Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triple monitor gaming build - opinions?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

If you're gaming on three screens It'd be worth your while to get a Radeon 7950 instead. It has an extra 1GB of VRAM and is slightly faster.

The Agility 3 isn't great, get the Samsung 830 instead.

If you're getting the 7950, you should bump up the PSU to a 550 watt, so you can overclock both processor and GPU, and still have a bit of breathing space.

Also, don't get anything that says special item. It means a returned item, or a display model.

Everything else is fine though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 MadHarlequin

I knew posting on here would end up costing me money! Ive heard good things about the samsung SSDs will change that.

Is the extra 70-80 quid for a 7950 worth it? Any particular one you would recommend? Ive always been a little lost when it came to picking graphics cards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Will you be able to run games at 5760x1080 with acceptable frame-rates using a single gfx card? Or are you gaming in one monitor while the other two display other applications?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

i dont want to be a party pooper, but having a 3 monitor gaming setup on 7870 is very optimistic.

what sort of games you planning to play on 3 monitors? if something like wow, then you could get away on low to med settings, racing games? you should be okayish, but if you plan to play BF3, then sorry, it wont go so well.

i got single gtx 680 and i am still not very confident in getting my third monitor to finish my setup.

if you plan on having best eye finity setup now, you could look in to getting 2x7850 and OC them to ****. it would be best performance/cost solution for you.
    2gb vram will be enough and 2 of those will push out some serious performance.

*i know someone will storm in and yell: MULTY GPU SETUPS ARE DEVILS MINIONS, but it is not as bad as people making it to be. multy gpu setups went quit far.

Ive seen reviews showing the 7870 getting decent framerates across 3 monitors, and the 7950 will perform even better. I wont be able to run every new game with ultrahigh settings but since ill be coming from console gaming it should still be a massive step up. And theres nothing stopping me picking up a second card 6 months from now, after all I never know what to ask the missus for at christmas!

• Advertisement

As much as Id love to I really cant afford 2 cards at the moment and I know if I dont spend the money in the next few weeks Ill end up finding something far more sensible and boring to spend the money on.

Think a 7950 is probably the best I can afford right now, even that is really stretching the budget. Will probably be able to pick a second one up in the near future, once the price on them starts dropping.

Any idea what kind of wattage would I need to run 2 OCd cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Just to point out I run 3 1200p screens on a single HD7970 un-overclocked and I get good frame rates on the likes of bf3 maxed out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

I'm on a 6870 and running three screens. On BF3 I'm on Ultra but have to turn the AA off (or very low). Most other games it grand though. Personally if I had the cash I'd buy a 7950 - in your situation I think you'd be mad not to go for it from the word go. That said I'm a happy camper at 40FPS most people aren't.

A word of warning ref eyefinity. Have you used one? If not try and make sure you do before buying. I'm really in two minds about it as the left and right images are stretched to simulate peripheral vision. I can look really odd. I certainly messed about with it for ages trying to 'fix' it.

Example:
    http://youtu.be/W9eMnqyBjGo

Yeah I have tried using an eyefinity setup. It was a bit strange at first but I reckon once you get used to it you wouldnt go back. I still remember when being able to look and move in different directions in a game felt completely alien but i got used to it pretty quick

Yeah I think I will have to go for the 7950 itll just mean an extra week saving for the cash. Anybody any recommendations for a particular make? I was looking at either the gigabyte or the sapphire card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Good rule of thumb (stolen from eboggles) is the cheapest non reference. Personally I've been looking as the ASUS Direct CU. That said there is a V2 of that card due soon.

If you're willing to try over clocking you can get 7970 performance out of them which going by a poster here should get you some nice performance even at mad resolutions.

• Advertisement

Thats grand Ill just grab the cheapest model when I eventually get around to ordering

Advertisement