Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Racism in Ireland

• 11-07-2012 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Do you think that because of the recession employers are more likely to hire white Irish people?

I have seen far too many times, people less qualified than me getting positions I probably shouls have gotten.

Is Ireland racist?

(Just go through the streets of Dublin city centre or marketing offices, there is a very very small number of black/asian people working there? Couldn't just be a coincidence?)

What are your thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

troll-oll-oll-oll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Do you think that because of the recession employers are more likely to hire white Irish people?

I have seen far too many times, people less qualified than me getting positions I probably shouls have gotten.

Is Ireland racist?

(Just go through the streets of Dublin city centre or marketing offices, there is a very very small number of black/asian people working there? Couldn't just be a coincidence?)

What are your thoughts?
    Yes, because you can't get a job. The entire country is racist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Bosses in Ireland just hate people that are better then them.
    Well thats what I tell myself so I don't feel bad when I fail Job interview
    So Op hold on to your excuse

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭emul8ter25

summerskin wrote: »
    troll-oll-oll-oll

Dont be so quick to dismiss his point.

Of course racism exists, and I am sure this is happening to some degree.

You would be silly to think otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Country with a massive majority of white people and minorities of "black" & "asian" people has mostly white people working in offices with "black" & "asian" workers being in the minority!

RACISTS!!!!!!!!

Great logoc OP!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

How do you know the qualifications of the other applicants? You wouldn't be pre judging people would you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Are you black OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Dublin is not the rest of Ireland OP.

Jester252 wrote: »
    No
    Bosses in Ireland just hate people that are better then them.
    Well thats what I tell myself

Have your C.V. proof read by someone, perhaps a professional, and then try applying again. Grammar makes a difference when applying for jobs.

Have your C.V. proof read by someone, perhaps a professional, and then try applying again. Grammar makes a difference when applying for jobs.

Only if you're not white!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

maybe irish people should have a slight advantage in getting the job anyway since its where they are from, but only if their experience, qualifications etc are as good

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Only if you're not white!

I can't see what colour they are when reading a C.V.

True!

In this case we should just start reading the "Nationality" part and not consider anyone who isn't Irish! It's the only way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

Is Ireland racist?

What are your thoughts?

most immigrant workers in most countrys generally work as labour, skilled trades, or other non skilled areas.

Same with the irish in australia mostly.. big deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

If you believe you have a case there are options open to you for pursuing a case against a potential employer for discriminatory hiring practises.

Or, you could come on to AH and post some vague nonsense about having been round dublin and completed some sort of ethnicity headcount measured against the amount of non-white eligible candidates.

For what it's worth, most IT offices I have worked in have a larger % of non-white/non-irish due to shortages of available local staff.

I think your opinions are misinformed.

True!

In this case we should just start reading the "Nationality" part and not consider anyone who isn't Irish! It's the only way!

I hire people wherever they are from. Ethnicity/nationality isn't something that should come into the mind of an employer, only ability and aptitude.

I hire people wherever they are from. Ethnicity/nationality isn't something that should come into the mind of an employer, only ability and aptitude.

So wait........ you're saying you AREN'T racist?

Whoa whoa! But........ why not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Party Supply Van

.....and a sniper starts to circle....

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭AlfaZen

In the current economic climate I'm sure employers are looking to get the most qualified person at the lowest cost to them.

I would however concede that nepotism is alive and well in Ireland. Always has been and always will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Who cares bout racism
    Your sayin white Irish are racist
    Sure Blacks are the worst for it
    If someone called an Irish person a spud peeling nacker I'd say and what's your point is just laugh at him
    Call a black person somethin as small as an idiot or a tick they near get the papers involved screaming racist
    I know cu I've been there
    Happened to me in school

• Advertisement

So wait........ you're saying you AREN'T racist?

Whoa whoa! But........ why not?

When did I ever say i WAS racist?

What I find amazing is how you can have a forum like this where there are Irish people saying they can't get jobs due to non-Irish people getting them......

and then you have non-Irish people saying they can't get jobs because Irish people are getting them!

So either EVERYBODY has a job or NOBODY has a job! Which is it?

When did I ever say i WAS racist?

I was being sarcastic the whole time. it obviously didn't come across too well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

ffs isn't it obvious? everybody that has a job is racist to those that dont have a job :rolleyes:

Who cares bout racism

Hmmm.... go on!

I'm sure you're about to prove this wrong..........

Whoops!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭techsavysista

See I'm not sure if I believe it myself. But a lot of my friends have been complaining so I put it up.

In relation to my graduating class there has been many cases where the wrong person got the job.

But obviously, we are in the middle of some hard times and its hard to find a job for everyone. So maybe they too are doing what one post said above about reassuring themselves after being rejected?

Maybe I'll put "Nationality. Irish" on my cv (true) and shut these guys up!

And Jeez, you don't have to get so wound up, light conversation....

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭dejopadu

ireland is in recession, hundreds of irish people emigrating every week, OF COURSE COMPANIES SHOULD HIRE IRISH BEFORE FOREIGNERS !!

not to sound 'racist' but i am Irish, i am not in ireland just to earn money or
    learn english or travel - i live here, i want to stay living here, its my home.

davet82 wrote: »
    ffs isn't it obvious? everybody that has a job is racist to those that dont have a job :rolleyes:

Jobist?

Who cares bout racism
    If someone called an Irish person a spud peeling nacker I'd say and what's your point is just laugh at him
    Call a black person somethin as small as an idiot or a tick they near get the papers involved screaming racist
    I know cu I've been there
    Happened to me in school

Ah jaysus...
    Didn't say that, it was a question. Conversation starter. You can't sweep everyone with the same brush. Chill.

• Advertisement

You can't sweep everyone with the same brush. Chill.
    Is Ireland racist?

You need to work on your sweeping OP!

I am pie wrote: »
    If you believe you have a case there are options open to you for pursuing a case against a potential employer for discriminatory hiring practises.

Or, you could come on to AH and post some vague nonsense about having been round dublin and completed some sort of ethnicity headcount measured against the amount of non-white eligible candidates.

For what it's worth, most IT offices I have worked in have a larger % of non-white/non-irish due to shortages of available local staff.

I think your opinions are misinformed.

But don't you think there should be some sort of case study done so that noone can say so and so is misinformed and allegations of racism arent't untrue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Who cares bout racism

Hmmm.... go on!

I'm sure you're about to prove this wrong..........

Whoops!
    And you care why?
    I am a racist but instantly everyone thinks if your racist you hate everyone that's not white
    No it's not that's the problem with this country
    I hate certain a race of people
    Actually two

And don't be givin me this **** sayin whoops cuz I said blacks are the worst for it cuz they are and all Irish kno it!!!!!

Sometimes I'd be ashamed to call myself Irish that this country has turned into cowards and would rather protect the foreigners than their own irish

What I find amazing is how you can have a forum like this where there are Irish people saying they can't get jobs due to non-Irish people getting them......

and then you have non-Irish people saying they can't get jobs because Irish people are getting them!

Great point! Except I am Irish, so maybe I can fit into both categories? :p

Maybe eveyone is just looking for someone else to blame?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I'd have thought that in straitened times employers would be less likely to hire anyone, and when they did it would be those they could get at lowest cost, with due regard to the person's suitability. Some of them may remember the Celtic Tiger era long ago, when a lot of Irish people turned up their noses at the jobs they were being offered, but Poles or Lithuanians took them and turned out to be good workers.:rolleyes:
    I have seen far too many times, people less qualified than me getting positions I probably should have gotten.

Me, too, but that's only my view. I suppose the same goes for you.;)
    Is Ireland racist?

You cannot say that a country is racist unless racism is enshrined in its constitution and laws. The opposite applies to Ireland. Unfortunately, some Irish people are racist, as are some everywhere in the world. But fortunately our laws and the majority of decent-minded people prevent them from doing any serious harm and at the end of the day the racists and xenophobes just come across as the kind of begrudging, ignorant skanger cnuts no normal person would want to be.:)

Have you any figures to back that up?:confused:
    What are your thoughts?

Meh!:D:D

And you care why?
    I am a racist but instantly everyone thinks if your racist you hate everyone that's not white

No but it generally means you're an idiot!
    And don't be givin me this **** sayin whoops cuz I said blacks are the worst for it cuz they are and all Irish kno it!!!!!

I'm Irish. Don't think you can speak for the entire country because you can't.
    Sometimes I'd be ashamed to call myself Irish that this country has turned into cowards and would rather protect the foreigners than their own irish

I'd ask you "What do you mean by protect?" but I really don't care what your opinion is!

• Advertisement

You can't sweep everyone with the same brush. Chill.
    Is Ireland racist?

You need to work on your sweeping OP!

I didn't say it was. It's nort an unfair question to ask. These are questions we need to ask more often to insure that we're going the right way as a country.

Again, chill

I didn't say it was. It's nort an unfair question to ask. These are questions we need to ask more often to insure that we're going the right way as a country.

Again, chill

I'm chilled.

You asked was Ireland racist. It's not an answerable question.

if you'd asked "Does racism exist in Ireland?" the answer would be yes.

But what is it that you wanted to know? Are irish people in general more racist than others? Less than others? Are all Irish people racist? Do the majority of Irish employers only hire Irish people? DO they take it into account?

Just asking "Is Irish racist?" did your discussion no favours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

See I'm not sure if I believe it myself. But a lot of my friends have been complaining so I put it up.

In relation to my graduating class there has been many cases where the wrong person got the job.

Why where they the wrong person?

Hint - grades don't count at an interview. Personality & enthusiasm and ability to display an understanding of the role go a lot further than grades.

I would respectfully suggest that your opinion that the wrong people have been hired is tainted with a little bit of bitterness. Either on your part, or on the part of your classmates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Balls to this.

Like all the other threads in here on this subject, it won't end well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement