Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog broke a tooth

• 11-07-2012 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi All,

Hoping someone can help! Just noticed a few mins ago that my dog has broken one of her bottom canines - no idea how she did it

It is like she has chipped the whole back of the tooth off
    (from the front it looks fine but it is bleeding and the pulp is visible from the back)

I am taking her to the vets in a few hours (as the earliest appointment I could get was for the evening surgery)

In the meantime, what can I do to make her more comfortable as it must be painful

Is it ok to feed her as normal or should I hold off?

Anyone know what the treatment might be?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

you can rub a small drop of clove oil on. its a natural anesthetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Hold off on feeding her until you see the vet. She will most likely have to have the tooth removed and will have to go under general anaesthetic so if that's done immedietely this evening she will need to have been fasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Julygirl

Thanks guys for the advice

Just to update,

Had her to the vets twice since

The night we brought her first, it was still bleeding a bit but we were told it wouldn't need treatment as the nerve wasn't exposed.

Since then, it has started bleeding again a few times (mostly when she tries to bite something of the non-doggie food/toy variety) but stops quite quickly
    Also, she is in good form and drinking & eating grand

We brought her back to the vets at the weekend just to be sure (as it didn't seem right for it to still be bleeding and also we were worried about infection etc. )

Saw a different vet who said also it was grand, no treatment needed and that it would settle down on its own.

It hasn't bled in a day or two now so I guess it is ok
    (still can't help keeping an eye on her mouth & jaw for signs of infection :)

Very hard to stop worrying about them though, isn't it :rolleyes:

Advertisement