Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you do for your pets in public that make you look crazy

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭Kali_Kalika

A few weeks ago I was out and about running errands and had my girl Kali with me, we'd been running errands most of the day at that point and I needed to run into a shop and pick up some basics. As I drove the car into the car park I got "the look" from the back seat .... the "you are kidding, I'm not waiting AGAIN" ... so as I got out of the car living in my own little bubble, I leaned back in and said to reassure her "Ah I know sweetie, this is the last stop Mummy promises, then we'll go home and play with your toys and your brother (the cat)." - and I step away and start to close the car door .... when I notice a woman who was getting into her car a few spaces away had completely and utterly stopped and had frozen, half into her car, mouth wide open. It took a few seconds of seeing her stare before I started putting 2 + 2 together in my head ..... she thought I was talking to a child!!!! Leaving them alone in the car with a mere brush off explanation! As I stepped away from the car the long brown snout of Kali comes through the open window I'd left for her as I ran into the shop - the woman turned several shades of purple and red, quickly got into her car and left rapidly. Not sure who was more embarassed me or her!

And yet, you'd think that event would discourage me from talking to my dog like that in public .... not a chance :D I've since disturbed people at subway who actually questioned me leaving a child in the car ..... until the infamous brown snout works its way out the window :D The red faces don't really have a lot to say after that! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Lexicographer

My dog (only a pup I got when my cheating husband left) is going blind, didn't know it when I got him. He is lovely, vet said to get him used to different sounds now especially buggies and cyclists, so now when i see a buggy or cyclist I say hello bike or hello buggy, so pup (he's only six months) recognises it. Didn't realise how odd it was (cos upset about dog) till cyclist laughed out loud at me!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭callmekenneth

one time my dog (RIP) had been eating grass and we were out walking when he decided to do a poo but it had grass in it so it just sort of hung out of his bum, we were both very embarassed and neither of us enjoyed me pulling the poo out of his bum. by the grace of god i dont think anyone saw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Rani likes to continue her walk while she's having a poo so there I am, bent over, bag on hand following a squatting, waddling dog down the street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Pick up his poo in a bag & hold onto it until we find a bin. It's amazing how people look at me doing this with disgust written all over their faces. The same people would have anger written all over their faces if I walked away & left a steaming pile on the footpath. Can't win them all I suppose :)

My guy also has issues with large engine vehicles or anything that makes noise & moves. I honestly wish he would act nervous around them & shy away. Instead he sumersaults, yelps like he's being murdered & generally acts the maggot.

Then there's the times I forget myself & start talking to him.

And if I happen to notice sleep in his eyes I'll wipe it away with a tissue.

Basically the dog is treated better than most children :)

I identify with this, its like they are supposed to spit it out or something. It's not like they have toilets like us (though I did manage to literally toilet train a cat once) - I always had to flush though :rolleyes:

I remember one time this woman gave me daggers because my dog peed on the street while I was queueing for an ATM. Bear in mind this was camden street so it was already full of gross stinky boy pee from the night before anyway. I felt like saying, "Wait! don't panic! I'll grab the power hose, you grab the ajax!" :D

• Advertisement

one time my dog (RIP) had been eating grass and we were out walking when he decided to do a poo but it had grass in it so it just sort of hung out of his bum, we were both very embarassed and neither of us enjoyed me pulling the poo out of his bum. by the grace of god i dont think anyone saw

this happened to a cat of a friend of mine who had consumed a piece of ribbon. The sh1t basically hung out of the cat while she ran around demented wondering why on earth her own sh1t was chasing her. Best laugh ever :D

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭forestfruits

My cat has started shouting at me when I get home if ive left him outside (think hes annoyed I also brought a puppy into HIS house how dare I), to which I respond stop shouting at me!! Gets me some strange looks from the neighbours:D

My cat has started shouting at me when I get home if ive left him outside (think hes annoyed I also brought a puppy into HIS house how dare I), to which I respond stop shouting at me!! Gets me some strange looks from the neighbours:D
    lol, I've always believed in talking to our pets like they are people. It's so funny when they understand your tone and start barking/meowing back etc :o I have one cat that gets so happy when I ooh and aah and coo and all those stupid sounds with her, she rolls on her back and actually chirps - its a madhouse :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Seb_bixby

I've always said "Not for Puppers" to Hershey if he gets his mouth around something that he shouldn't have when we were in the house when taking it off him. If I say it now he will drop what he has and get one of his toys and look at me to see if that is alright to have. (Most of the time!:rolleyes:)
    I have since discovered that this also works when we are out walking and he has something that he shouldn't. Needless to say, we get some funny looks and people laugh at it!:D Esp, if he's sniffing at pooh that someone hasn't picked up.
    That and "Out of there, that's someones garden" and "Don't even think about it." Best is when you say it to him and he kinda sighs before continuing on his way. :D:D Too funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

Don't bring my dog in the car anymore cos she's carsick. One time I held her head out the window so she could not get sick in the car.

