Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Galway (Claregalway)

Options
  • 11-07-2012 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi

although issues like this have been addressed in other threads, i am not fully covered from the answers i read. So bare with me and give an answer if you like.

I am moving to Galway on August, and my work will be based in Claregalway (Corporate park).

I will be the first to relocate and possibly later some other family members.

So my questions are the following :
    • Should i try to find a home to Galway city or near Claregalway ? Knonwing that traffic on peak times is a nightmare.
    • Besides money, is there anything else needed for a non Irish to rent a house ?
    • Found some houses in Gardenham, Mullaghruttery pricing from 600 - 700. Your thoughts on this.
    • I have a dog, will that make it more difficult for me to find a house ? If yes how much ?
    My thought is to find a rather big house for a person at the moment, so i wont have to relocate again, when the other family member will arrive.

Any thoughts, suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

P.S.
    Are there any Greeks living in Galway ? Just out of curiosity.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

GeorgeT wrote: »
    • Should i try to find a home to Galway city or near Claregalway ? Knonwing that traffic on peak times is a nightmare.
    • Besides money, is there anything else needed for a non Irish to rent a house ?
    • Found some houses in Gardenham, Mullaghruttery pricing from 600 - 700. Your thoughts on this.
    • I have a dog, will that make it more difficult for me to find a house ? If yes how much ?
    My thought is to find a rather big house for a person at the moment, so i wont have to relocate again, when the other family member will arrive.

Welcome to Galway and the forum. Claregalway is actually in County so I'll bounce this over to that forum.
    If I was you I'd get a house around the area of work until your family is here and you can then look to relocate when you know Galway better.

Claregalway and surrounds are cheaper than the city so 600/700 sounds good depending on the state of the house, number of rooms etc. Compare on www.daft.ie with similar houses in the same area, there is usually room for haggling too.
    Also look in the classifieds here http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/classifieds/accommodation-property

In the country dogs are generally more welcome than in the city. If you plan to leave it outside you need to make sure it won't be chasing cows/sheep or local farmers won't be happy.

You can find further info by searching boards thus: http://www.boards.ie/search/?q=claregalway&f=177&subforums=1&u=&title=1&threads=&date_from=&date_to=&sort=newest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Hi

although issues like this have been addressed in other threads, i am not fully covered from the answers i read. So bare with me and give an answer if you like.

I am moving to Galway on August, and my work will be based in Claregalway (Corporate park).

I will be the first to relocate and possibly later some other family members.

So my questions are the following :

Thanks.

P.S.

Hi George,
    I would aim to find a house near the village. its walking distance to the park!. if you aim to locate on the oranmore side of the village which is where the corporate park is, the traffic problem isn't as bad.

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1224378

this would be ideal. they'd be flexible with the rent id say if you were looking longterm

this house would be at the back of the park, but would wouldnt be walking distance to shops and services like above

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1224972

• Registered Users Posts: 20 GeorgeT

biko wrote: »
    Welcome to Galway and the forum. Claregalway is actually in County so I'll bounce this over to that forum.
    If I was you I'd get a house around the area of work until your family is here and you can then look to relocate when you know Galway better.
    Thank you biko for the welcome, and sorry for the misplaced post ;)

tred wrote: »
    Hi George,
    I would aim to find a house near the village. its walking distance to the park!. if you aim to locate on the oranmore side of the village which is where the corporate park is, the traffic problem isn't as bad.

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1224378

this would be ideal. they'd be flexible with the rent id say if you were looking longterm

this house would be at the back of the park, but would wouldnt be walking distance to shops and services like above

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1224972

Hi Tred,

thank you for your response.

The first house you mention is rather expensive...do not know how flexible...they will be...
    I am targeting very longterm stay in Galway maybe permanent.

How about this two ?

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1179252

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1211272

Do either or neither have bus connection with Claregalway ?

How much should i expect to pay monthly for heating in the winter ?

Thanks once again.

How about this two ?

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1179252

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1211272

Do either or neither have bus connection with Claregalway ?

How much should i expect to pay monthly for heating in the winter ?
    Both houses you have listed are in the countryside and don't have a bus service for workers as far as I know - you would need a car or to cycle. (it is a busy road so potentially dangerous for cycling)

Heating costs vary greatly depending on the size of the house, how old it is, how well insulated it is etc.

I would suggest looking for a room in a house in Claregalway village until you are settled and can judge what areas suit, traffic, quality, flood risk, etc

• Advertisement

Both houses you have listed are in the countryside and don't have a bus service for workers as far as I know - you would need a car or to cycle. (it is a busy road so potentially dangerous for cycling)

Heating costs vary greatly depending on the size of the house, how old it is, how well insulated it is etc.

I would suggest looking for a room in a house in Claregalway village until you are settled and can judge what areas suit, traffic, quality, flood risk, etc

Thanks for the reply.

As far as heating cost...could give a rough estimate ?

I thought of it too to find a house to a walking distance (as Tred mentioned in a previous post), although assuming contracts duration is at least 6 months, i do not want to get "stuck" to a room or house i do not like.

Although your suggestion is more reasonable....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Claregalway Corporate Park is within walking distance of the village.

But the last time I was there, there was no footpath for a good bit of the distance. So I would say it's ok to walk in daylight (when you can walk on the right hand shoulder, and leap into the bushes if necessary, but NOT at night, or in winter when the road might be icy. So it's not a walk that I would recommend.

There are no buses that go past the Corporate Park. Various buses go through the village ... but as said, I don't recommend the walk.

JustMary wrote: »
    Claregalway Corporate Park is within walking distance of the village.

But the last time I was there, there was no footpath for a good bit of the distance. So I would say it's ok to walk in daylight (when you can walk on the right hand shoulder, and leap into the bushes if necessary, but NOT at night, or in winter when the road might be icy. So it's not a walk that I would recommend.

There are no buses that go past the Corporate Park. Various buses go through the village ... but as said, I don't recommend the walk.

I've been in Claregalway for the interview, and yes unfortunately there are no buses going to corporate park. It's about a 10 min walk from where the bus leaves you, on the main road.

So i suppose besides finding a house, buying a car asap is "mandatory".

The expenses keep rising, as i ask more questions.
    Maybe i'll stop asking.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

I've been in Claregalway for the interview, and yes unfortunately there are no buses going to corporate park. It's about a 10 min walk from where the bus leaves you, on the main road.

So i suppose besides finding a house, buying a car asap is "mandatory".

The expenses keep rising, as i ask more questions.
    Maybe i'll stop asking.:D

well if you rented that house in lakeside its 1 mins from bus stop, and maybe ten minute walk from park, you wouldnt need a car at all. those other 2 houses are outside knockdoe, the claregalway address spans out near corofin so watch that. rent a room for a month or 2. rentals property near claregalway village is gone fast enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,
    I haven't read the other replies so excuse me if I'm repeating what people have said-
    • rent in/around CG should be cheap. there's a lot of estates there. finding a place shouldn't be any problem. Sli an Bhadain 4 bed detahced with office room go for about 800
    • Traffic through CG is heavy but moves I find.
    • Oranmore is a nicer location- more life, pubs, restaurants, close to Renville Park.
    • being located in CG is handy for work.
    • You could locate close to town but then would have to commute every day.
    • Do you have kids, will other 1/2 be working, does she/he drive? all relevant factors I think.

Living town is very handy but CG isn't too far out. I live in Lackagh (about 3miles past CG, nice to have a nice house and friendly estate. If you don't mind commuting I'd get a place near/in town. But as I said it depends on other 1/2, car, kids etc.

Good luck,
    Pa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭WildWater

Hi

P.S.

No idea but you could try asking these guys.

WildWater wrote: »
    No idea but you could try asking these guys.
    Thanks will check it out.

Once last question guys and i am done.

What is in your opinion a good montly salary to have an easy living in Galway ?

Nothing fancy,but not living from paycheck to paycheck?

Thanks in advance.;)

Advertisement