Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV warranty?

Options
  • 11-07-2012 2:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭

Hello,i bought a tv about 6 months ago from a store in Dublin but last night it stopped working.
    Today i brought it back to the store and they gave me the same model tv in exchange straight away.

My question is should i have been given another 1 year guarantee for the tv i picked up today or does the old one still be used?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

with a replacement the warranty starts anew, just make a note of all the dates etc , and keep any documents such as invoice etc .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

with a replacement the warranty starts anew, just make a note of all the dates etc , and keep any documents such as invoice etc .

thanks i will write down todays date on the previous receipt i got.

the guy at the store said the old warranty date still existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Not necessarily.
    It's up to the manufacturer to specify in their T&C's if a new warranty period begins or the original warranty is continued.

It is quite normal and reasonable than when an item is replaced under warranty and that only the original warranty remains in effect.
    markie29 wrote: »
    thanks i will write down todays date on the previous receipt i got.

the guy at the store said the old warranty date still existed.
    He may well be correct. You need to read the small print.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Not necessarily.
    It's up to the manufacturer to specify in their T&C's if a new warranty period begins or the original warranty is continued.

It is quite normal and reasonable than when an item is replaced under warranty and that only the original warranty remains in effect.

He may well be correct. You need to read the small print.
    Well i unfortunatly have been in the position of needing a replacement appliance twice in the last few years and both times i clarified that i expected the warranty to be starting from scratch again , and both times it was .

Otherwise it makes no sense , Imagine a product has a 1 year warranty , it breaks after 11months and it gets replaced, It makes no sense that the brand new replacement has only a 1 month warranty.

Im sure if you bothered with the small claims court etc they would uphold that view.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Well i unfortunatly have been in the position of needing a replacement appliance twice in the last few years and both times i clarified that i expected the warranty to be starting from scratch again , and both times it was .
    That's all very well and good, and you got good service in both instances but it is still not correct to make a blanket statement telling the OP he will get a new warranty when that may not be the case.

For example, see Sony's European Full Guarantee & Support Terms & Conditions (pdf)

If the item was replaced by the retailer at his cost (i.e. not a warranty claim) you may get a new warranty but if it was replaced due to a warranty claim you may not.
    Otherwise it makes no sense , Imagine a product has a 1 year warranty , it breaks after 11months and it gets replaced, It makes no sense that the brand new replacement has only a 1 month warranty.
    And, actually it makes perfect sense. You purchased a product which included a promise to remedy (repair/replace) certain defects for a fixed period. The replacement is simply in accordance with those terms, including the fixed end date. Often those terms don't include a promise to extend the warranty past the original period.
    Im sure if you bothered with the small claims court etc they would uphold that view.
    I'm equally sure they would say you have already paid for and benefited from 11 out of the 12 months protection you were entitled to so it would be unfair to force the manufacturer to provide an additional 12 months term which you didn't pay for.

• Advertisement

slimjimmc wrote: »
    That's all very well and good, and you got good service in both instances but it is still not correct to make a blanket statement telling the OP he will get a new warranty when that may not be the case.

For example, see Sony's European Full Guarantee & Support Terms & Conditions (pdf)

If the item was replaced by the retailer at his cost (i.e. not a warranty claim) you may get a new warranty but if it was replaced due to a warranty claim you may not.

And, actually it makes perfect sense. You purchased a product which included a promise to remedy (repair/replace) certain defects for a fixed period. The replacement is simply in accordance with those terms, including the fixed end date. Often those terms don't include a promise to extend the warranty past the original period.

I'm equally sure they would say you have already paid for and benefited from 11 out of the 12 months protection you were entitled to so it would be unfair to force the manufacturer to provide an additional 12 months term which you didn't pay for.
    I guess your right in saying it comes down to who your dealing with , and the original terms.

What i will use to backup my point here is that more and more appliances come with a serial number which with many companies you yourself must register on their website to activate the warranty. If you recieve a replacement brand new appliance then you usually have a new serial number etc to register, which will lead to a new warranty cert.

Hopefully OP you wont need it anyway fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

It makes even less sense that you get a new TV every 11 months for the rest of your life.

Have worked in a company that stated your warranty is 12 months from when you bought it, and sometimes add three months to the original warranty out of goodwill if the product was replaced near the end of the warranty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭NWPat

It realy does not matter what a retailer tells you with regard to guarantees, your statutory rights remain unchanged. Everthing you buy must be fit for purpose and last a reasonable length of time and if it doesn't you are entitled to replacement, repair or refund. If you have been given a replacement TV under a retailer or manufacturer guarantee this is also covered by your statutory rights.

the_syco wrote: »
    It makes even less sense that you get a new TV every 11 months for the rest of your life.

Have worked in a company that stated your warranty is 12 months from when you bought it, and sometimes add three months to the original warranty out of goodwill if the product was replaced near the end of the warranty.
    Why would you need a new tv every 11 months unless the product was a complete heap of **** that shouldnt of been made in the first place !!
    Why would the TV keep breaking every 11 months what you said makes no sense :D

What are the odds of needing more than 1 replacement anyway, if that was happening companies have bigger issues to be looking into. And alot of these companies do everything they can to avoid complying with your consumer rights in this country i wouldnt take their word on an issue such as this at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Why would the TV keep breaking every 11 months
    So you'd get a new TV every year.

The warranty is 12 months from when you bought the original product, and maybe some extra months added to the original warranty if you get a replacement product.

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    So you'd get a new TV every year.

The warranty is 12 months from when you bought the original product, and maybe some extra months added to the original warranty if you get a replacement product.
    Are you saying someone would break their tv every 11 months ?

Thats a totally different situation to one actually breaking through a manufactuers fault.

Anyway consumer law supercedes warranty anyway so its pointless to argue about it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

The length of the warrenty is irrelevant when the customers statutory rights usually provide much greater protection an a much greater timeframe in which to make a claim from the retailer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

Well the tv blew up again...and i am now living 80km away from the shop where i bought it.
    I am going to ask for me 280euro back but what do i do about returning the tv?...does the company pay for collection or what?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I've only ever come across Gamestop and Harvey Norman that ever started warranty again after a replacement. Its certainly not commonplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

markie29 wrote: »
    Well the tv blew up again...and i am now living 80km away from the shop where i bought it.
    I am going to ask for me 280euro back but what do i do about returning the tv?...does the company pay for collection or what?
    They are well in their rights, to offer you a repair instead.
    You have to bring it to the shop. It's not their fault, you moved awaiting. You might be lucky if it is a chain and they allow you to bring it to a nearer shop, but it's up to you to pay for it.

Advertisement