Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Child beauty pageants in Ireland

• 11-07-2012 2:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Just absolutely completely and utterly noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0711/breaking27.html

Child beauty pageant comes to Ireland

The owner of US University Royal Beauty Pageant, Annette Hill, has confirmed plans to bring the controversial child beauty contest to Ireland later this year.
    The Texas-based contest organisers have secured an undisclosed venue in Ireland after being previously turned down by several hotels. Speaking this morning, Ms Hill said there was a huge demand in Ireland for this sort of competition with 300 parents emailing her asking to host the pageant here.
    The pageant has its third biggest fan base in Ireland after the United States and Australia, Ms Hill told Newstalk radio station

Who are these people in the fan-base?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I'd like to hear one of those 300 parents try and justify why they would want their daughter to go through this, I can't understand it at all. Kids are kids for such a short amount of time, why force them to grow up quicker than they need to? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

I would guess its the same obscure group that listen to Irish C&W

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

crazy mothers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

ejmaztec wrote: »
    The pageant has its third biggest fan base in Ireland

obviously the third highest rate of kiddie fiddlers also then

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

As a farther of 2 young girls I can't wait until little Chardonnay & Britney are crowned champions.
    In your face ugly kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I think they've already turned Irish dancing into beauty pageants with all the garish crap they've added to it.

Those things are disgusting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Travellers?

Mothers themselves old enough to enter this?

I honestly dont think Irish people are stupid enough to be interested en masse, sounds like the organiser is putting the word out to test the water and free advertising.

davet82 wrote: »

Noted for the drooling and the sweaty palms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Pics or gt.......oh wait a second

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Something about these events has me uneasy.
    I would not be in favour of them.

Same near story - different article: http://thedailyedge.thejournal.ie/childrens-beauty-pageant-on-its-way-to-ireland-after-securing-venue-516615-Jul2012/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I was listening to Newstalk a while ago and they had a reporter out chatting to someone running a similar pagent.
    Apparently they had to keep the location of the show a secret due to protesters. They only revealed the location to the parents of the participants after they had paid the registration fee.

It's absolutely disgusting. The kids are caked in make up, fake hair, fake tan, fakenails and wear ridiculously skimpy outfits. It really upsets me that there are ANY parents in Ireland that would encourage their child to seek validation through dressing like a wh0re!

The American ones seem to be 25 stone triple-chinned mental mothers and frilly kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

'The kids are caked in make up, fake hair, fake tan, fakenails and wear ridiculously skimpy outfits'

Sounds like a night on the piss in any town in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Culleeo

This is a disgrace, it falls into the category of child cruelty/abuse as far as I'm concerned. They're only kids ffs, let them be kids

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Kids Irish Dancing competitions have become a bit creepy as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Yet another example of why some people are just too stupid to be parents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

God I sure hope it doesn't take off. The last thing we need are those type of people in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭nadey

no way its just disgusting seeing a child up on stage caked in make up tan and fake hair oh and those disgusting little skimpy out fits

sexulising young children its a peadofiles dream come true

teaching the child that all that matter is your looks its no wonder there are so many insecure teens with mothers like that at home

children should be children not dressed up like a dolly parton wannabe all they are missing is pair of fake boobs to go along with all the other fake crap they are wearing

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Lisandro

It's cynical and exploitative. At least with an adult beauty pageant, the participants know what they are getting themselves into and having a certain maturity can give a meaningful consent to be a part of the process. What we are dealing with here are kids who aren't old enough to have a developed, mature perception of themselves and are hence also vulnerable to the pressures and self-image problems that are associated with being turned into an object of physical beauty before you have even become acquainted with personal beauty, or however you want to phrase knowing that one doesn't judge other on looks.

This kind of lark should be banned. At best it's irresponsible parenting, at worst it's abuse of a child's self-image.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Its borderline child abuse is what it is, blame all those idiots who watch Toddlers and Tiaras and all that bollocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

As one of the country's most prominent paedophiles, I wholeheartedly endorse this sexy children contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Maybe, just maybe its the only time these kids will ever realistly win a beauty pagent before they turn into obese oafs when their 6 or 7 like their parents and have lost all hope in life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭LLU

Vile. Fodder for paedophiles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

WindSock wrote: »
    As one of the country's most prominent paedophiles, I wholeheartedly endorse this sexy children contest.

