Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets All Pray!

Options
  • 11-07-2012 3:01pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/bishop-asks-his-flock-to-pray-that-the-summer-deluge-will-stop-3166286.html
    Ferns Bishop Denis Brennan made the plea this week a day after the cancellation of the county's biggest agricultural show, the Bannow Rathangan Show in Duncormick due to the waterlogged surface, stating that prayers will be offered in Parishes across Co. Wexford this weekend and reproduced in Newsletters / Parish Websites / Facebook Pages for an end to the rain which has made the summer 2012 one of the most depressing in living memory.

Now the reason I gave it a 'theory' prefix is so that we can evaluate the results of these prayers which will largely take effect starting on Saturday...conveniently the mid month.

If the bishop is shown to have an effect in the July H2 period then he will have outdone Piers Corbyn and Joe whatsisface...meaning some people around here will ask him to pray for snow at christmas no doubt. :)

More prayers may appear on the Diocesan Website if this one does not work! Make sure you link it and keep yourself up to date. No need to confine the power of prayer to the south east corner of Ireland either, the weather is crap all over. :(

The Wexford Good Weather Prayer!!!!
    “All-powerful and ever-living God, we find security in your care and love for us. Give us the fine weather we pray for and need. May the harvest be secured and the hard work and efforts of so many of our people come to fruition. We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, forever and ever. Amen.”

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Oh and a small donation to the church box might help speed things along too! :rolleyes:

The problem is that things probably will get better and they will claim it was down to the prayers! Probably one clever member there looking at the long range and seeing this a way of bringing the church back to the people and ultimately the people back to the church! Hey, the rains have stopped, praise da Lawd!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

It appears that in the past 18 months the weather gods have decreed that summer will be winter and winter will be summer in the case of of our wee Island.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Lets hope all this praying to God upsets Thor and he sends a load of thunderstorms our way...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

One minute they tell us it's all God's plan, and the next minute they are praying for something or other. But, as the late great George Carlin pointed out: "What's the point of having a divine plan if every run-down schmuck with a two-dollar prayer book can come along and fuck up your plan?:rolleyes:

Anyway, does the Wexford prayer include the rain belts shifting to somewhere else and deluging the people there? And what if they pray, too? Or is it a different god in their part of the world?:confused:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Of all the sh*t that's going on in this world, he asks for his congregation to pray for better weather in Wexford? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

As a person who goes to mass weekly, I can say that loads of things are prayed for like when some disaster happens - the victims and their families are prayed for, the sick aand those bereaved are prayed for, prayers do be said for better weather, prayers for people at exam time and so on.

Prayers are not guaranteed to be answered, but prayers not answered do not mean prayer is not useful, people praying together is bringing people together, some would rather we ignore our spiritual sides and for some that spiritual side is a connection to a God.

It is sad if the weather forum and this topic is turned into something used to bash religion.
    The weather forum is based in the science section of the forum, praying to a God hoping for better weather is simply that. One can pray for the correct euromillions numbers, it doesn't mean one will win it by doing so, that is not how prayer works, the same with the weather.
    Praying is based on faith, not science, and lets face it, we will take anything right now for some better weather, just a pity some will look down their noses at praying, when they have nothing to offer but negativity like the way the weather has been.

This is the science section, not religion section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Woah just seen this thread. No disrespect to you Sponge bob but I'm closing this. I think we'll let the people pray without comment in here. Religion takes a prime seat in many peoples homes and I don't want it being bashed , dissed in the weather forum. I know the article refers to weather but I don't see it fit for here.
    Thank you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement