy slowly and gives u energy half a day afterwards.

Huh? It's not filling as in, I feel hungry an hour after having it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Ridiculous pricing!! :mad: :mad:
    My local deli does a large hot chicken roll for €3.50, this includes 3 fillings on top of the chicken. I asked the less than pleasant girl in the deli for the chicken fillet in a small half sized roll with just mayo and lettuce. The result? A small roll with 2 fillings that cost €3.80 :eek: Questioned the girl in the deli who after a lot of grunting and sighing broke the pricing down for me-
    Small roll 1.00
    Chicken fillet 2.00
    Mayo 40c
    Lettuce 40c

I pointed out to her that a large hot chicken roll full to the brim with salad would have been cheaper but she insisted I should pay the €3.80. I fired the roll back over the counter at her and told her where to stick it.

Also: You charge for potato salad as a filling so why the fcuck are you spreading it thinly like fcucking butter?????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

So with being deep in recession the breakfast or builders roll may not be as big a seller anymore, the healthy wraps and bagels are selling well, and people are finally seeing sense and going for the generic coffee rather than the copa latta or what ever the hell its called.

But sometimes they do slightly grind my gears. If its asking the girl to change their gloves or wash their hands after handling rubbish or opening the pedal bin with their hands, or if its bitting into that sandwich and finding the unspread block of butter, or finding stuff in your roll that you didn't ask for, ie small bits of food that was on the counter from the last sandwich prepared moments later, especailly that orange coloured processed cheese.

My local deli does a large hot chicken roll for €3.50, this includes 3 fillings on top of the chicken. I asked the less than pleasant girl in the deli for the chicken fillet in a small half sized roll with just mayo and lettuce. The result? A small roll with 2 fillings that cost €3.80 :eek: Questioned the girl in the deli who after a lot of grunting and sighing broke the pricing down for me-
    Small roll 1.00
    Chicken fillet 2.00
    Mayo 40c
    Lettuce 40c

I pointed out to her that a large hot chicken roll full to the brim with salad would have been cheaper but she insisted I should pay the €3.80. I fired the roll back over the counter at her and told her where to stick it.

Yep, you sure showed some minimum paid girl just doing her job that has no control of pricing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Doesn't anyone make a fcuking sandwich/roll themselves now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Small roll 1.00
    Chicken fillet 2.00
    Mayo 40c
    Lettuce 40c

Also: You charge for potato salad as a filling so why the fcuck are you spreading it thinly like fcucking butter?????

The flip side of that is being charged extra for the salad.

Went into one deli, asked for a ham and chicken roll with a little lettice and red onion and got charged for 4 toppings.

:eek:

Doesn't anyone make a fcuking sandwich/roll themselves now?

I wouldn't eat sandwiches or bread very often but the problem is if you want 3 or 4 toppings you've to go out and buy all of the stuff. Also people who worry about their weight as if they are 16 year old girls (me) don't like buying a whole block of cheese, whole tub of coleslaw etc just for one sandwich, then you have the rest of it looking at you each time you open the fridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I prefer chicken and rice for my lunch or just not eating

I prefer chicken and rice for my lunch or just not eating

Bamboo shoots ftw

• Advertisement

I wouldn't eat sandwiches or bread very often but the problem is if you want 3 or 4 toppings you've to go out and buy all of the stuff. Also people who worry about their weight as if they are 16 year old girls (me) don't like buying a whole block of cheese, whole tub of coleslaw etc just for one sandwich, then you have the rest of it looking at you each time you open the fridge.

If you're worrying about your weight the last thing you want to be eating is a roll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

Clean the butter & mayo from the knife before you cut it you imbicile!!

You know that bit at the start when you grunt " butter,mayo" at me and I say no thanks??

THAT INCLUDES THE CRUD ON THE KNIFE!!!

bluewolf wrote: »
    If you're worrying about your weight the last thing you want to be eating is a roll

moderation is the key my friend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Not enough mustard.

You can never have enough Mustard!

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

If I get a BLT I always ask for well done bacon with the fat cut off, most are happy to oblige and I wish they would cut the tomato a little smaller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Yep, you sure showed some minimum paid girl just doing her job that has no control of pricing...

Erm. You have miss quoted me. The only time I have question the girl based on that post was in relation too not changing her gloves and washing her hands after putting rubbish into a pedal bin and using her hands to open and close it. Thats basic hygine and HACCP guidelines that anyone working with food should be aware of.

The only time I have questioned the staff over pricing was over my most recent comment in relation to being charged extra for salad. Most places that I know of, salad is included in the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Erm. You have miss quoted me. The only time I have question the girl based on that post was in relation too not changing her gloves after putting rubbish into a pedal bin and using her hands. Thats basic hygine and HACCP guidelines that anyone working with food should be aware of.

The only time I have questioned the staff over pricing was over my most recent comment in relation to being charged extra for salad. Most places that I know of, salad is included in the price.

Oups, didnt actually mean to qoute you, must have tapped quote by accident.

I wasnt having a go at people questioning deli staff(Some can be very rude) just the throwing stuff at them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

or if its bitting into that sandwich and finding the unspread block of butter,

Never get this problem as it seems to be margarine or some type of dairyspread they all use. Definitely not Kerrygold anyway.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Oranage2 wrote: »

My issue with the pricing was with the shop. My issue with deli girl was completely different. I might have afforded her some common courtesy if she had shown me some but she has always been an ignorant pig. Actually I heard she got sacked a few months ago for slamming a box of chicken drumsticks so hard on the counter that it opened, chicken flew out, hit the customer and destroyed her suit with grease :pac:

So just to be clear, the minimum paid girl who wasn't doing her job properly (ie serving the customer efficiently and courteously) was eventually 'shown' but not by me. The shop is still hideously overcharging.

• Administrators Posts: 54,112 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Why do they always ask "butter or mayo", in a one or the other type way?

Am I the only person that takes both?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭General Relativity

-Spicy chicken fillet roll
    -no butter
    -mayo
    -grated cheese
    -stuffing.

Boner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I hate how you can go to the same deli every day for a week, get the exact same thing each time, and never pay the same price!

I think you need to really work on becoming more assertive, because that's just taking the píss at your expense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Butter both sides of the f*cking roll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I hate how sullen most of those deli girls are. Would it really kill you to smile and be polite and not just growl 'butter or mayo' at me before lobbing my roll over the top?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭EdanHewittt

What annoys me about some Delis:

- When I see none of those fly zapper things hanging above the cold counter, I lose all respect for the Deli. You know those bright blue things that crucify flies who land on top of them. If I don't see it, no sandwich off you, Deli girl.

- This has been said already. Same roll, bought everyday for a month, different price on it every time. They are not sold by weight you know. This is a sure sign the Deli staff are winging it.

- Huge dollops of Mayo. I always have to say to them before they put it on: "Just a little bit of Mayo". Why? In every bleedin' shop! It's the same.

Haven't the staff been versed in Pareto's Law? Start small, then if I want loads of Mayo, I will ask.

• Advertisement
Advertisement