Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spraoi festival 2012

Options
  • 11-07-2012 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

http://www.spraoi.com/

Aug 3rd to 5th! great to see the parade back!

This is Waterford's Big event! Please try to publicize as much as possible!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭deisemum

I must get on to the rellies in the West and invite them down for it. They can always go to the local Galway Races early in the week.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Can't wait as always.

And the parade has finally gone back to the night time!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Can't wait as always.

And the parade has finally gone back to the night time!
    Thank feck for that. Messing with the parade times was one change that just did not work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

looking forward to the SawDocs gig!

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

I think the route for the Parade isn't along the Quay this year though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

comeraghs wrote: »
    I think the route for the Parade isn't along the Quay this year though.

That's got to piss off the few shops that are along the quay. Do you know the new route?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

On the site
    ParadeRoute.jpg

Ah crap, that's an even longer walk up to the Forum afterwards now!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I remember sproaoi being brilliant craic back in like 2007 and before that. I dont know what it is exactly but I dont think it has been as good the past few years. I think that sproai in the park thing took away from the greatness of a lot of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

cocoshovel wrote: »
    I remember sproaoi being brilliant craic back in like 2007 and before that. I dont know what it is exactly but I dont think it has been as good the past few years. I think that sproai in the park thing took away from the greatness of a lot of it.

Out of curiosity...have you been to recent Spraoi Festivals as much as, say, back in 2007? What I mean is, have you taken in as many acts in recent years?

I was discussing this very subject with someone recently and they said to me that the recent Spraoi festivals have been poor enough. Upon closer interrogation I discovered that he hadn't even been in to the last two festivals.

It sounds ridiculous but people haven't been going out as much in recent years, and that includes to the sproai festival.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Out of curiosity...have you been to recent Spraoi Festivals as much as, say, back in 2007? What I mean is, have you taken in as many acts in recent years?

I was discussing this very subject with someone recently and they said to me that the recent Spraoi festivals have been poor enough. Upon closer interrogation I discovered that he hadn't even been in to the last two festivals.

It sounds ridiculous but people haven't been going out as much in recent years, and that includes to the sproai festival.

I have been to the recent ones, all of them. It just doesnt seem as lively for some reason. The parades arent as interest and they havent drawn as large crowds as before. JR square doesnt seem to be as bustling. I dont know what it is, perhaps Im just no fun anymore :(

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

It's always a great weekend and a great boost for the city, just hope the weather improves a bit by then!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Lets hope that like in recent festivals alcohol doesnt ruin a good time for other people and that parents set a good example for young kids!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

From 2004 - 2007 & again last year myself and my OH have been coming down from Galway to Spraoi. We love this festival & it's special to us because 8 years ago it marked our first holiday away together.

This year we had the Volvo Ocean Race in Galway and yes it was absolutely epic, but is a very rare treat. Apart from that Spraoi is the best annual festival without a doubt. When I was a kid growing up in the city the Galway Arts Festival used to have a strong street presence. When it was on, you knew it was on. Today it's a completely different story and has been for years. Nothing is free! and there is no buzz/atmosphere on the streets.

Spraoi fills that gap nicely for us, and it being the 20th Anniversary, we are looking forward to a great weekend. I hope the weather keeps it together.

Looking forward to the night time parade again, and hoping they bring out the fireworks afterwards.

From 2004 - 2007 & again last year myself and my OH have been coming down from Galway to Spraoi. We love this festival & it's special to us because 8 years ago it marked our first holiday away together.

This year we had the Volvo Ocean Race in Galway and yes it was absolutely epic, but is a very rare treat. Apart from that Spraoi is the best annual festival without a doubt. When I was a kid growing up in the city the Galway Arts Festival used to have a strong street presence. When it was on, you knew it was on. Today it's a completely different story and has been for years. Nothing is free! and there is no buzz/atmosphere on the streets.

Spraoi fills that gap nicely for us, and it being the 20th Anniversary, we are looking forward to a great weekend. I hope the weather keeps it together.

Looking forward to the night time parade again, and hoping they bring out the fireworks afterwards.

I always find it very interesting to hear about Spraoi from a "foreigner"! I'm fiercely protective of it as I think it's quite unique and something we should be very proud of down here. There are always other things going on during the August bank holiday weekend but I'd forego all of those to support our local festival. But it is great to hear it held in high enough regard for you and your OH to make the journey down more often than not.

Here's hoping it's a good one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 GiveEmHellKid

I enjoyed Spraoi a lot last year but I got to see it from another point of view as a steward! A lot of hard work goes into every single aspect of the festival and everyone involved desirve huge kudos!
    Looking forward to this year just as much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

I've just been informed about this.

Are there any B&Bs (if any still available) that anyone could recommend that would be close the where this is all happening?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

This is a good site for Waterford City, its the councils site for Waterford. They also have a cool map of Waterford. Its a new enough site, but it does the job perfect for info on Waterford which is a great city. Spraoi is brilliant festival to be at!

http://www.discoverwaterfordcity.ie/

If you want to stay about 10-15mins away from the city, you could stay in a seaside resort of Tramore which tends to get a lot of visitors for Spraoi as its such a quick journey into Waterford (Buses available also) then you can visit the site I run for info;

http://www.discovertramore.ie

Either way, Spraoi is a real treat IMO wherever you stay. Waterford City & County has lovely hotels, B&Bs and self catering options available, some with great bargains to be had :)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Swissarmyknife

Have always gone to the Spraoi,its a great event to have in the city,with some good bands,and street theatre to cheer us up.:)
    Long may it last,as it would be a big loss to the city and county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

So annoyed, was going to go to the launch of Sprog's 'Sugar' Exhibition today with the kids. I checked the website last week to see if tickets were needed. The weeks events were divided into either 1) cost per ticket, 2) free admission (but pre check-in required) and then 3) 'Sugar' said the opening day (today) was free admission and all welcome.

Then yesterday Garter Lane put up a post on Facebook saying that from Tuesday to Friday was nearly booked out for 'Sugar'. So I went on Garter Lane's website to see the availability of tickets and lo and behold TODAY (the launch) is SOLD OUT?? WTF?! :confused: Bad form, it never said anywhere tickets were needed for today. I also wanted to put the little one into the Cartoon Saloon drawing class on Friday but that's sold out too. I can take that one on the chin though, I knew tickets had to be bought for that and was leaving it to today to book one, obviously I'm too late, that's my fault, but poor advertising for the launch of 'Sugar'. It was never made clear anywhere that free pre-booked tickets were needed. :o

Rant over! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I think last year was completely overshadowed by The Tall Ships and a lot of people hadn't a penny to their name when Spraoi came around. I'm looking forward to this year as it's my first year in 7 years where I'm completely free to enjoy the entire festival. Lots of local talent are performing which is great to see. Also I see that the festival club is free on Friday this year, so I assume that wristbands are being done away with?

AdMMM wrote: »
    I think last year was completely overshadowed by The Tall Ships and a lot of people hadn't a penny to their name when Spraoi came around. I'm looking forward to this year as it's my first year in 7 years where I'm completely free to enjoy the entire festival. Lots of local talent are performing which is great to see. Also I see that the festival club is free on Friday this year, so I assume that wristbands are being done away with?
    I'd say it's to try get people up there. I was there last year, and there wasn't much of a crowd compared to normal. Hopefully it's back on track this year. The Forum is normally a highlight of Spraoi.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Did I imagine it or was the parade on the Sunday night at some point, I never remember it being on the Saturday, 9:30pm is a grand time too.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Did I imagine it or was the parade on the Sunday night at some point, I never remember it being on the Saturday, 9:30pm is a grand time too.

Yeah it was never the Saturday night. Seems strange alright but at least it's at night again.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 DRUMorDIE

Does anyone know what way the bus to Cork is running on the Saturday of Spraoi? Have a small occasion to attend in Dungarven and heres me stuck without a license :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

DRUMorDIE wrote: »
    Does anyone know what way the bus to Cork is running on the Saturday of Spraoi? Have a small occasion to attend in Dungarven and heres me stuck without a license :(

The buses should run as normal, they might just take an alternative route in the city. I'd double check just in case its different because of the bank holiday weekend tho

• Registered Users Posts: 20 DRUMorDIE

Sully wrote: »
    The buses should run as normal, they might just take an alternative route in the city. I'd double check just in case its different because of the bank holiday weekend tho

Cheers, if only Bus Eireann's website was some way decent

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

That's a bit strange (and a bit crap too) that the parade & the fireworks aren't a back to back finale. It was typical that you come for the parade, stay for the fireworks at night and it was always class. I'm not sure if I'm a fan of putting 24hours between the two events.

I downloaded the programme ages ago, but only realized this from the posts above.

Anybody know the justification for this?

I'm guessing it's that, due to the roadworks on The Quay, this in no longer a suitable venue for the parade. The fireworks have to be on The Quay. So I suppose they don't want thousands of people flocking to The Quay from Johnstown or wherever after the parade. They probably wouldn't even be allowed do so if they wished.

If this is correct, we've seen the last of parades on The Quay.

• Advertisement

oh yeah! I didn't think of the roadworks on the quay. I doubt they'll be able to get big floats up past that new roundabout too easy.

Advertisement