Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will Obamamania Sweep The Nation Like It Did Back In 08'??

• 11-07-2012 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭

Obama is back this year, yep.

We can all remember the American election last time, how everyone was mesmerized by Obama's amazing speeches. "Yes we can" "Change u can believe in" etc.

Thousands of people had tears in their eyes when he won here in Ireland, he is afterall still a massively popular guy in this country, especially at my univerisity and amongst students, people were crying when he won. As popular IMO as Mandela, Gandhi, Martin Luther King in terms of world figures probably. Even bigger perhaps.

Remember his best-selling books around christmas 08'? Literally everywhere. The RTE, the BBC over here et al were predicting him to be potentially one of the greatest presidents of all time at his inauguration. He was simply "amazing".

Now he comes back again, with the bbc following all over again, watching this historic event that is Barack Obama and "Obamamania", delivering once again his "mesmorizing speeches".

Remember lets not forget he's a Nobel Peace Prize winner as well, only decided 11 days into his presidency too demonstrating how ludicrously popular he was back then.

Forgot the wimbledon, euro 2012, the olympics, the all ireland final etc, do you think Obamamania could be the biggest story of all stories yet again in this country in 2012?? Will this country be in tears again whipping it into a state of eurphoria all over again?? :pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

Who cares

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

tbf I think he's only that famous because he is the first "black" president.
    2nd time round won't be as big a thing

Now if a "woman" became president you'd have all the women crying

e
    t
    c

e
    t
    c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Ireland isn't part of America so how the fook should we know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

The game is up. Even if he wins everyone now knows that he is just a good actor ala Tony Blair, perhaps with a little less IQ and resolve

Obama left a lot of people down and the shamless arse licking when he visited here was appalling

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Nah. He needs to black himself up a bit more I reckon and start speaking ebonics to keep it fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Lord of the Bongs

Id prefer if Obamamania was a great wrestling event were the leaders of the world settle their economic differences ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

The whole pint of Guinness thing with him in the pub was so embarrassing :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

were was I in 08. All I remember is the joke about SP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Id prefer if Obamamania was a great wrestling event were the leaders of the world settle their economic differences ;)

Ah! so thats why Merkel was elected ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭techsavysista

Nah I don't think so. Great campaign first time round but I think this time, due to it not being 'the new thing' not as many people will care. Also, it has been long enough that people realise now that it doesn't actually effect us here. Giz a black Irish president elect and that'll be the real test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Worst black president ever

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭techsavysista

D1stant wrote: »
    The game is up. Even if he wins everyone now knows that he is just a good actor ala Tony Blair, perhaps with a little less IQ and resolve

Obama left a lot of people down and the shamless arse licking when he visited here was appalling

Ah wouldn't cal it arse licking, with the support he had in Ireland how else would you expect him to react?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Well, there'll likely be a better response than if Romney were to win. Which he will not. Because he's Mormon.

People might think that I'm being mean or some crap, but seriously, Mormonism goes heavily against his odds for being elected. He'd have to be an (openly) atheist to be less likely to be elected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

He's not getting my vote this time around!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭The Sky

He became president because he is black..used the race card very well xD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Meh. I said it before he was elected I'll say it now. Big whoopee. Anything really memorable about his presidency? The Nobel prize made a mockery of the whole process IMO. He's a typical politician just like all the rest. Smiles and handshakes and your new best buddy until he moves on to the next. Insincere, but a polished public persona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

The Sky wrote: »
    He became president because he is black..used the race card very well xD
    No, and anyone who thinks this isn't exactly taking a proper measure of what was going on with the election. He won on some fantastic slogans. People were sick of Bush and anything that gave the impression of something different to what was going on was what they wanted. He could have said "I'm going to do the opposite of Bush" and that would have been enough. He had a very successful advertising campaign. To say it was about him being black is so overly simplistic that it makes perfect sense it would be so commonly trotted out.

Edit: I know that your post is tongue in cheek, but there are lots who hold this opinion seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Thought Morgan Freeman was better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Romney is destroying him every month in terms of fundraising so no, it won't be back and he could struggle to win a second term. If Romney goes for somebody like Chris Christie for VP, it'll galvanise the typical Republican voters even further and that could be well that for Obama.

On the other hand Mark Rubio as a VP pick could turn the heads of Obama's Hispanic voters - either way, Romney's appeal could rocket from an already healthy position. Romney's Mormonism won't be a dealbreaker for 99% of voters because any Democrat that brings it up will look like a bigot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I recon he will pull a fast one just before the elections to get himself back in.

He's certainly working on it.

This is perhaps about the only change we will see. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

No. Most people who voted for him in 08 are now jaded by him, and realise he was a very good political salesman - nothing more.

Because Romney is another puppet who has no defined set of beliefs himself, means Obama will get re-elected, not out of great enthusiasm by the public.

