Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get your dogs to 'play nice'!

• 11-07-2012 1:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So we recently got a new puppy (she's now 13 weeks old) - a Pomeranian - and she's settled in nicely now and is training reasonably well. However, we have another dog in the household, a 2 year old male (neutered) shih tzu.

The two get along fine for the most part, the shih tzu has definitely settled down since we first got him, but still has tendencies to get excited and when he gets excited he's a little too boisterous - using his teeth and nipping and biting. When playing with him this is usually fine as he responds to commands (sometimes) or you can just give him another toy.

The problem is, now that we have this Pom she's a bit of a divil! She's fine like the shih tzu - she plays and nips, but generally responds if she takes it too far - but the problem is when the two dogs get together.

At first they'll just be inquisitive of each other, but the the shih tzu gets a bit jealous and tries to keep her away from us. The pom looks on this as a sort of game and gets excited, but her idea of playing is jumping and nipping at the shih tzu's face. There's only so much of this he can take before he gets excited - chasing ensues, jumping, nipping each other... It's all fine until it eventually gets out of hand, and the two dogs get too excited and start biting a bit too much.

I break them up at this stage and try and calm things down.

Am I doing the right thing? Should you let them play rough like this? It's definitely just play, but with the size of the Pom I'd get worried the shih tzu might accidentally hurt her (or visa versa!)

Is there any 'tricks' to get them to play more 'gently', or rather just without the biting? I've tried giving them separate toys, that doesn't work. I reward them with treats when they're calm, but it doesn't seem to be making a difference.

Any tips/advise would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

a dogs version of play can look quite aggressive to humans when infact its not. ive seen plenty of 'play' that looks like fighting but they'll happily sit together afterwards.

if its not actual aggression i wouldnt worry about it. the pom will probably get put in its place but thats just doggy politics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

a dogs version of play can look quite aggressive to humans when infact its not. ive seen plenty of 'play' that looks like fighting but they'll happily sit together afterwards.

if its not actual aggression i wouldnt worry about it. the pom will probably get put in its place but thats just doggy politics.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. It's definitely not aggressive, just maybe a little too boisterous. They're always excited to see each other, sniffing noses and wagging tails. After a big play they'll generally lay down beside each other for a sleep so there's no bad feelings anyway... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

.ak wrote: »
    Yeah that's what I was thinking. It's definitely not aggressive, just maybe a little too boisterous. They're always excited to see each other, sniffing noses and wagging tails. After a big play they'll generally lay down beside each other for a sleep so there's no bad feelings anyway... ;)

sounds like the perfect combination ;)

Advertisement