Buying her fish and a battered sausage at the beach

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I ran around like a maniac earlier and looked like a tool lol!! Somebody was with us and the other dogs in the gang with their little puppy - so puppy (lab x westie), a fat lab, red setter and my GR.. The pup ran off after somebody else and the guy ran off after him - placing his BATCH LOAF on a park bench for safe keeping.. Bailey was over having a mooch and did this head snap bisto kid sniff in the air thing, ran over and grabbed the loaf, it split as he was running away so a trail of bread was all over the place and the big dogs diving on it!! :rolleyes::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Our dogs are almost never in public .... So they did me proud one time two rentals ago when they were in the garden and the Gardai arrived at the gate on some matter...I had been whistle training them and still had the whistle round my neck, so blew it and called them

They behaved impeccably and the Gardai were openly deeply impressed. Nice one, girls! Now if you would just repeat that . collie when we are walking in the field and a car passes... Nah!

They seemed to know it mattered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

My female schnauzer isn't anywhere near as energetic as my male schnauzer, so when they are on long walks (hour or so), my wife will pick her up when she get tired and carry her for a minute or two.
    I always think people must think she's mad, take one dog for a "walk" and the other for a "carry".

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Vivara

I'd say half of these posts are related to picking up your dog's crap while you're walking them.

Do you realise it's possible to train your dog not to go for a crap on a walk? And it's actually really easy to do.

I walk my dog twice a day and not once does she crap on the footpath. And no, she's not constipated and she does go when I leave her out in my yard.

I understand if all of you live in apartments and you don't have a back garden or some sort of a yard, but I'd say a fair percentage of you do.

V.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    this happened to a cat of a friend of mine who had consumed a piece of ribbon. The sh1t basically hung out of the cat while she ran around demented wondering why on earth her own sh1t was chasing her. Best laugh ever :D
    Oh my god i LOL'd at this so much :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭eire-kp

Accidently gave some German tourists who were out hiking a very comprehensive lesson in some choice Irish swear words!
    My sheep dog decided to put 30 heavily pregnant ewes the wrong way around a field..they really didnt need the exercise!..cue much shouting from me and every thing worked out fine.

Turn around to go back with the dog to where the quad bike was parked..Spot them then standing there with there mouths open:pac:
    Just muttered hello and drove off:o

Were the best friends really..nothing like man and dog working as a team except when one forgets who is the leader of the pack!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

eire-kp wrote: »
    Accidently gave some German tourists who were out hiking a very comprehensive lesson in some choice Irish swear words!
    My sheep dog decided to put 30 heavily pregnant ewes the wrong way around a field..they really didnt need the exercise!..cue much shouting from me and every thing worked out fine.

Turn around to go back with the dog to where the quad bike was parked..Spot them then standing there with there mouths open:pac:
    Just muttered hello and drove off:o

Were the best friends really..nothing like man and dog working as a team except when one forgets who is the leader of the pack!!

That will end up on a travel blog!

Makes me glad we are where no one is anywhere near to hear me yell I WILL KILL YOU! at wee dog. SHE knows I don't mean it but that she has gone too far....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Oh god.

My wife has lovely long red hair, but it does tend to leave long red hair everywhere. You so sometimes find a little ball of hair in clothes when you take them out of the wash. Darcey one time must have eaten one of these and we spent about two weeks having to extract 18 inch hairs gently from her bum every time she poo'd.

She also managed to do the same with a tissue. Yes an entire tissue, which I had the pleasure of extracting one evening while worrying if I was actually pulling out my dog's lower intestine (that's what it looked like).

Bloody Staffies. When we first got her, she wouldn't eat. Now she won't stop :D

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

Having a game of hide'n'seek/chase with my dog around my parked car. I didn't realise that our neighbour was p1ssing himself laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

I recently bought a new leather collar, lead and harness for Bob. He's a real quick learner and has picked up on the fact that "come here and let me strip you off" means come over, put his paws up on me and wait till everything is taken off before running off again.

I walk him by a salt water estury and sometimes let him in for a paddle, so was there this morning, called him over, gave him that command, then realised there were two little old ladies sitting on fold up chairs, looking at me with horrified expressions on their faces! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

I tend to do a lot of DIY on my motor outside the house, and the cats are always in attendance somewhere closeby. They'll typically hang around sleeping in precarious places, or walking all over the car.

Neighbours think that's funny enough.

But, it's when sh!t like this happens that I run around like a demented gibbon wondering who's been messing with my car, or my tools whilst my back is turned.

