Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much revenue does advertising bring in?

Options
  • 11-07-2012 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

I know this is a fairly general question, but for those of you with advertising on your site, how much can revenue can one expect to generate from advertising on a site? We will be offering an online service and the advertising will be in the area of schools, children, parents and education. I believe this is a fairly good area for generating ad revenue. Initially it will be for Irish residents only.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 irishd

Not just fairly general .. gotta be the ultimate How Long is a Piece of String? question!

Based on the information you've supplied so far, I'd be pretty confident that it will fall within the range of €0 to €100,000,000 pa.

Could refine the estimate a bit, based on some additional information on your business model, target demographic, site content, design budget, marketing strategy & budget, SEO strategy & budget, social media strategy & budget, and the other 101 relevant factors that you haven't given any detail on.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Bakemate

Most helpful irishd. Thanks. Did I forget to mention I wasn't interested in sarcastic remarks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

If fairness to bake

You ask a retarded question you probably going to get a retarded answer !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

I was hardly a "retarded" question. Not particularly insightful i'd agree.

I wont even get into the issue of using that particular expression as a reply - it's possibly due to your inability to select an appropriate or less offensive adjective from your obviously limited lexicon.

Advertising will depend on you traffic, and, if your using say adsense, then what the CTR would be - so its difficult to determine. If your site is a niche one - then you might be able to attract direct advertising - but that's really down to your own efforts.

C

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

If you had a modicum of my intelligence --- no wait, rather not go there..
    The term " Don't ever argue with with an idiot on the internet, because he,ll only lower you to his standards and beat you with with experience" comes to mind.

And "IT was hardly a retarded question" not "I was hardly a retarded question"

And to keep on point the question was answered pretty much on the details he had given when were "****" limited and you jumped on your high horse like the dcik that you are !
    I mean really what more do u want ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

A typo- Shoot me.

And as we're at it - you've a few in your last post!

I am now out of here and wont reply again on this topic.

Your use of that term is, still, reprehensible and ignorant.

Ends...

• Registered Users Posts: 45 irishd

Bakemate wrote: »
    Most helpful irishd. Thanks. Did I forget to mention I wasn't interested in sarcastic remarks?

Not intended to be taken as sarcastic, more to point out it was an unanswerable question from the start, much the same as "how much money can I make by selling stuff?".

The best designed site in the world won't make a penny unless it has traffic.

And I've seen pretty crap sites turn a decent profit simply because they've managed to get good (albeit non-sticky) traffic from clever marketing & SEO, as well as managing to convince sponsors to part with hard-earned cash.

At the end of the day, its going to be down to how many unique visitors you can get to your site each day, how long they spend on the site, how often they will return, who those visitors are, what their interests are, what form of advertising or sponsorship you will be using, who your target advertisers will be, what sort of ads you will be displaying ... you get the idea.

And all of *that* depends on what your site is about, how well it is designed, what the content is, how good the content is, how often the content is updated, how it is marketed, how it is SEO'd, how big your target market is, who your competitors are, how big *their* budget is, how you use social media, ... again you get the idea.

You didn't give us even a tenth of the information required to answer the question, and even then it would still be finger in the air stuff.

Probably I should just have said "Depends!" - would that have been more helpful ?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Bakemate

If someone asks a question that seems to others with experience to be stupid or retarded, as some commenters have said, it's most likely due to inexperience and lack of information, which is exactly why I came on boards. I think if people aren't prepared to give information freely and without judgement, then they probably shouldn't be on a forum like this. Your last comment was more helpful irishd, but still...I think everyone on this thread should chill a bit and spread a little more love.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Ok, ok, everyone take a step back from the keyboard and take a few deep breaths.

OP, if you want to start a new thread on this issue, preferably with some more specifics, that would be great :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement