Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Child beauty pageants in Ireland

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Salt001

Load of absolute bull. 300 parents invited her???.
    What like they have a support group now for crappy parents?.
    Or did 300 individual parents just decide to write her all at the same time ?.
    I really really hope this idea goes up in flames.I honestly thought we Irish had more sense than this. :(:(:mad:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Laneyh

D1stant wrote: »
    I would guess its the same obscure group that listen to Irish C&W

It's the same people that send their kid to the salon before making her holy communion I'd say.

Unfortunately there are plenty of vacuous parents ( mostly mothers ) who wold see nothing wrong with this at all

There is also a substantial cash prize so I guess they're more than happy to pimp the kids

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Laneyh

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Just absolutely completely and utterly noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0711/breaking27.html

Who are these people in the fan-base?:confused:

So sad.. We've just introduced guidelines for children swear to try and stop dressing kids like mini adults and then this circus rolls into town.

What a fantastic idea to instil in very young minds your value and self worth hinges entirely on your looks - that won't come back to bite them on the ass at all.

thats sicks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Plazaman wrote: »
    Doubt beauty pagents could be much worse and at least presume there's prizemoney involved for the winners, not just brass medals and certificates like the Feis crowd were doling out.
    Which in a way, makes it a lot worse. What you have in essence is parents pimping their children out for financial gain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

"Go-go juice?" "Holla for a dolla?"

WORST.
    MOTHER.
    EVER.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

And I presume the entrants beauty regimes will be paid for our of the SWA exceptional needs payments?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

"Go-go juice?" "Holla for a dolla?"

WORST.
    MOTHER.
    EVER.

Jesus! How many more children does she have hiding in her chins?!

You don't think she's living vicariously through her daughter's pageantry do do you!!? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

I don`t see any difference between the Catholic first holy communion outfits and those worn by the girls in those types of pageants. There`s more than just a few wackos who think it`s fine to dress 7 year olds as mini brides. I find it all repulsive. I shudder when I see some parents dragging their daughter around for a week after the ceremony in restaurants, etc.

While I agree there are parents who go totally over board when their daughters are celebrating their first holy communions, it is not the norm. The type of parents who do this are the same parents who would be into this child pageantry.
    Also the vast majority of parents do not attempt to sexulaise their daughter who is making their first communion.
    This thread is specific to child pageantry, first holy communion is a religious celebration and is sacred to roman catholics. For some people catholism is still a mojor part of their lives and that should be respected, there will always be a few who go overboard on these occassions.
    However with child pageantry, all children are sexualised, made wear skimpy outfits (in some cases dress like prostitutes) the focus on looks and attractivness are at the very heart of child pageantry. Children are forced to become objects of atractivness and play up to a dumb persona. Their parents are incredibly pushy and I would also suggest perhaps not mentally stable as such.
    Children are being objectified for adult pleasure, it is to an extent child abuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I was in a hotel in the US that was holding a pageant. It is basically a money making scam. Dress sellers, photographers and trainers all offering services.
    I spoke to some of the people working and they were going on about how they charge 4 times as much at the shows as anywhere else. Agents for modelling agencies were there. Surprisingly the can get you work but you need a new photo book with their photographer but you get a discount.
    Parents are exploited for being thick. Unfortunately the kids suffer.
    Really wonder what the kids grow up to be like?

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭FinnLizzy

I know it was briefly mentioned before, but I know that if something like this does come to Ireland, it'll be a big hit in the Travelling Community.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Fleadhs and Feis arent a million miles away from this with the moronic wigs, fake tans and full make up. I help out in a theatre which hosted one of these a few years ago and they have vowed never to do so again. The mothers of the kids were frightening. We witnessed one mum force her wee girl to drink a can of Red Bull minutes before she danced. Travellers and Stage/Feis Mothers will flock to these abominations

blacklilly wrote: »
    While I agree there are parents who go totally over board when their daughters are celebrating their first holy communions, it is not the norm. The type of parents who do this are the same parents who would be into this child pageantry.
    Also the vast majority of parents do not attempt to sexulaise their daughter who is making their first communion.
    This thread is specific to child pageantry, first holy communion is a religious celebration and is sacred to roman catholics. For some people catholism is still a mojor part of their lives and that should be respected, there will always be a few who go overboard on these occassions.
    However with child pageantry, all children are sexualised, made wear skimpy outfits (in some cases dress like prostitutes) the focus on looks and attractivness are at the very heart of child pageantry. Children are forced to become objects of atractivness and play up to a dumb persona. Their parents are incredibly pushy and I would also suggest perhaps not mentally stable as such.
    Children are being objectified for adult pleasure, it is to an extent child abuse.
    Why is that then?
    One should be respected as it is religious whilst the other should not as it is not religious.. really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Probably only people with ugly kids objecting to it.

If you can make a bit of money from your kids, why not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

stovelid wrote: »

Said like a true peado ring leader!

If money could be made from trolling you would have roughly 2c by now.

Its simple. Im a parent, I know better and your comment is stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Im a parent, I know better.

Don't they all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Don't they all.

Only orphans are allowed attend pageants.

Don't they all.
    I wouldnt presume so. Im simply talking about me.

Oh and your trolling hasnt improved.

• Advertisement

ah no, you could bring the ugly kids and see if you can switch them

or apply the orange paint liberally

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

does anyone know what hotel is hosting it?
    i ask because i work in a hotel and i really hope it's not mine.
    i know with a username like mine you would think i am all for it but I truly find it disgusting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

FatherLen wrote: »
    does anyone know what hotel is hosting it?
    i ask because i work in a hotel and i really hope it's not mine.
    i know with a username like mine you would think i am all for it but I truly find it disgusting.

Are you a hotel chaplain?:confused:

Here's one place it's not going to be held :D

http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/

INEC rules out hosting American style children's beauty pageants

A Killarney entertainment venue has ruled out hosting American style children's beauty pageants. Yesterday, it emerged that the INEC, Killarney was approached by a company in Nashville enquiring about available dates for such a pageant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

Why is that then?
    One should be respected as it is religious whilst the other should not as it is not religious.. really?

I don't understand your comment tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Are you a hotel chaplain?:confused:

no, a barman.

what hotel has a chaplain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

So who wants to dress as pedo bear and hang around the hotel until they get arrested? It'll be hilarious...

FatherLen wrote: »
    no, a barman.

what hotel has a chaplain?

I thought yours did, Father.:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

D1stant wrote: »
    I would guess its the same obscure group that listen to Irish C&W
    Why would you guess that? Tell us more.

smash wrote: »
    So who wants to dress as pedo bear and hang around the hotel until they get arrested? It'll be hilarious...

We could have a pedo-bear pageant in the same place on the same day, that would probably put an end to child beauty pageants in Ireland for good.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

Watch this - enough said!!! :eek::eek::eek:

http://youtu.be/ABzMAuI1vj0

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭retroactive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

If the child is a baby and the family is broke, fine, at least it's money that the child will benefit from. It's understandable. But for older kids parents are instilling values that should die out with their generation. Yea sure, vanity is accepted and glorified in our culture but given the chance some of these kiddies might grow up to challenge that.

Why aspire to be any kind of stereotype or wish that on your kids? Even little girls playing Mammy with dolls in prams or running around in princess outfits freak the **** out of me. I know it's accepted as the norm but should it be? And this is even a step back from that. In the 21st century we should be going in the opposite direction in my opinion.

Let kids be kids!

Advertisement