Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

taste of the wild dog food

• 11-07-2012 1:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭

www.dogfoodanalysis.com have taste of the wild as one of the best dog foods and its not too pricey,50€ from zooplus.ie.
    anyone using this dog food?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

for 15kg?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭LK KID

for 15kg?
    13.6kg bags

thats not a bad price. its good food.

ya, it looks to be a good food.between taste of the wild or burn which is the same price but 15kg.i think my husky would like the taste of the wild better for the flavours(salmon,duck&fish vs chicken)

same as my girl. she likes the gamey food better. i tried burns but it was too rich for her stomach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Burns do different favours - chicken, fish, pork, lamb or duck.

i bought the 6.8kg bag for €29.99 of "taste of the wild-pacific stream canine" from zooplus.ie
    its the salmon version so should be good for storms coat. they do a deal for two 13.6kg bags for €98 so if storm eats this i'll get that next time.
    dont want to be left with two bags of food she wont eat

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

One of my dogs tends to go off one food in favour of another on a regular basis, and who am I to argue with her? :rolleyes:
    Anyway, normally she is fed BARF in the form of raw meat, and a small amount of cooked veg and spuds, as are my other two dogs. However, when she's having one of her "moods", I feed her Taste of the Wild, as it is IMO far, far superior to Burns.
    In fact, there are not many dry foods on the market as good as it for the money. Burns has had its day, as far as I'm concerned. It was, at one stage, one of the best foods on the market, but it has been seriously surpassed by better, similarly priced (or cheaper) foods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

DBB wrote: »
    Burns has had its day, as far as I'm concerned. It was, at one stage, one of the best foods on the market, but it has been seriously surpassed by better, similarly priced (or cheaper) foods

The ingredients of TOTW are good. The way I look at it, Burns would be a different "type" of food that has a different "purpose" to a no grain/higher protein food.

I tried my dogs on a similar no grain/higher protein food before and it didn't work out. The bag said to transition over 2 weeks - looking back maybe I should have done it slowly over 4 weeks?

Burns has 60% brown rice and is blander. I think this suits some dogs better. I feed my dogs twice a day and they gobble it up. They seem to be doing well on it.

(When I was checking out TOTW online, I was half-tempted! But I swore to myself not to change food unless really necessary. The last time it didn't work out and it was a nightmare.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,250 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I did a good bit of research into dog food and found Taste of the Wild the best value option available.

Orijen used to be cheaper and was decent value but its price has risen sharply and its protein count is high.

My dog hasn't started her bag of TOTW yet but I'm expecting good things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

My dog loves this food. I switch between TOTW and Acana as sometimes TOTW is out of stock. He loves the stuff. I mix it with happy dog xxl as this makes his coat super shiny!

i just got the taste of the wild pacific stream in the post from zooplus.ie which sent it from germany with free postage.
    im going to give it to my husky tonight to see if she likes it.
    looks a good quality dog food at a good price.
    i'll let ye know if she likes it

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Renno123

I am considering getting a bag of taste of the wild but
    after doing a small bit of research I am now unsure.
    There seems to have been a large scale recall of this product along with
    other products made at the same plant.
    Does anyone know if the TOTW bags being sent from zooplus are not the recalled bags?
    also how is everyone getting on with this brand?

Renno123 wrote: »
    I am considering getting a bag of taste of the wild but
    after doing a small bit of research I am now unsure.
    There seems to have been a large scale recall of this product along with
    other products made at the same plant.
    Does anyone know if the TOTW bags being sent from zooplus are not the recalled bags?
    also how is everyone getting on with this brand?
    i have been feeding my husky this now for 3 weeks and she is doing well on the food and seem to like the taste.im now ordering another bag but i think i'll change the flavour(pacific stream) because she has bad breath and the food smells strong of fish.
    im either going to order wetlands canine or high priarie.

i heard about the recall but that was a few years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,950 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

LK KID wrote: »

It was three months ago.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78684846

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

It was three months ago.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78684846

There was loads of posts on zooplus's FB about this a while back - basically zooplus were saying their batches weren't affected but people on FB were saying their food matched the batch numbers and wanted a refund..
    Anyhoos I'm planning on trying my guy on the sierra mountain one - I read on some golden retriever forums that owners have had more success with it than the other flavours for their GRs. Zooplus don't sell it but some sites in the UK do so I'm planning on getting a smaller bag (i just use dry for training/treats so a bigger bag would be sitting around) using parcel motel if the shipping is too much ;)

tk123 wrote: »
    There was loads of posts on zooplus's FB about this a while back - basically zooplus were saying their batches weren't affected but people on FB were saying their food matched the batch numbers and wanted a refund..
    Anyhoos I'm planning on trying my guy on the sierra mountain one - I read on some golden retriever forums that owners have had more success with it than the other flavours for their GRs. Zooplus don't sell it but some sites in the UK do so I'm planning on getting a smaller bag (i just use dry for training/treats so a bigger bag would be sitting around) using parcel motel if the shipping is too much ;)
    kennelgate ae the official irish and uk distributors but they cost more than zooplus. kennelgate have the siera mountain aswell as every other.
    http://www.kennelgate.co.uk/shop/taste-of-the-wild

kennelgate ae the official irish and uk distributors but they cost more than zooplus. kennelgate have the siera mountain aswell as every other.
    http://www.kennelgate.co.uk/shop/taste-of-the-wild

Thanks!! The bag will last months so I don't mind if it's a few €'s dearer but I'll shop around first. ;)

hi lads,just an update on taste of the wild- high prairie.
    storm just finished the bag but didnt eat it alot and she just would sniff it and ignore it and most days id take it away and give it back to her and eventually she would finish it.
    storm seemed to always eat the pacific stream straight away and seemed to like it.
    im now ordering the pacific stream again.

i ordered two bags of totw-pacific stream yesterday for 90€ which was a brilliant price.theres a few handy ways to save money on zooplus and i saved 35€ from not just ordering straight away.
    i payed 45€ a bag vs 63€.:cool:

• Advertisement

Thanks for letting us know how you got on! It's great when you find a food that suits them and your wallet lol! :)

i got the two bags on friday.great value and great food.
    iv ordered 4 bags of totw and none were affeced by the recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Aldernay

We use TOTW for our dog. We use it because it has no rice, wheat, grain etc. Just veg and meat, no fillers - dogs generally dont need fillers, grain, rice etc. We got him as a rescue nearly five years ago. He had a dodgy stomach when we got him and we tried several foods, this is the only one that works for him. He has been on it for 2 1/2 years now.

Advertisement