It's probably caused half a generation or so to realise that idealism and politics don't mix so his presidency has been a good thing. There'll be no "mania" but unless he really ****s up he'll be re-elected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Thought Morgan Freeman was better.
    Wrong, both of you.

Best black president: David Palmer
    Worst black president: Wayne Palmer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

It won't be the same, but I think he'll be easily enough re-elected vs Mittens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Well, there'll likely be a better response than if Romney were to win. Which he will not. Because he's Mormon.

People might think that I'm being mean or some crap, but seriously, Mormonism goes heavily against his odds for being elected. He'd have to be an (openly) atheist to be less likely to be elected.
    I see what you're saying but I don't think overall it will have much impact. JFK had similar prejudices against him being Roman Catholic and he got elected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

The main problem with Obama was the team he surrounded himself with. Every other president had about 40% of their team consisting of respected and successful business men, whereas Obama's team has maybe 10%.

Granted, its not the only reason, but its a big one. You can only do so much yourself and unfortunately Obama didn't do himself any favours with the people he chose to be at his side.

The big money is behind Romney for the next election already and tbh, I can see only one winner despite the mormon tag associated with him. Personally, I'd far prefer to see Obama back in office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I recon he will pull a fast one just before the elections to get himself back in.

He's certainly working on it.

This is perhaps about the only change we will see. :)

Do you really have to post propaganda everywhere? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

What game? What exactly was expected? That he would wave a wand and it would just improve? He's done alright and achieved a lot, albeit I'd say less than he would have hoped. Much better than Bush. Not that that would be difficult. Romney would just set the country back again.

token101 wrote: »
    What exactly was expected? That he would wave a wand and it would just improve?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭cristoir

I have been rather satisfied with his presidency. Major Healthcare Reform, saved the auto-industry, ended homophobic discrimination in the military and has been actually reasonably successful in foreign policy (well when compared to others anyway).

Some people expected far too much and it can be argued they where misled by an over enthusiastic campaign. He has done quite a lot although he hasn't tackled spending and the deficit. I guess it's hard when there are so many vested interests who want their section ring-fenced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

I must have missed the speech where he pledged free petrol and promised to pay everyone's mortgage :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

No, I don't think so. But anyone who thinks that there's nothing big about his presidency is wrong. He's the first African American to ever be elected president in a country that not so long ago didn't even allow black people the vote. That's a big deal, regardless of what he's done in his presidency afterwards. Complain all you like about America and American voters, but it'll be a long time before we see anything like that happening in Europe.

As regards to his second term, from what I can gather here in the US, he'll probably win it. He's quite a bit ahead in the polls at the moment. Obama is holding onto his support despite the divisive health care bill and a weak economy. Romney's business background has been used as the centrepiece for his entire campaign, and it has recently been called into question so a number of states have swung against him. He has been especially damaged by advertising campaigns that are portraying him as an elite businessman who earned millions, leaving his employees with nothing. Not only is Obama more favoured in terms of policy, but his character has been found to be considered more favourable - he's been regarded as more honest, trustworthy and empathetic than Romney. The problem is the Republican party are just too divided at the moment. I think Obama will win simply because the Republicans have very little to offer against him, but I don't expect it'll be as big a deal as it was first time round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DarkDusk

No because he proved to be useless, like most politicians.

• Advertisement

token101 wrote: »
    I must have missed the speech where he pledged free petrol and promised to pay everyone's mortgage :pac:

You asked what was expected. I felt something of a smugness when around his supporters in this country who took an interest in politics for the first time about 4 years ago and it wasn't misplaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

No, he will win though as too many Americans won't want to vote for Romney due to his faith. Mormon is too strange a religion for most. Also his wealth will put many off him. Obama will win by 60:40. I would like to see Ron Paul run as an independent, he wouldn't win but it would throw a spanner in the works for both Obama and Romney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Will Obamamania Sweep The Nation Like It Did Back In 08'??

No, because people I think can now see past the bullshít.

"Yes we can."

Can what exactly? The muppet couldn't even close down Guantanamo Bay. That said, he is probably the lesser of two evils at the moment. But Mitt big business Romney, looks like he's dripping in funds to buy the White House. The Hispanic vote will be the key.

He's the first African American to ever be elected president in a country that not so long ago didn't even allow black people the vote.

There was a time women didn't have the vote, but does Thatcher, Merkel and many more in Europe ring a bell?
    Complain all you like about America and American voters, but it'll be a long time before we see anything like that happening in Europe..

You mean like the openly gay atheist child of immigrants as Prime Minister of Belgium (Elio Rupo)? A married lesbian Prime Minister in Iceland. Transgender MP's in a number of European countries..

I think it'll be a long time before we see anything like that happening in America...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

The Americans do what they always seem to do and give the other party a majority in the congress 2 years after a presidential election, to balance things out and keep the other side in check. This was fine when you always had 2 sane centrist parties with leanings slightly to the left and slightly to the right. A republican majority congress would reign in the more leftist policies of a democratic president and conversely, a democratic congress would reign in the more right wing policies of a Republican president.

The problem is you have the racist tea party and christian right effectively taking over the republican party combined with a black democratic president. The americans do what they always do and give the opposition, the republicns in this case a majority in congress, who embark on mis-information, lies, insane ranting and willful policy obstructionism, and personal dis-respect to the president on a personal level, never before seen in history. If Obamas for it, we're against it. If we suggest an idea, Obama compromises for us and accepts it, we now reject our own idea !! Doesn't matter whats best for the country, doesn't matter if it harms the country for us to block everything Obama tries to do, in fact all the better, the people will kick him out cause he's getting nothing done. They'll vote us in even though it was us who stopped him getting anything done.

Its just staggering to watch. I don't blame Obama one bit. He faces the worst most obstructionist, most insane, most racist republican congress in history

Its a miracle some Christian right wing loony hasn't tried to off him yet.

Speaking of which certain people posting in this thread, think Obama is the literal Anti-Christ as do a significant percentage of republicans. this is the crazyness obama has to deal with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

prinz wrote: »
    You mean like the openly gay atheist child of immigrants as Prime Minister of Belgium (Elio Rupo)? A married lesbian Prime Minister in Iceland. Transgender MP's in a number of European countries..

I think it'll be a long time before we see anything like that happening in America...

Gotta concur with you on that. I think it was far more impressive due to the fact that you'll get far greater amounts of conservatism in America in contrast to Europe. It was a small step but it was rather interesting because the 2 most likely candidates for the democrats was a black man and a woman. Still not groundbreaking in international terms but domestically for them it was a big deal. That the entire world latched on to. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Does anyone remember the funny news story from 08 where a branch of The KKK supported Obama's nomination for the Democratic candidacy? Their views on race seem to take a back seat when it comes to a woman potentially running for head office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Looks like it will go to the wire, either way the vote difference will be very small, unless something major happens between now and then. He didn't win by a landslide in 2008 though and that was against McCain and Palin, though some people believe he did. The swing voters will decide the outcome. As disappointed as I have been in his results, in 2010 the American public shot themselves in the foot by giving the Republicans the House which meant anything Obama tried to pass was rejected or had to be substantially watered down. As much as a large portion hate Romney as he is seen as a flipflopper, a Mormon and boring, they will never vote for a black man who is percieved to be trying to take their guns, turn the country gay, soft on terrorism and run big business (though it could be argued he is totally the opposite of these points). Obama has been doing better in recent months when he finally realised he couldn't keep trying to appease the GOP, I will go on a limb and say if he gets a second term it will be much more positive. Until the climate change denying, war mongering, religious fundimentalist tea party loons get out of the GOP, I can't see why any sane person would vote for them, unless they support their special interest (oil companies, abortion clinic bombers, gay bashers etc).

FrostyJack wrote: »
    I can't see why any sane person would vote for them, unless they support their special interest (oil companies, abortion clinic bombers, gay bashers etc).

LOL. Everything that's wrong with American politics all wrapped up right there. The irony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

No, I don't think so. But anyone who thinks that there's nothing big about his presidency is wrong. He's the first African American to ever be elected president in a country that not so long ago didn't even allow black people the vote. That's a big deal, regardless of what he's done in his presidency afterwards. Complain all you like about America and American voters, but it'll be a long time before we see anything like that happening in Europe.
    Women haven't always been allowed vote but we've had a couple of them as President here in Ireland, which is in Europe I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

There was a time women didn't have the vote, but does Thatcher, Merkel and many more in Europe ring a bell?

I'm talking about having a black person as president. Ain't gonna happen in Europe in the foreseeable future, and racial tensions between in the US have been far more contentious over the years than in Europe. They've made a lot of strides on that front. The fact that there was a black man and a woman running against each other for arguably the most powerful position in the world is a big deal, and it's symbolic that Obama won it. It was only the 1960s when Martin Luther King was assassinated, and only a few decades later a black man is president. We love to think we're so much more progressive in Europe, but there isn't that much difference between America and Europe on that front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭dttq

I feel a little bit betrayed by Obama, thought he would be more liberal, as well as devoted to ending America's wars in the Middle East. Still though, I hope he gets a second term considering the nutcases in opposition, often tied to the likes of the religious right and the tea party.

I'm talking about having a black person as president. Ain't gonna happen in Europe in the foreseeable future.....

Might have something to do with about one in eight Americans being black rather than some racist hangover. How many native Americans have been president?

Might have something to do with about one in eight Americans being black rather than some racist hangover. How many native Americans have been president?

Or Hispanic/Latino/whatever they're called now, there's more of them than there are black people, why have none of them ever been president?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

That was a cringeworthy day my pal rushed in to town with his mam to celebrate Obama, in a college preppy jacket. Like he'd just stepped off the set of american graffiti fúckin wrote him off after that.. i'm sure he can 'relate' to Obama more than me anyhow.

• Advertisement
Advertisement