Thank gawd for CCTV, I thought someone was messing. But no, it was Ghost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭Kali_Kalika

I've been on another thread that has made me remember another cringe-worthy moment! Oh, and I must add ... we ALL now have to add "create public online confessionals on boards.ie in case anyone has missed our crazy antics live we shall describe them indepth here!" to our ever growing lists of shame! haha

Anywho - my last dog Marley (RIP) had water issues as a puppy, so as he grew he started to like some water (puddles mainly!) and I knew he'd love to swim as all dogs do, especially of his breed mixture. So I felt bad for him, always on the shore watching his doggy friends swimming merrily. So one day I decided, on our own, I'd "teach" him how to swim. I was a novice (to say the least!) dog owner, so I wasn't aware of all the vast variety of pet accessories, so doggy life jackets are only something I've learned of recently, YEARS after one would have been useful! So by then I had formulated my plan and went and bought a harness, fitted him into it and we drove off to a quiet area on a Lough, popular fishing area, but being a weekday afternoon, seemed quiet and it appeared we had it to ourselves. So after getting him used to getting some of his legs wet (his usual limit to how far he'd go in) I led him near the dock that stuck out into the water to fish or boat from. Led him into the water near the dock and out into his prefered depth - then crawling along the dock on my knees and elbows arse pointing up in the air (basically, envision a human doing "play bow" that dogs do! Head down arse up!) I was able to hold him "afloat" in the water and he'd paddle and keep himself up with my help. Thankfully he was only a medium sized dog so it was remotely possible to keep this up for most of the afternoon. Throughout the process I'd gotten spliters in my elbow (cue cursing), drenched (gasps because I was hot and it was cold), my hair was all over the place and I was an utter mess of dog hair, grime from the dock and who knows what else - and all along I'm shouting "YAY MARLEY YAY" "swimmie swimmie fun fun" (fun fun being his "happy word" where he'd go mental for no reason if you said it and it was a great reward for him) and adding the new word/action of swimming (swimmie) and when he was doing it on his own, jumping up and down shouting more of the same non-sense over joyed with myself and more so himself. We'd been there for most of the afternoon, acting like a moron assuming we had the place to ourselves. As I'm packing up ready to go, two older men with fishing poles emerge from the bushes further down revealing the entrance to another dock, which had a great view of the dock where I had been, acting the eejit, crawling around on my knees and elbows with my arse in the air, teaching my dog to swim and saying god knows what else. I can only imagine it was one of the more interesting afternoons of fishing they have had!

I figured - at that point - the only way to retain any dignity - was to carry on as I had, pack up and return to the car, polite wave to all our "spectators" and close the door before the roar of laughter began. Thankfully I had tinted windows so my red face was slightly less visable!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

I met a neighbour (at the time of introduction, I didn't know who they were) and they said "I live near you... blah blah...have seen you out walking the dogs...blah blah ... you were looking up a dogs a arse yesterday evening" :eek: I nearly died (I must have been checking for a poo bum or something and not realised I was in public) Mortofied :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

tk123 wrote: »
    I ran around like a maniac earlier and looked like a tool lol!! Somebody was with us and the other dogs in the gang with their little puppy - so puppy (lab x westie), a fat lab, red setter and my GR.. The pup ran off after somebody else and the guy ran off after him - placing his BATCH LOAF on a park bench for safe keeping.. Bailey was over having a mooch and did this head snap bisto kid sniff in the air thing, ran over and grabbed the loaf, it split as he was running away so a trail of bread was all over the place and the big dogs diving on it!! :rolleyes::pac:
    Tk, I can go one better.... We live in a small town with a very picturesque river, often full of fishermen, walkers having picnics, people feeding ducks, etc.
    In the last week Oliver has stolen a fishermans sandwich(well the last couple of bites) and jumped into a car and stolen some bread that an older couple were feeding to the ducks!
    It's so embarrassing, good job he looks so cute and cheeky, they all laughed and said it was ok, but it's not to me, so lead on near people from now on.
    He seems to go through naughty phases, he thinks me shouting drop it and chasing him is a game!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Seb_bixby

Myself and Hershey seem to have made a lasting impression on some American tourists. We were playing one of our usual games where I throw a stick and Hershey fetches it and when he comes back I say "I'm going to get you" in, yes I will admit, the high pitched baby voice. He runs off with stick in mouth, and I chase after him, repeating "I'm going to get you, ooh i'm going to get you". It's great fun and I usually end up laughing at him. :rolleyes:
    Tbh, I kinda forgot how silly I must look. So these tourists were down where we take our walk, taking scenic pictures, and I could hear them roaring and laughing but didn't pass any heed. When we went by them, they said that it was so funny watching and the way Hershey will run really close to me and then take off. One of them had actually taken pictures of it. Morto :o:o. Of course they also loved the fact that his name was Hershey!! :D

Advertisement