Made me laugh out loud!!!

• Administrators Posts: 54,111 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

These things always strike me as the parents wanting to their their own dreams through their child.

I heard on the radio this morning they interviewed one of the organisers from texas, she said something along the lines of (I paraphrase):

"We don't expect makeup on the babies or toddlers, but when you get to the girls from about 4 and up then yes we expect a bit of makeup and their hair done".

I found that quite shocking, to be honest.

Now, in my opinion, children of 4 years old (never mind babies and toddlers) should be more concerned about their barbie dolls or their toy prams than getting dolled up for some pageant because mummy or daddy think it's fun.

Kids aren't kids for very long, they are entitled to a child hood as it will be the easiest, most relaxed period in their life and one where they will start to meet other kids for friendships etc. Why take that away from them early?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

I can't help but think of Graham Green's review of Wee Willy Winkey, which got his newspaper closed down, but accurately (imo) gets down to the attraction of this sort of thing.
    The owners of a child star are like leaseholders--their property diminishes in value every year. Time's chariot is at their back; before them acres of anonymity. Miss Shirley Temple's case, though, has a peculiar interest: infancy is her disguise, her appeal is more secret and more adult. Already two years ago she was a fancy little piece (real childhood, I think, went out after The Littlest Rebel). In Captain January she wore trousers with the mature suggestiveness of a Dietrich: her neat and well-developed rump twisted in the tap-dance: her eyes had a sidelong searching coquetry. Now in Wee Willie Winkie, wearing short kilts, she is completely totsy. Watch her swaggering stride across the Indian barrack-square: hear the gasp of excited expectation from her antique audience when the sergeant's palm is raised: watch the way she measures a man with agile studio eyes, with dimpled depravity. Adult emotions of love and grief glissade across the mask of childhood, a childhood that is only skin-deep. It is clever, but it cannot last. Her admirers--middle-aged men and clergymen--respond to her dubious coquetry, to the sight of her well-shaped and desirable little body, packed with enormous vitality, only because the safety curtain of story and dialogue drops between their intelligence and their desire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

It all starts with the baby of the year competition, bonny baby, best looking baby etc.
    Parents who enter their children in these competitions will bring them along to these beauty pageants.
    It's all about parents showing of their little darlings, same little darlings who grow up thinking they are better than other kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

ElleEm wrote: »
    It's absolutely disgusting. The kids are caked in make up, fake hair, fake tan, fakenails and wear ridiculously skimpy outfits. It really upsets me that there are ANY parents in Ireland that would encourage their child to seek validation through dressing like a wh0re!

I had the misfortune to attend the Irish Dancing competition of a County Feis recently.

The kids were caked in make up, fake hair, fake tan, fakenails and wore ridiculously skimpy outfits. Talk about Children of the Corn, creeped me out something fierce.

Doubt beauty pagents could be much worse and at least presume there's prizemoney involved for the winners, not just brass medals and certificates like the Feis crowd were doling out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Who are the parents who are into this kind of thing? White trash. The same kind of parents who dress their 8 year olds up in belly tops and let them bleach their hair and wear fake tan.

The kind of women who wanted children at 14 so they had someone to dress up.

Let them at it, rather this stuff was kept indoors than parading down the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Lisandro

Plazaman wrote: »
    I had the misfortune to attend the Irish Dancing competition of a County Feis recently.

The kids were caked in make up, fake hair, fake tan, fakenails and wore ridiculously skimpy outfits. Talk about Children of the Corn, creeped me out something fierce.

Doubt beauty pagents could be much worse and at least presume there's prizemoney involved for the winners, not just brass medals and certificates like the Feis crowd were doling out.

Although an Irish dancing competition most certainly shouldn't be a glamour contest with children wearing loads of fake tan, make up, etc., the issue here is that child beauty pageants are much more pernicious because their sheer objective is the judgement of a child's physical beauty. Rather than the glamour being a side-effect, it actively takes centre-stage in beauty pageants, and the obsession with beauty these children encounter in these circumstances is very harmful for the development of their self-images and their understanding of what is important in a human. The kind of pressure they deal with and the message they get that physical appearances are important just aren't moral to expose them to. Dancing competitions with an understory of dolling-up is undesirable, a competition where the central theme is who's-the-prettiest is much more harmful.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭FishHook

I would be 100% against ine of those 'pageants' being staged here, although I think one of them was staged here before. It's borderline abuse, IMO. I hope they don't get a hotel to stage it in, but unfortunately they probably will.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

How sad that children are not allowed to be children, but are turned into toys by their parents.:rolleyes:

Just remember the Jon Benet Ramsey case in the USA a few years ago. A six-year-old who was objectised as few others have been, even by the standards of that sick country. And then brutally strangled.:(

Surely there are some things we don't need to copy from abroad.:cool:

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00820/SNF08SPDA-682_820136a.jpg

The background:

http://voices.yahoo.com/jonbenet-ramsey-murder-child-beauty-queen-107642.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Just absolutely completely and utterly noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0711/breaking27.html

isn't that obvious.

PRIESTS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Lisandro wrote: »
    Although an Irish dancing competition most certainly shouldn't be a glamour contest with children wearing loads of fake tan, make up, etc., the issue here is that child beauty pageants are much more pernicious because their sheer objective is the judgement of a child's physical beauty. Rather than the glamour being a side-effect, it actively takes centre-stage in beauty pageants, and the obsession with beauty these children encounter in these circumstances is very harmful for the development of their self-images and their understanding of what is important in a human. The kind of pressure they deal with and the message they get that physical appearances are important just aren't moral to expose them to. Dancing competitions with an understory of dolling-up is undesirable, a competition where the central theme is who's-the-prettiest is much more harmful.

Much akin to a bonny baby competition that my local agricultural show has and the disturbing thing about it its judged during the dog show the glamourous granny competition.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

'The kids are caked in make up, fake hair, fake tan, fakenails and wear ridiculously skimpy outfits'

Sounds like a night on the piss in any town in Ireland.

Which illustrates perfectly why this is so fúcking creepy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

D1stant wrote: »
    I would guess its the same obscure group that listen to Irish C&W

are they beauty queens or dancing queens? Our tweenie dancers routines do be to airy fairy SHM-type stuff. Same as our 'ard men

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Stupid people living their fantasies out through their kids, pushy parents should be publicly flogged

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

davet82 wrote: »

Why would 'kiddy fiddlers' as you put it, be interested in boys/girls dressed up as adults? Surely they would only be interested in kids who, well..look like kids. That is what they're attracted to after all.

Saying that, these competitions are sick. Whether paedophiles would be attracted to the children or not, the children are still being sexualised by their parents. And that's just wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Doesn't bear thinking about, it's just all a bit sick and creepy imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

Everything that occupies scumbags and is not connected to drugs and violence is a good thing.

And they'll wonder why their darling daughter is so fcuked up when she's older.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭checkyabadself

I don`t see any difference between the Catholic first holy communion outfits and those worn by the girls in those types of pageants. There`s more than just a few wackos who think it`s fine to dress 7 year olds as mini brides. I find it all repulsive. I shudder when I see some parents dragging their daughter around for a week after the ceremony in restaurants, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Hopefully, it's just a trap and that when the parents turn up they'll have they're children taken from them by social services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

I don't even understand the point.

I can kind of understand the ones with girls about 13-14 if there's a talent section or something.

But aren't these just "see who spends the most money on their kids" contests?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

Very costly for the crazed soccer moms or indeed dads involved,and look at the jonabennet case,could happen here,im not saying its destined to happen here,but why sexualise young children cant they wait until their teenagers and do it themselves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

The whole pratice is abhorrent. Whatever shred of innocent competition for fun where children can play dress up has long since been surpassed by, as has been said, the completely inappropriate sexualising of small children.

And they'll wonder why their darling daughter is so fcuked up when she's older.

"you're 14 britney, why aren't you getting a boob job???"

• Advertisement
Advertisement