Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Master in Engineering - Different paths?

Options
  • 11-07-2012 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

I'm a qualified Civil Engineer with 15 years post grad exp, I would like to have a masters degree in Engineering on a more personal level rather than a work necessity. The masters course must be flexible as I work fulltime. The following options I have looked into?. The courses must be flexible or parttime evenings. If I'm being totally honest here, I really strive for a masters degree from a highly recognized establishment such as TCD.

Option 1

TCD - Masters (Recurrent education MAI) can be attained by completing 2 x postgrad diplomas followed by a thesis. The cost of each diploma varies from 4800 (project mgmt) to 6500 (law), each diploma is studied Sep to May every friday night and sat morns. There is an additional cost of circa 2500e to complete the thesis, all in we are looking at circa 14k.

Option 2

Heriot Watt University Masters in Water Engineering - wholly distance learning which can be completed over a 7 year period if so desired, total cost 990£ per module x 8 modules.Total cost circa 10k Euro

Option 3

Do nothing?

Any advice please would be great.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

The trinity engineering MSc costs less than the 14k

Its a **** course but at least you wont be totally broke after it

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭david4791

The FT course is circa 5700e, the PT course is 2700e per annum over 2 years. the route I speak of is MAI recurrent education.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 48 conor86

It cost me 8k per year in fee and other costs full time for my Honor degrees, to compare!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I am not talking about the MAI I am talking about the MSc

Advertisement